Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ebc Ultimate Brake Pads

steve2006

The rear pads were due for replacement for the 2nd time during my ownership of the car.Last time I obtained and fitted some genuine Lexus/Toyota pads purcheased at a bargain price but this time with no bargains on offer I got a set of EBC Ultimate.

The description on the product looks good and so to fitting.

The 1st thing was the break wear sensors did not fit the pads until the hole had been modified with a file so not a good start but after that fitting was no problem, they come with shims but I reused the original ones as they are stainless steel and a good clean up was all they needed.

The replacement pads had a red coloured coating on the friction material and the instructions stated this was a special coating to assist the pads to wear in better.

Having now driven for a few miles the coating has worn off so we are now onto the proper friction material and this is where the poor quality shows up.

The wheels for a 2nd time in a week are covered in friction material dust and when you allow the car to creep in drive with the brakes partially applied you can hear the rear brakes "groan" .

Because my garage is only just long enough for the car I have to gently allow the car to creep up to the end wall ( it is covered in some thick carpet) until it just touches the wall, the problem now is the brakes are so juddery I cannot do this accurately enough so get as close as I dare then leaving the car in neutral I push it in the last inch or so.

I have seen good reports from some EBC pads but they seem to be the red stuff/yellow stuff ones, but these seem poor in quality.

Looks like it back to genuine Toyota pads which have never caused any problems.

The rear pads were due for replacement for the 2nd time during my ownership of the car.Last time I obtained and fitted some genuine Lexus/Toyota pads purcheased at a bargain price but this time with no bargains on offer I got a set of EBC Ultimate.

The 1st thing was the break wear sensors did not fit the pads until the hole had been modified with a file so not a good start but after that fitting was no problem, they come with shims but I reused the original ones as they are stainless steel and a good clean up was all they needed.

The replacement pads had a red coloured coating on the friction material and the instructions stated this was a special coating to assist the pads to wear in better.

Having now driven for a few miles the coating has worn off so we are now onto the proper friction material and this is where the poor quality shows up.

The wheels for a 2nd time in a week are covered in friction material dust and when you allow the car to creep in drive with the brakes partially applied you can hear the rear brakes "groan" .

Because my garage is only just long enough for the car I have to gently allow the car to creep up to the end wall ( it is covered in some thick carpet) until it just touches the wall, the problem now is the brakes are so juddery I cannot do this accurately enough so get as close as I dare then leaving the car in neutral I push it in the last inch or so.

I have seen good reports from some EBC pads but they seem to be the red stuff/yellow stuff ones, but these seem poor in quality.

Hi Steve

As soon as you can before you do your back in.

Hi Steve

As soon as you can before you do your back in.

Very true, I have ACLex on the case already, I managed to creep it in OK tonight but the wheels are all messed up again!

I had red stuff pads on my GS300 Sport (plus drilled and grooved discs) but I hadn't covered many miles when I bought the GS430 Sport, So they hadnt fully bedded in. I took the discs and redstuff pads off the 300, and will fit them to the 430 soon. Even before a full bed in, the redstuff pads felt much better than the standard pads. I would've thought with the weight of the LS, the red stuff pads would be spot on too.

My EBC Green Stuff made a mess of the wheels for the first few 100 miles. That layer takes longer to wear off than you think. Did you put any copper coat or the likes behind the shims etc to stop noise? Pads normally make a high pitched squealing noise, I'd be checking other things if it's groaning?

My EBC Green Stuff made a mess of the wheels for the first few 100 miles. That layer takes longer to wear off than you think. Did you put any copper coat or the likes behind the shims etc to stop noise? Pads normally make a high pitched squealing noise, I'd be checking other things if it's groaning?

It could be bedding in problems still so I will leave them for a little longer.

All the shims etc were copper greased along with the pad contact points and slide pins.

• 1 month later...

hey, ebc used to be good and for various reasons, inc quality i stoped dealing with them at the garage, but on a plus note i'm now an official brembo brakes dealer, and they now do standard spec brakes, not just big upgrades. email me your reg for a price, you'll be surprised!

• 4 weeks later...

Well update time,

I left the Ultimax pads in and have now covered around 1000 miles since fitting.

Final opinion they are rubbish, so much brake dust the wheels need cleaning after a short trip (EBC claim the pads produce low dust levels!!!) and the groaning sound when creeping forward has not gone away.

Contacting EBC is a complete joke they have a contact form which when you press send opens up a blank email to Web admin and there is no telephone number on the website.

Their warranty appears to be a complete waste of time, not only do you need the original receipt(fair enough) but then they want proof of the mileage the pads were fitted and a mechanics report to confirm the mileage when returned under warranty (at the owners cost of course).

In order to keep your car on the road while the pads are being examined you have to buy new pads from EBC who MAY if the old pads are faulty give a PARTIAL refund dependent on how many miles they have done.

In other words a complete get out clause providing no comeback or indeed warranty.

Personally I would advise avoiding this company altogether.

