Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

2009 Facelift Is220d

Does anyone think that Lexus will put the Sport gearing into the SE and SE-L Models for the new 2009 model?

I am stuck between buying an IS220d or BMW 320d. I dont want the petrol autmoatic, it has to be diesel. I know the BMW will be faster and will give better MPG, but something draws me to the Lexus. I like it's looks, it's standard equipment and the fact that it is a little bit more exclusive to everything else on the market.

I am however worried about the reliability and engine problems the diesel is known for.

So I think I am holding out until the 2009 facelift model comes to see if they have sorted the engine problems.

So I just wondering if anyone has heard about whether there will be any revisions to then engine.

Thanks

Joe406.

Does anyone think that Lexus will put the Sport gearing into the SE and SE-L Models for the new 2009 model?

I am stuck between buying an IS220d or BMW 320d. I dont want the petrol autmoatic, it has to be diesel. I know the BMW will be faster and will give better MPG, but something draws me to the Lexus. I like it's looks, it's standard equipment and the fact that it is a little bit more exclusive to everything else on the market.

I am however worried about the reliability and engine problems the diesel is known for.

So I think I am holding out until the 2009 facelift model comes to see if they have sorted the engine problems.

So I just wondering if anyone has heard about whether there will be any revisions to then engine.

Thanks

Joe406.

as far as i know there are no changes to the engine or gear ratio's.reliability is not a major issue although some breakdowns were posted on here i think that they were a minority.i agree about buying the 2009 spec and i would order in december for january deliveryas the dealers will be on their knees by then.get a three day test drive on both then decide.

good luck

I have to admit the minor tweaks and improvements (i.e. facelift) to the current 3-Series saloon (which I believe came out 20 September, just over a week ago) does make it even more appealing.

Of course you might just want to buy a Lexus and it is value for money with all the toys you get as standard!

I can't really comment but the motoring press did slate the IS220d and the 320d would be the 'obvious' better choice?

You could just buy the sport. Its about the same price as the SE-L and has similar toys with a few differences.

It's the lack of leather seats that would put me off the Sport over the SE-L - otherwise it has a better spec imo

I would disagree about the comment that reliability is a minor issue. I have a 10 month old IS220d and frankly it's p*ssing me off despite having all the known fixes for the poor running done under warranty. Now, with 26k on the clock is't going back to the dealer tomorrow for the fourth time as the poor starting, poor throttle response, the feeling it is down on power and erratic economy are all starting to reappear.

Given the choice, I'd take the BMW if I knew what I know now when I was choosing the car

I'm sure that I read on a Japanese website that the new 09MY IS220d would have 164g/km C02 - so that is 4g/km less than the current model. It surely means that they have tinkered with something...I reckon it will have a new a ECU mapping - same output, just different algorithms to try and improve in the relatively poor performance, flat spots, lethargic response to throttle etc ('cos it don't feel fast or economical)...

I'm sure Lexus will run the 220d in it's current engine config until a point where they can't sell any and then drop it until the G3 comes out, probably in 2012ish. That's my gut feel - unless they can shoehowrn in the elctric motors and LiON battries and make a petrol hybrid version, which would make a heavy car even heavier, or Stop start technology??

Time will tell - in the meantime, if it had to be an IS220d within 2-3 months, I'd only recommend buying an 08 only 'cos there are some great deals, or better still wait for the 09ModYear before commiting any cash.

Personally - I would take some time out, take a cold shower and go test drive other cars within this price...cars like the New Honda Accord CDTI, even the new Mondeo, A4, New facelifted 3 series, C Class and Passatt. that way you'll get a much better idea of what the Lexus offers in comparison. I'd also rcommend that you ignore the options as standard and concentrate on the drive and efficiency - because everything else will become relative quickly...

Only you can make the final choice...

Actually, according to Lexus Eu, gas mileage and CO² have been slightly improved on 'standard' IS220d (God knows how they manage to achieve this)and more significantly improved on the Sport IS220d by moving to a different final gear ratio which sits in between the former very 'short' gear ratio and the 'extra long' standard ratio.

IS2009_Specs_2.jpg

IS2009_Specs_3.jpg

If I was buing now, I would seriously consider C200k.

Possibly - however anything they do to tinker with the current setup will only improve things I'm sure - it really needs a complete redesign in my view and may be better if the ratio sits between the Sport and the Standard! I suppose the down side could be that the 1st gear will seem even shorter to those who are used the "taller" 1st on the existing standard setup.

the only downside (for me) on current gearbox (I have non sport) is the difference between 2nd and 3rd.

