Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Am I Likely To Have Been Booked?

Claire G

I was taking a customer out yesterday and was in what I thought was a 40mph zone. I saw a police van and started slowing down (thought there had been an accident) and as I approached it I saw there was a speed camera in the back. I was doing about 35mph when I saw it (just under 40 before then), am I likely to get a fixed penalty notice in the post or am I likely to get away with it (they weren't pulling people)?

:ohmy::crybaby:

It turned out to be a 30mph limit and it was in Hook (Hants).

Hope I don't get a letter/fine :unsure:

I know Hook very, very well, my folks live just around the corner and thats also where I got my first three points (3 years ago)....

Where in Hook was it, couldn't hazard a guess at going up or down the road leading to/away from the NTL office ???

Hampshire and espeicaly the Hook Basingstoke area are going through a harsh clamp down on speeding and have recently enforced or rather publicised in the local press a zero tolerance on speeding so unfortunately Claire I would not be surprised if it is an NIP in the post....

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news....

Oh B*ll*cks :crybaby:

It wasn't far from Station Road - going towards the little industrial estate there.

I might try writing a letter and try my luck - won't hold my breathe though.

My husband told me to deny knowledge of who was driving. He read something about the legality of implicating yourself??? Not sure of the merits of this though.

If I have been nicked it'll cost an out-and-out fortune. Not only the fine, but the lease company charge an admin fee for passing the fine on. Grrrr.

Never been booked before.... :angry:

My husband told me to deny knowledge of who was driving. He read something about the legality of implicating yourself??? Not sure of the merits of this though.

Nope... they've closed that loop-hole...

Basically, if the company car is registered to you, it is considered your responsibility, unless you state who was driving the car.

Your better off writing and explaining it was your first trip to the area, and you were unaware of the limits, and ask for leniancy (helpful if you have a clean licecense).

I THINK (dont hold me to this) but that was only true for rear-pics (i.e fixed cameras).

If it was a camera pointing at you, then it would have got a clear picture of YOU.....and so unfortunately you cant go that route. :(

The only loophole that I'm aware of and hasn't been closed down is this:-

When they send the form requesting ID of the driver, fill it in but don't sign it (you are not legally obliged to do so)! Without a signature it not admissible evidence in court and without positive ID of the dirver they can't do you.

I wouldn't bother writing to anybody about it because it won't do any good at all - you were only doing 35 in a 30 so it'll be a fixed penalty and 3 points.

Remember that ignorance of the law is no defence so they won't take any "I'm new to the area" type rubbish.

I know it's annoying when it happens and it's a bitter pill to swallow but it's not like you just committed a murder or something :P Just put it down as a bad experience and move on !! ;)

The only loophole that I'm aware of and hasn't been closed down is this:-

When they send the form requesting ID of the driver, fill it in but don't sign it (you are not legally obliged to do so)! Without a signature it not admissible evidence in court and without positive ID of the dirver they can't do you.

I wouldn't bother writing to anybody about it because it won't do any good at all - you were only doing 35 in a 30 so it'll be a fixed penalty and 3 points.

Remember that ignorance of the law is no defence so they won't take any "I'm new to the area" type rubbish.

I know it's annoying when it happens and it's a bitter pill to swallow but it's not like you just committed a murder or something :P Just put it down as a bad experience and move on !! ;)

Not true....

There was ana article on this somewhere recently, I'll try and dig it out, they can still book you.....

Hhmm............i got pulled up on thursday in beckenham i was in a 30mph and the copper held his hand up and directed me to pull over,when asked if i knew how fast i was going i said about 30 he said no sir you was doing(wait for it)...............34mph.Was told to get out of the car and 'this gentleman'will have a word with you,who turned out to be a COUNCILLOR with Bromley i then had to listen to this :tsktsk: lecture me on road safety at the end i asked him if he was qualified in anyway and his reply was 'NO' im a junior road safety officer i dont even have a driving license!!!!

So after biting my lip very hard i apologised and was sent on my merry way,no points just a lecture.

