Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wanted an ls400 for years, got one 132,000 miles. Had it 6 weeks and sounds like the engine died. Engine gets louder and louder knocking noise. Seems to come from the nearside.

I will never be able to afford to get it fixed so looks like my dream car was not what I had hoped :crybaby:

Loved it while it worked.

Oh well time to look out for a Punto.

Wanted an ls400 for years, got one 132,000 miles. Had it 6 weeks and sounds like the engine died. Engine gets louder and louder knocking noise. Seems to come from the nearside.

I will never be able to afford to get it fixed so looks like my dream car was not what I had hoped :crybaby:

I'm sorry to hear that mate :(

Could be something not terminal, I rebuilt an engine once, only to have a terrible clatter when I started it- sounded like the engine was wrecked, turned out to be the fan blade hitting a hose clip.

Even if it is some terminal engine thing, a replacement second hand engine might not be that pricey

I have to agree with everyone else these engines are normally "bulletproof" so unless there's no oil in there it might not be as bad as you think.

Could you not video the engine/noise and get it on Youtube so we can have a listen?

If you weren't so far away I would pop round.

Sounds like big ends :-( Decided to sell and move on. Shame as had 4 new alloys and tyres that cost over 800 pounds. Never mind these things happen.

I do hope you kept the original wheels?

But indeed...not time just yet to throw in the towel. You have to seriously neglect these engines to get them to fail.

Hi where in Essex are you I could come around & give you a second opinion

Hi where in Essex are you I could come around & give you a second opinion

I am in Great Dunmow, 5 mins from Stansted Airport

I'm not too far from you either, although it appears you already have kind offers of help. You could also try calling Westfield Motors at Rayleigh (Chris or Ian) - not sure if they'd want to travel quite that far up but might be worth asking. They're ex-Toyota guys and really do know their stuff with these cars.

132k miles is nothing on an LS400. It should still be running like new. However, I'd suggest not to run the car until you get the noise identified, just to avoid risking any unnecessary damage.

Mine is also a Mk1, BTW. Plus I have the genuine service manual.

Keep us posted....

I'm sure Dajwid will agree but it's good to see all you guys rooting for him not to give up. Part of what makes the Lexus name special!!

Sadly decided it will just be sold as it is. Loved the car to bits, but I have always had VW never had any troubles at all, swapped this for my Mk1 Golf, that I loved to bits and after less than 2 months 'trouble'. I had always been told these are bulletproof, but I was just unlucky I suppose. Car will be sold and I will buy another VW.

Sad I know, loved the car while I had it, but I need a car that I can open the bonnet and fix with a but of tubing and a paper clip, Under the bonnet on the Lexus is a work of art but certainly beyond my skills.

Many many thanks for the support, great Forum. But back to the land of the VW I'm afraid

Give one of these guys a chance to change your mind!

Agreed!

Accept the help offered mate. What have you got to lose?

Surely selling the Lexus with 'a knocking engine' will make no more than a few tenners!

your cars goign to be worth nothign with a broken engine, so let someoen come round and have a look, mines on 215k and still runs like new so i'd be surprised oif the engine has failed at 132k unless theres no oil/water.

I assume you've checked it's not the power steering?

If it does turn out to be beyond economic repair (unlikely), why don't you consider buying another Mk1 and keeping the duff one for spare parts? Some Mk1 parts are becoming scarce now and can also be expensive (although generally it's only the consumables that need routine replacement - which you can get without too much trouble).

Statistically, VWs are NOT more reliable than Toyotas.

I'd had mine for 2 weeks and it stalled at the lights, then had no power and I limped home like a tractor, arriving with smoke pouring out from under the bonnet and a horrible hot oil smell.

I was gutted, reconned it was a wreck

Turned out it was a faulty HT coil, so no spark, so raw fuel into the cats caused them to overheat (as in glowing red hot) and burning oil off the underside of the car.

A replacement second hand coil from a nice chap who posts on here, and normal service was resumed.

Faultless since.

Don't give up yet

Car now sold to a guy in Watford. Already has a Toyota exelsior, so will make 1 great car from the 2.

Me I picked up my Golf this evening.

Would I buy another Lexus, Yes. Fantastic car, best car I have ever driven, loved it to bits. Maybe when finances improve I'll be back.

Car now sold to a guy in Watford. Already has a Toyota exelsior, so will make 1 great car from the 2.

Me I picked up my Golf this evening.

Would I buy another Lexus, Yes. Fantastic car, best car I have ever driven, loved it to bits. Maybe when finances improve I'll be back.

Too bad you never gave one of these guys a chance though!

I do hope you have better luck with the Golf but what a huge step back huh?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links