Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Tax From 2010

Well it was a very unpopular move and there was a lot of complaints about it.

I wrote to my local MP and to Downing St.

It's nonsense especially on a car like the IS200 where it's production run overlapped 2001.

A 2000 IS200 and a 2004 IS200 are exactly the same car in terms of emissions, yet one is paying twice the other.

But - I've not heard of it being scrapped so far although I do have my fingers crossed!!!!

Haven't caught the news yet, but I wouldn't be surprised. They can't start charging people more money any more or there's no way they'll get re-elected (although I'm still hoping it won't happen anyway)

Looks like it's just the retrospective bit (i.e. for people who already had these cars before the changes were announced) that is being delayed - although that's certainly the bit that made the least sense.

Good news for those who already had the later cars, although I can't help feeling that it won't help anyone who wants to sell a car in this age bracket. Also it doesn't look like it helps anyone who bought a later car after the changes were announced in 2006.

It is good news, and definitely a step in the right direction. I don't think they'll introduce it now at all if it's really that unpopular even with the MPs. Yep don't get the point of the 06 cut-off still, but it's not so bad as with newer cars it is possible to get some nice motors that still sit under the 225 limit.

Looks like it's just the retrospective bit (i.e. for people who already had these cars before the changes were announced) that is being delayed - although that's certainly the bit that made the least sense.

To be honest I thought the tax rises were harsh, but on new cars at least people know about them and can change their buying decision appropriately. But ripping people off on cars as much as 7 years old (2001) was just disgusting.

To be honest I thought the tax rises were harsh, but on new cars at least people know about them and can change their buying decision appropriately. But ripping people off on cars as much as 7 years old (2001) was just disgusting.

Spot on. I think the crucial date is 24 March 2006. If you bought an IS200 before then it went into Band F. If you bought a car on or after the it went into Band G (new banding with a punitive rate --- you knew what you were getting into.) Hopefuly Band F will continue at c. £210

Spot on. I think the crucial date is 24 March 2006. If you bought an IS200 before then it went into Band F. If you bought a car on or after the it went into Band G (new banding with a punitive rate --- you knew what you were getting into.) Hopefuly Band F will continue at c. £210

EDIT... having blonde moment

I don't post here that often, but ....

Yay!

a little bit of common sense at last.

That might well be enough to see me keep the IS for another couple of years; I know the difference is only a couple of hundred quid a year, but retrospectively applying this tax band to vehicles from 2001 was crazy.

Direct.Gov.Uk suggest the date is 23rd March 2006 not 24th, but either way this is not such good news for anyone with a car registered from that date onwards.

Direct.Gov.Uk suggest the date is 23rd March 2006 not 24th, but either way this is not such good news for anyone with a car registered from that date onwards.

That date is the cut-off for when you *bought* your car, not for when it's been originally registered. Maybe that's what you meant, but I just thought I'd clarify :winky:

Im not convinced thats right I think it is cars registered between those dates rather than bought. Same as it is for post 2001 cars.

The problem youd have with that sort of thing is people not passing on or informing the dvla of changes plus it would be a nightmare to administer.

Its probably all cars pre 2006 that will be fine regardless of when purchased

http://www.parkers.co.uk/news/Road-tax/Road-Tax-U-Turn-/

Rates effective from 13 March 2008

Date of Registration 6 Months 12 Months Band CO2 (g/km)

17 Oct 2003 – 1 Oct 2004 £115.50 £210.00 F 231

Rates effective from April 2009

17 Oct 2003 – 1 Oct 2004 £165.00 £300.00 K 231

Rates effective from April 2010

17 Oct 2003 – 1 Oct 2004 £236.50 £430.00 L 231

99-06 IS200

Even Gordon wouldn't devise a scheme where the tax varied according to when you bought the vehicle.

Or would he?

that was my blonde moment a few posts up..for a minute i thought it was the date of purchase :whistling: ....rather than registration.....clearly that would be nuts...wouldnt it :crybaby:

Looks like it is indeed going to be date of registration, is sanity perhaps prevailing at long last ?

Yes but not entirely!

My father in law has a Merc E270. It was registered in the UK in 1999 but was exported out the country, as it was an Armed Forces car. It was brought back into the UK in about 2004 I think, and was re-registered. I've only heard this 2nd hand so am not 100% sure of the facts, but it's definitely a 1999 car as it's on a W reg!

He noticed the car was in the top tax bracket of the CO2-type bands, and not the pre-CO2 bands, so he called the DVLA. When he queried what the tax bands went off, they said it was the date of *first* registration. When he pointed out the car was actually registered in the UK in 1999, they then backtracked and said it was the date of *last* registration.

That seems dishonest to me, the car was made in 1999 and technically they don't have emissions data it because their figures only start on 2001 models!

@ Doog> :)

@ Paradroid> There was a query similar to that on the Honest John column in the Telegraph the other day and the advice was that the owner should be able to prove the date of first registration and have the tax reduced.

@ Paradroid> There was a query similar to that on the Honest John column in the Telegraph the other day and the advice was that the owner should be able to prove the date of first registration and have the tax reduced.

:) If it was me I'd be kicking off, putting it in writing and all that. He's not the type to kick up a fuss though, so will probably end up putting up with it. Might make it hard for him to sell the car on though, 1999 model and £400 a year tax, people will not be keen

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links