1st is absolutely OK.

PS: 5er is being sold out now as the new version is at the door, so the prices are really nice now. However I have not heard too much good on 5er, regarding the reliability. But I hope&wish the best for your car.

I just hope that Lexus have taken all the feedback from owners and excellent sites like this to make the IS a better car, not that it was that far from perfect to start with.

I have always liked the IS from a VFM perspective. If you are buying a car with good spec and looks, good reputation etc then Lexus is it - but I still think the 250 Auto is more a "Lexus" than the diesel ever could be...unless they could shove an auto box in. That for me has been the biggest failing on Lexus's part - they don't seem to provide enough variations in a model/spec in the UK, you get what they decide you need for the market and that is it!!

So far the BMW has been perfect - it is economical, fast, hasjust enough toys and is extremely well made. I won't have my Beemer long enough hopefully for reliability to be an issue - 2 years then I'll be moving on...most of the reliability issues affected the pre 2005 models - i.e. the earlier ones....and though I like the XF (it's growing on me) I couldn't buy one!! The new E Class might be good. If I keep the 5 longer, then it will be for another 5 vyears - I'll give the F10 a look over when it has it's had a midlife refresh.

Having said that, most BMW's are company owned and thrashed (you rarely see BMW's being overtaken) which is why they suffer poorly. Company car drivers don't let Turbo's cool down, oil to get to the top of the block before using all the horses etc...

The ones that are Privately owned tend to fair well. We have a few in the wider friends and family and all are very solid. A 535d (07) is now at 60K on the clock and running as sweet as a nut!! It gets through a lot of tyres though (rears every 15-18k and fronts every 25k - the torque is so addictive), but is averaging 42mpg on a run no matter how it's driven!

A friend has an 06 plate 530i, 74k now from new and runs perfectly too - though it is thirstier. It averages 27mpg, though neither cars are the Efficient Dynamics model.

Both cars have had nothing other than basic servicing done and drive like new still...Mine is ED as is a 523i SE a relative bought just before I got mine - that is an Auto too, and SE modle and manages 40-45mpg on a run at 70 .

Another friend has just got a 523i Sport Auto - 2005 - and even that seems very solid. There are also a couple of 318 and 320is, which are both petrol and very good so far!!

I would consider a Lexus again. Definitely not an IS - had my fingers burned...but I would still consider a GS even though they share some of the components (floorplan etc)... not the current Hybrid though - the boot is a joke.

Actually, according to Lexus Eu, gas mileage and CO² have been slightly improved on 'standard' IS220d (God knows how they manage to achieve this)and more significantly improved on the Sport IS220d by moving to a different final gear ratio which sits in between the former very 'short' gear ratio and the 'extra long' standard ratio.

IS2009_Specs_2.jpg

IS2009_Specs_3.jpg

I can see they have managed to reduce the CO2 emissions on the 220D Sport considerably (from 195 to 179), and it has fallen off a level in the car tax charges, which basically means a saving of around £60 a year in tax.

Moreover, the final drive ratio has been changed again for the 220D Sport, which might improve the gearing (or perhaps they have made the ratios in the Sport longer to reduce the CO2 emissions?).

Just a point-----------know of no Efficient Dynamics Bm that actually achieves anywhere near the stated mpg which was something else that put me off a cracking deal on a 330i.

Tel

Just a point-----------know of no Efficient Dynamics Bm that actually achieves anywhere near the stated mpg which was something else that put me off a cracking deal on a 330i.

Tel

You might think this funny, but just like with my old Audi, I don't have an issue any more hitting stated figures...

Mine is ED (not fully - it doen't have Stop/Start or the auto grill vents). It does beat the stated figures on the combined run - I can consistently get 45-50 mpg on a run. Just yesterday I did 248 miles, average speed of 42.2 mph (from the midlands, to centra London!!!!! and back, crawling in London and 70-73mph when I could on the M1), and got 45.9mpg overall at the pumps (trip said 46.3), against the government figures of 43.5. So now you know of one.

It's a different story around town - I'm normally between 1-4 mpg below the government stated 33.2mpg...try as I might...sometimes I have to use the Steptronics to make it change a little earlier over 30mpg...

I don't think that BMW have won heaps of awards internationally by sitting still or having something gimmicky...they've taken the jump on Hybrid technology with a halfway house...I can verify it!

the Petrol ED cars are slightly inferior. in a 530i (270odd bhp), I could only manage 34 mpg over 1.5 hours over A road and Motorway driving, which is a couple lower than the 37odd statd.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links