Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Wife Put 10 L Of Diesel In The Gs 450

My wife put 10 Litres of diesel in the GS450 H (which of course is petrol). She drive 2 miles back home, no black smoke. RAC are going to tow it to Lexus so they can drain it. Anybody know what sort of damage could have occured, if it's knackered the cat's is it an expensive job?

Gutted

How much fuel's in the tank? On one of my older Toyotas the fuel sender was bolted to the top of the tank and accessed by flipping up the seat. Maybe the same here? If that's the case, and the tank's not too full, perhaps the sender can be unbolted and the fuel syphoned out from there?

I wouldn't do it with a full tank as you'll get petrol everywhere.

on the ls400 the fuel tank is in the boot behind rear seats, open boot remove trim and the tanks in front of u the's about 8 screws to remove sender unit and syphoning is a lot easier, i believe the lexus's have a anti syphon system in place hence the reason i syphoned the fuel out of the sender unit hole after trying for ages to extract the fuel in a old ls400 i had before scrappin it. personally i would let a garage see to ur problem in case the system is contaminated. best of luck mate

diesel in a petrol isnt as bad as petrol in a diesel!! lets say you had 10lrts of petrol in the car then your wife put 10 of diesel in the car now you have 20lrts in the tank ,now lets say to fill it full the tank holds 70 lrts!what i would have done is taken it back to the petrol station and filled to the brim with vpower or super unleaded job done no garage bills no nothing as the diesel would have been diluted more than enough to cause no harm!!!

How can you accidentally put diesel in a petrol car ? Isn't the petrol filler neck narrow so you can't get the diesel nozzle in ?

I thought you could only accidentally do it the other way round, i.e. petrol in a diesel.

she's good mate shes good!!either it was forced in or the nozzle wasn't even in the neck.lol

diesel in a petrol isnt as bad as petrol in a diesel!! lets say you had 10lrts of petrol in the car then your wife put 10 of diesel in the car now you have 20lrts in the tank ,now lets say to fill it full the tank holds 70 lrts!what i would have done is taken it back to the petrol station and filled to the brim with vpower or super unleaded job done no garage bills no nothing as the diesel would have been diluted more than enough to cause no harm!!!

I thought it was the other way around. Put a bit petrol in a tank of diesel and you may get some smoke, but put diesel in a petrol car and you wont run and will damage the cat.

I think this is the reason the diesel filler nosel is bigger on the diesel pump than the petrol. It's more important to keep diesel out of a petrol car than petrol out of a diesel car.

I've put 7 litres of petrol in a full tank of diesel on a Ford C-max without any problems at all, not even any smoke and no problems running.

EDIT

I found this from a quick search

Petrol in a diesel engine Breakdown organisations put the figure of petrol misfuelling at around 150,000 cars a year, with repair bills totalling hundreds of millions of pounds. Petrol will strip your diesel engine of the lubricant used to keep it ticking over and cause metal components to grate against each other and disintegrate. This runs the risk of damaging the fuel pump and fuel-injection systems, or wrecking an engine completely if used for a significant amount of time. To make matters worse pre-ignition systems start fuel pumps in new diesel models when car doors are unlocked. This cuts out the time it takes for new diesel engines to warm up, but means that diesel engines can be ruined by petrol by simply unlocking doors. The fuel pump and injection systems and filters will likely need to be replaced on new models, while an entire engine could be wrecked beyond repair if it has been run for long enough. Regardless of the extent of the damage, the repair bill could potentially run into thousands of pounds. Avoiding turning the engine over or stopping as soon as possible is vital to prevent more damage to the engine in these circumstances. A fuel-tank drain could be sufficient in such cases to prevent damage. Diesel in a petrol engine Theoretically it should be hard to fill a petrol tank with diesel, as diesel nozzles are too wide to fit into the tank. However using diesel in a petrol engine may destroy the engine´s catalytic converter, necessitating a costly replacement.

I once put a few litres of petrol in a Peugeot 406 diesel. So I brimmed it with diesel and kept my fingers crossed. No problems. Couldn't tell.

Have yo say it takes a degree of ingenuity to get a diesel nozzle in a petrol filler though. Probably working on the principle that if it's more expensive it's got to be better :shutit:

RAC are going to tow it to Lexus so they can drain it.

Gutted

you will be gutted when you get the bill from Lexus :whistling:

its a bank holiday, go and rescue it and get someone to drain the tank and use it in his lawnmower ..fill up with petrol

job done

wouldnt bother with the dealer mate as they will rape u with a huge bill - fill it up with petrol and just drive the thing.........

also how did she manage to put diesel in the car???

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links