Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Air Conditioning

When I first switch on my A/C unit, I get this funny rotten egg smell for about 20min before it settles down. Any exoeriences? Does anyone have a cure?

Thanks folks

I think I had this last night for the first time. I used my air conditioning alot lately (it's been sunny !) so it's not like it was "blowing the cob-webs out" or anything.

It doesn't do it normally, and it didn't do it on the way to work this morning so I think it was just a one off. Hopefully, a similar thing will happen for you - it will just "stop smelling" !!!!!

It is to do with the condenser I think, bacteria grows on it if it has not been used for some time althoughnorally leaving the AC on for a while will cure the problem (It kills the bacteria) if they become too established it may be difficult to shift.

There are products on the market to destroy the bugs and freshen the system. This is why they recommend youleave the AC on all the time.

I had it in my FTO before buy the IS, but as long as I used the AC frequently it was kept to a minimum

at work i use hydrocoil evapoorator coil cleaner which retards dirt accumulation eliminates slime and deodorises. as previously mentioned it's bacteria on the coil.

the liquid i use is made by advanced engineering 01737 859900

I rarely use the aircon unless it's really hot, as I prefer the sharpness to the throttle response with it off, than the slight hesitance when on. Having said that I've been using it a bit over the last cupla weeks as it's been hot, though during the colder months I'll run it about once a week for a few minutes - this also helps circulate the refridgerant, as well as reduce bacteria build-up...

Asam

yes the smell is the build up of bacteria in the evaporator, if you go to Halfords etc they have a spray to cure this - but a word of warning - this is IS specific, do not get the one with the long tube ( if you can help it) that u have to push up the water outlet because it will not not go up there with out a lot of hassle.

Instead get the gas type one - you put the AC on recirculate and then place the can in the car , push the button down, close the door and then wait for about 15 mins while the chemical goes thru the system and kills the bacteria then lovely smells for future :D

• 2 weeks later...
if you go to halfords etc they have a spray to cure this - but a word of warning - now this is IS specific, do not get the one with the long tube that u have to push up the water outlet because it will not not go up there with out a lot of hassle. Instead get the gas type one - you put the AC on recirculate and then place the can in the car , push the button down, close the door and then wait for about 15 mins while the chemical goes thru the system and kills the bacteria then lovely smells for future :D

Any ideas where I can get the "gas type one" fluff mentions? I tried Halfords but they only have the one with the tube.

Thanks...

I have always had this problem....if I turn off the A/C and keep the blowers going the bad smell comes and like you say it takes about 15 minutes for it to go! If I have been driving and turn off the engine with the A/C on, get back in the car an hour later the initial smell is bad!!

I've told Lexus about it....my dad has a BMW 323Ci and I have tested the things which make my A/C smell and I get nothing, the air stays fresh and clean no matter what!!!

So I want it fixed!! :lol:

I've told Lexus about it....my dad has a BMW 323Ci and I have tested the things which make my A/C smell and I get nothing, the air stays fresh and clean no matter what!!!

That's why BMW's cost more I guess!

• 11 years later...

Yes, Love my Lexus 200D 2008. 41 K only, Smell arrived 18 months ago, Awful !!! Paid £75 last service for air con ,lasted 3 months and Pooowee!! it came back, stayed with us on and off and now after Feb service with complaint about foul smell I have been hit with a charge of £1700 quote to change something in the A/C (Evaporator ?) to cure problem. I have just joined your club to see if fault is recognised, so thanks, it is, I am now going back to Lexus. Watch this space.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links