Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Buy A Lexus...

Ok, first up - does anyone know if you can buy just the outer plastic shell for an IS wing mirror, and roughly how much it might be? We're just talking about the bit on the outside, that's colour coded to the car.

On my way home down a quiet country lane I was taking a slow left hander in a 40mph zone, and I was actually doing about 35-38mph. Three cars came round the corner quite quickly and the centre car was cutting the corner and was right over on my side of the road. I pulled tight in to the left, so much so that the hedge was scraping the left side of my car! Didn't do any good.... BANG!!! Shower of plastic! My drivers mirror was "parked" against the window & I could see the outer cover hanging off :angry:

The other car was a new '03 reg Astra. The driver didn't stop, so I turned round & chased them. Eventual they stopped after a mile or so of me flashing them. Driver was a woman in her early 30's. She claimed I was speeding & was on her side of the road??!! ( :tsktsk: LIAR).

I said if I was on her side of the road, I'd have hit the car immediately in front of her. She couldn't accept that logic. If said if I was on her side of the road, how come I had fresh grass caught in the gap between the body & bumper panels on the left of my car? She couldn't accept that logic either. Also, I said if I was in the wrong, why didn't she chase after me rather than me having to chase after her??

Anyway, the conversation was going nowhere & I was starting to want to throttle her! So, I left it at that and drove off.

The damage to my mirror? Black scuff mark & a small split in the outer plastic shell. The damage to her Astra? Her drivers mirror was completely gone - there was just a stump left!! In fact her mirror assembly was still lying in the road when I went past that spot again. Damn... did I just drive right over it?!!! :oops::lol:

Sorry about the rant guys.... :blush:

Should have called the cops - they would have sorted it out.  They could do her for leaving scene of accident. :angry:  :angry:

You don't have to call them unless someone is hurt, do you?

You can call the police to any accident you feel warrants their attention.. even a very minor incident..

In this case, I would report her for failing to stop at an accident.. it's a serious offense...

Take photo's too....

I have her registration number, and her address (she was pulling in to her driveway when she finally stopped). Dropping her details in to a mate of mine tomorrow morning, he'll then be paying her a visit over the weekend.... he's a copper! :whistling::shifty:

Just p!ssed off that in the 3 months I've had this car, I've had the door dented in Tesco's car park, three large stone chips in the bonnet + 2 chips in windscreen thanks to the council doing it's usual "let's spray tar on the road & scatter it with tons of gravel" trick, instead of actually resurfacing it properly, and now this. Sigh, there is something to be said for driving around in an old banger sometimes :huh:

sorry to hear that mate, you do seem to have all the bad luck

some of these people shouldn't be allowed on the road, not only can they not drive, they then can't face up and accept they can't drive :angry:

hope its all sorted soon

Depending on how you feel now, you could be a real nice person and 'advise' your insurance company of the prang, making it clear that you will not be claiming against your policy, but just for info.

If she tries to renew her insurance with a different company (or possibly the same one), it'll flag up the 'incident' and then she'll have to do some explaining.... :whistling:

Mate you should have reported the accident to the police, cause that silly :oops: woman could have reported the accident to the coppers instead more hassle for you, Good Luck send the lads around :ohmy:

Sorry to hear about yet another NON responsible member of our society!!!

If you are still within the 24 hr limit you can report the accident.

Guidelines are:- if someone is injured or you think the incident warrants an offence of careless driving(even extends to car parks!!!!-not a lot of people know that!)

What we don't need is the maggot involved to report the T/A and you not,

best of luck with this. (I still have some napalm left ,although stocks are getting low now due to an excess of pondlife living in this area) :angry:

Even if you are outside the 24hr limit still report it. The police took 4 months to see my mum about a non accident ( thrown out of court) she will be possibly done for Failing to stop at an accident, Failing to report an Accident and failing to exchange perticulars. Also it could be worth getting your insurence involved as they will chase her up.

Got a result. Went thru the proper channels & reported the incident (just waited 'til my mate was on duty)! :shifty:

She was paid a visit and questioned over why she a) failed to stop after the incident, and B ) had become abusive when confronted. She offered some cr@p about being flagged down by a stranger & women can't be too careful, etc., but did apologize. She also said she would meet the cost of the damage to my car. As it happens, she's got off lightly as all I need is a new shell for the mirror which is about £20.

Interestingly when I told my mate that I felt a little guilty about reporting an incident that merely busted my wing mirror, (i.e. wasting police time & all that), he brought up a valid point. He said I might have been driving along with my window open and that her action might have smashed my mirror which could have thrown glass into my face/eyes. Under the circumstances, she should have stopped. :angry:

Anyway, thanks for the support & persuading me to report it :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links