Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just Collected My Is250 Se-l

Hi everyone. My first posting :crybaby:

Collected my IS250 SE-L yesterday afternoon from Lexus in Wolves. It's 2009 spec, in Cadoxton Slate with full multimedia etc - just 5 months old. I traded in my beloved 5 year old IS200 Sport, which I bought new from Lexus in Chester.

As iside from a couple of paintwork niggles, which i'm sending it back for, first impressions are very good. Lots and lots of toys to play with, many of which i'm trying to figure out, especially the voice recognition.

Strangely, I only discovered this forum when I was looking to change my car. There seem to be alot of gripes about IS250's, but i'm guessing (hoping) that this is just a symptom of forums in general, ie: people only tend to post when they are unhappy about something!

Anyway, will sign off for now, and hope my first posting hasn't bored you too much.

Welcome along Johnny. You know I owned a fiat once (for my sins) and was a member of the fiat forum, reading some of the posts you would think that fiats were the worst cars in the world. Mine was reliable and a great car. Saying that, I found the best ecu remappers for 1.9JTD engines on this forum (which I would not without it) and ended up with a 155bhp monster that was truely a great drive. The deeper you delve the more good stuff you find. Some of tips and tricks will also save you a fortune no doubt too.

For me, the best part is the stuff you learn.

Sound like a lovely car you have got there, I'm jealous :-)

All the best.

Welcome to LOC :D

As you've said a lot of people only come on here to say the bad stuff, but there are a lot of happy owners though. However, the only problem I've ever heard of relating to the IS250 is regarding dash rattles, the other problems all relate to the IS220d. If you've got no rattles, you should be fine :)

Fundamentally the IS250 is a very good car. Filled to the brim with gadgets and toys and I wouldn't worry too much about something going wrong (thats why you have a warranty). Some cars go wrong, some do not. just enjoy the car,get to know it and I am sure you will never look back.

More gripes out the IS220d - IS250 totally different (and better) car. How about some pics for us!

It would have been better to come on here and find out all about your car before you bought it, but worry not. You've made a great choice with the IS250, what you will glean from the forum is, if you're very unlucky, you may get an occasional niggle.

Hi everyone. My first posting :crybaby:

Collected my IS250 SE-L yesterday afternoon from Lexus in Wolves. It's 2009 spec, in Cadoxton Slate with full multimedia etc - just 5 months old. I traded in my beloved 5 year old IS200 Sport, which I bought new from Lexus in Chester.

As iside from a couple of paintwork niggles, which i'm sending it back for, first impressions are very good. Lots and lots of toys to play with, many of which i'm trying to figure out, especially the voice recognition.

Strangely, I only discovered this forum when I was looking to change my car. There seem to be alot of gripes about IS250's, but i'm guessing (hoping) that this is just a symptom of forums in general, ie: people only tend to post when they are unhappy about something!

Anyway, will sign off for now, and hope my first posting hasn't bored you too much.

Hi Dude,

welcome to L.O.C- good first post and you will soon get hitched into this site - and yes it is very usefull and full of good and bad comments regarding the IS250 range.From my point of veiw I have had the IS250 se-l auto for some 3 years now and I know I have moaned and groaned about it but it has never once let the wife down and always fired up first go.My only gripe with the IS was the cost of ownership and I know they say if you cant afford to run it dont buy it .From its launch Lexus published facts that dont live in the real world -the auto goes through front discs and pads like its going out of fashion - every 10 to 15k pads and every 15 to 20 k discs and can burn oil between services -compare that to my 57 B.M.W 320D M sport auto over 27k its cost a total of 180 quid in service charges and the on board comp shows that the pads will run until 40k .To cut a long story short would I buy another IS250 - you bet I would -it still looks great when clean and goes like new ( I have changed my mind over the last 12 months ) and the wife loves it .Lexus will and do look after their customes although it sounds that this depends wher you live in the U.K .

have a ball in your new car .

cheers

Swager

and can burn oil between services

:huh: Don't like the sound of that! I've had my 250 SE-L from new in December 2005 and it doesn't burn any oil (that is measurable on the dip stick) between annual services. Come to think of it my 2001 X plate IS 200 Sport doesn't either, and that's got around 90K on the clock. In fact like most Lexus, the oil on the dipstick always looks like it was just poured in, whenever I check it. :)

I wouldn't get too worried about the pads and discs. I've had two IS250 Autos and the first one's pads lasted 25k before they needed replacing and the discs were still fine at 35k when I sold it. The one I have now has 25k on it and there is plenty of meat left on the pads. Neither has burned any oil.