I got flagged down and stopped on the purley way, doing 44mph in a 40 zone the copper had the cheek to tell me it was dangerous to speed at my age I explained i was driving a transit van and that the thing takes a while to build up any kind of speed and that sometimes its easy to build up a bit too much momentum etc etc he let me off with a lecture and a slap on the wrists

IMO midnight on a sunday night on a straight clear bit of empty road i should be allowed upto 50+

The only place i can see the police should be keeping watch is outside schools at kicking out time, anyone speeding then should get the full weight of the law on em :tsktsk:

44 in a 40 zone - He couldn't have done you without a fully qualified vehicle examiner and test equipment at the scene.

As the EU tolerance on speedo is 10%, this allows 44 in a 40 to be questionable. It is then down to them to get your exact speed in relation to the indication on the speedo itself. That's why automated systems don't do you at 10% over the limit. (Because you would have left the scene and an examination later is useless). The white markers are in 5mph steps so ask to see the photo and count the steps between each piccy yourself . Each marker must be clearly visible and whole on the photo.

Zero tolerance still includes this 10%. Merseyside and Cheshire used to allow 10% +2 so you could get away with 35 in a 30. Zero tolerance now means they will do you at 34, or if there is an examiner at the scene then they may do you at lower after testing the accuracy of your particular speedo.

Nothing stops you getting a rollicking though......................

Was told to get out of the car and 'this gentleman'will have a word with you,who turned out to be a COUNCILLOR with Bromley i then had to listen to this :tsktsk: lecture me on road safety at the end i asked him if he was qualified in anyway and his reply was 'NO' im a junior road safety officer i dont even have a driving license!!!!

No councillor in Bromley has any right to moan about anything that anyone else in the world does- the amount of Bromley tax payers money that they allow to be wasted is scandalous

I wish it had have been me - I would have left the :tsktsk: in tears :ph34r::ph34r:

Hi,right here we go!!

Home office guidelines are 10% +2mph,that is the rule of thumb,if,worse case scenario,you are being prosecuted you have to receive the N.I.P(Notice of Intended Prosecution) within 14 days of the date of the offence --assuming you are the registered keeper.

Whilst I appreciate some Forces operate a zero tolerance on these matters I hope the above is of some assistance-

If you need any further info pse contact me.

On the Bright side, Claire 2 things:

1: you can buy a Lazer Jammer! Never get caught again! :ph34r:

2: it might have been a Tax checking Van not a speeding one. they are cropping up all over the place now. they take a snap and can tell if you have a valid tax disc displayed. if not, you get your colar felt down the road. Or sometimes they are out on their own just testing them.

You'll be fine, Girl! Cup half full! :hehe:

Loz :zee:

Loz correct me if i am wrong i was thinking of getting a laser jammer for my van as i do alot of miles in it and had just got done, but i heard of a case in gwent where they are hot on speeding where a guy was speeding and the laser van couldnt get a fix on his veichle because of the jammer and he was later prosecuted for making himself unavailable for prosecution

Ref Hook

During my 2 working days I am often zipping around Hook on my way as a planning officer to Waste Transfer Stations and Landfill Sites.

I have never seen any police activity ref speed but will now keep my eyes open.

This is the area where 4 years ago I called the police to a threatening character who took a swing at me and would not stop crushing concrete during dry weather. He did not possess any of the necessary permissions. This was in a residential area and dust was everywhere and it was very noisy. I went through the planning procedures but in the police statement they accused me of antagonizing a man who was trying to earn a living!

They are obviously more conversant with their sad meters.

Not heard that one but the only thing that goes against the jammer is that I heard there was a case in Feb of a bloke being charged with perverting the course of Justice ( quite severe and crown court worthy!) COS THEY COULDN'T do HIM FOR THE jAMMER.

What you should do of course is use the jammer for the first attack as a warning. slow down, turn your jammer off and then cruise by at a "safe" speed. the Lazer Pro 100 has a tollerance of 4/5 correct hits. if it misses you the first time its not going to alert the feds to your device. to leave it on and make it obvious you are abuseing your "legal to own and use saftey device" is pure folly...

Hope this helps.

Loz :ph34r: :zee: :ph34r:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links