Brake Pad Warranty returns conditions as stipulated on the EBC website

"A proof of purchase receipt showing the date of purchase and mileage installed, endorsed by an independent mechanic who fitted the parts or a store staff member who sold you the parts will be required to be returned with all of the products purchased. To enable your vehicle to be used whilst your warranty claim is considered, should you need to purchase replacement parts this must be done by purchasing the parts from EBC themselves. In the event of a successful compensation award, we will refund the credit card that you used to buy the replacement parts in full or part depending on the nature of the claim. EBC Brakes reserves the right to make full or partial compensation at its sole discretion depending upon the condition and mileage used of the returned suspect parts. For example, if you have used the product for several thousand miles and the defect is noticed, only a partial compensation may be offered. The address to process a warranty claim is warranty@ebcbrakesusa.com for all US and Canada customers and warranty@ebcbrakesuk.com for European and other export market automotive customers, and motorcyclewarranty@ebcbrakesuk.com for European and other export market motorcycle customers

• 5 months later...

I fitted ebc discs and pads to the front of my LS400 earlier last year and they squeal like mad when cold, especially when reversing off the drive. All my neighbours knew when I am going out. After the first few applications they stay quiet untill the next time I drive from cold. I now reverse onto the drive and move off forwards so as not to disturb the neighbours.

I won't be fitting those again.

I fitted ebc discs and pads to the front of my LS400 earlier last year and they squeal like mad when cold, especially when reversing off the drive

Hi, Guys, we all seem to have had the same problem with a variety off aftermarket pads of various makes, from expensive to cheap pads. The vxxxpensive problem was solved earlier this year and there are superb aftermarket pads which seem no different to Lexus, look down this forum to the 'Aftermarket' pads post, the answeres there.

To add, I have now had my Ferodo Premium fitted for a few months and many miles now and they have been a dream, but hell, do I remember the screeching, creeping groaning, clattering, banging, bumping aftermarket pads I tried before, much sympathy with others still going through all that racket.

PS...Heres the link to my original post, someone else (another victiim) tried them as a result and he thought same as me, no different to Lexus pads and he found them for 30 quid.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=77350

I posted on that thread, and since then, bought from Opie Oils, and fitted, Ferodo premium front pads for my Toyota HIace campervan.

As expected, perfect performance from a braking and no noise point of view.

I'll certainly be happy to fit these pads to my car when needed.

Thanks for that mikeyv, it still seems such a problem, I mean its so expensive going through all kinds of non suited pads. people cound go through a few pairs before ending up buying Lexus when these Ferodo Premium seem the same as far as I can tell.

Thanks for that mikeyv, it still seems such a problem, I mean its so expensive going through all kinds of non suited pads. people cound go through a few pairs before ending up buying Lexus when these Ferodo Premium seem the same as far as I can tell.

It's not just car parts, many well known names have gone, only to reappear on cheap crap that's just been rebadged.

So you see a name you know and trust, and end up buying junk from the far east.

Bush, for example, were top quality electrical goods when I was a kid, now they are always the cheapest you can buy on tv etc.

I suppose all we can do is research as much as possible before splashing the cash, then cross everything.

• 3 weeks later...

Another update!

The EBC pads are coming off with less than 2000 miles of use!

I was just having a look on fleabay and spotted a set of new boxed genuine Lexus/Toyota rear brake pads for £15.00 plus £4.99 P+P ( If I lived nearby I could have collected for free).

So looks like my weekend is car related ( weather permitting)

No more dust or groaning, can't wait o be able to drive the car into the garage and gently touch the carpeted end wall instead of having to push the car the last few inches up to it.

• 1 month later...

My 2001 LS430 is up for MOT in a couple of weeks and I wish to change the pads all round. After reading this great forum I ordered some Ferodo Premium off Fleabay.

The rear ones came today followed by an e-mail saying the front ones were not in stock and not available anywhere in the country, they had taken my money but say they will refund or they have brembo in stock.

Are brembo pads OK? If any negatives I may just order the front ones from my Lexus main dealer as I want the job done next week.

FYI The company selling pads they do not have are Auto Performance of Dewsbury Yorkshire. The rear ones came fine and well packaged but they actually arrived before the e-mail, not very good advertising stock they do not have and then very slow to notify.

Edit I have now been refunded for the first order and have found that premier Motor Factors of Walsall have some front ones in stock, ordered and paid, coming tomorrow, and £2 cheaper as well to cover my 0845 call.

They were on fleabay but after my first experience I decided to call the factor to see if they had them in stock.

Edited by N55GUS

• 2 months later...

I switched to Green Stuff pads and they are great - better than the Lexus originals. I also use EBD disks for the same reason. Make sure you calipers are in great shape as thet will affect your breaks - sound obvious but it is not a DH comment. I have run a LS430 for 10 years and had a lot of probs but the dealer just kept getting me out of the door. I tried seveal third party options and then realised (local garage) that the cylinders in all the callipers were either siezed or were siezing - the car still stopped but after replacing all 4 it really stops now :) I used third party components and they are fine. I think you need soft pads in your car not the hard high performance type.

Bren

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links