I know this has been asked before, but i cant find it on a search.

What mpg are the 250 auto's getting, as ill be coming from a 320d which is getting 43mpg at the moment, the demo i drove was getting 34 but im sure thats not the best they can do?.

I wouldn't get too worried about the pads and discs. I've had two IS250 Autos and the first one's pads lasted 25k before they needed replacing and the discs were still fine at 35k when I sold it. The one I have now has 25k on it and there is plenty of meat left on the pads. Neither has burned any oil.

My 250 Auto is on 40k and still original pads and disks.

What mpg are the 250 auto's getting, as ill be coming from a 320d which is getting 43mpg at the moment, the demo i drove was getting 34 but im sure thats not the best they can do?.

Have a look at:

http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/26-...9&gearing=2

It's in litres etc but it will give you some idea if you convert to mpg

and can burn oil between services

:huh: Don't like the sound of that! I've had my 250 SE-L from new in December 2005 and it doesn't burn any oil (that is measurable on the dip stick) between annual services. Come to think of it my 2001 X plate IS 200 Sport doesn't either, and that's got around 90K on the clock. In fact like most Lexus, the oil on the dipstick always looks like it was just poured in, whenever I check it. :)

Hi tango,

yes totally agree with you but have lost the battle with Lexus on this one ,they say you can burn up to a liter of oil every 1000 miles .I have to top up every 5k .

cheers

swager

Welcome to the Club

and enjoy the Ride

when i was first looking for my IS200 i was told to look on here

Wish i had not !! i must admit it did but me off a bit

Gear box problems, ball joints, ignition switches, headlamp goldfish bowls, etc etc

glad i went with my own judgement in the end

And am i right i seen someone say there BMW320d is giving a return of 43MPG OMG :whistling: thought all german cars

gave a return of 70mpg :winky:

Also it does seem strange about the oil as my Diesel dont even touch the oil between services

and My old IS200 sport x reg i had before she went had 150k on the clock and it did not touch a drop of oil

i swear the stick went in to a seprate oil tank as it never moved

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome.

You have chosen well.

I have had 3 mk.1 IS 200s,one 300 & two 250 SEL-Autos that have covered c.200k. miles & have never used a drop of oil or consumed brake discs.

The Launch IS 250 niggles were quite rare & resolved pretty quickly as reflected in the 80% plus Customer Loyalty figure.

L.O.C. Members are real enthusiasts who represent a very small but significant body of opinion on The Lexus Experience that far surpasses any other Car Club in terms of its wide knowledge base ,friendliness & openness to all issues.

Our JD Power performance underlines just how good the Lexus product is & the significant depreciation improvement over same spec. German cars cements this position.

Tel :driving:

I have an IS250SE-L. I done a recent trip(just for a drive) from Birmingham to Bangor(Noth Wales) back to Birmingham. There was a mixture of roads and motorway driving to Bangor and then I drove on the A5 all the way to Telford where i joined the M54 back to Birmingham. I drove carefully and did not accelerate hard, according to the trip readout the tank average was 41.9MPG I was well chuffed as I am used to seeing it read araound 32MPG. I am trying to upload a picture of the MPG but having some problems, I shall try to get that sorted soon

I have an IS250SE-L. I done a recent trip(just for a drive) from Birmingham to Bangor(Noth Wales) back to Birmingham. There was a mixture of roads and motorway driving to Bangor and then I drove on the A5 all the way to Telford where i joined the M54 back to Birmingham. I drove carefully and did not accelerate hard, according to the trip readout the tank average was 41.9MPG I was well chuffed as I am used to seeing it read araound 32MPG. I am trying to upload a picture of the MPG but having some problems, I shall try to get that sorted soon

I did lichfield to manchester yesterday in mrs Jeromes 250 at 37 each way, mainly 70-75 on the motorways. My 220 does the same at about 46.

all with 'gentle' acceleration

Just shows you how engine efficiency has improved. I can get 37 mpg out of my IS200, but that is only 150bhp not 200bhp and a larger car. Isn't it about time the greens started praising car makers, for a change.

Off topic, whatever happened to the hole in the ozone layer. I know, they got rid of the CFC's - marvelous, but didn't realise that the substitute is a greenhouse gas. If cars can be taxed according to their CO2's why can't cows. Never happen though.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links