Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Wiper Blade Drivers Side.

After trying 3 brand new wiper blades on the drivers side I'm still experiencing a nasty rubber scraping sound.

I wonder, has anyone else got this problem or had it in the past and managed to find a solution?

After trying 3 brand new wiper blades on the drivers side I'm still experiencing a nasty rubber scraping sound.

I wonder, has anyone else got this problem or had it in the past and managed to find a solution?

I need to replace my wipers as well. On my previous mkIII I fited a set of those flat aero blades from eBay. Nice and quiet.

That's what I've got on there at the moment, they were quiet for 1 day! Maybe I'm just unlucky lol

I Replaced mine last year and had the same problems with other manufactures blades and in the end went and purchased the Lexus ones that wern't that expensive.

Mike

That's what I've got on there at the moment, they were quiet for 1 day! Maybe I'm just unlucky lol

hmm..maybe thoroughly clean the windscreen with some industrial strength cleaner? As a last resort you can always put a drop of engine oil in the washer tank ;)

Seriously though - I always, after washing, clean my screen again with super resin polish from Autoglym( the same you use for the paintwork). Rub it in thoroughly. let it dry, and polish it out. Never had any trouble with noisy blades

Hmm polish that might be worth a try I do have some of that under the sink.

I will give that a go when I have a look at my suddenly chirping heater fan, problems problems lol

All I need to do is try and work out if the lower glovebox can be removed.

Hmm polish that might be worth a try I do have some of that under the sink.

I will give that a go when I have a look at my suddenly chirping heater fan, problems problems lol

All I need to do is try and work out if the lower glovebox can be removed.

This might help ---> http://www.clublexus.com/forums/288233-post2.html

Hi You can get replacement rubbers for the Lexus blades at Lexus dealerships The eBay units are not up to the job as I found out a few years ago and reverted to Lexus parts.

Try cleaning the windscreen with Bar Keepers Friend. £2-3 from a supermarket. I learned this from detailingworld. Sometimes windscreens get crap on them that won't shif with normal cleaners.

Whilst we are on a related subject, screenwash can also make a difference to ones 'Wash and Wipe Experience'.This subject comes up every year. Every motoring website has a similar thread. I have seen lots of overpriced screen wash for sale everywhere from Halfords to Tesco & various filling stations.

The only ready-mixed screen wash that seems to be good value is the stuff from Lidl: If you can get it. Alternatively you can mix your own.

The information below will hopefully help those who are prepared to help themselves.

I have read over & over again that German screen wash products are very good, so that’s either the ready-mixed type in small bottles from Porsche or VAG or the concentrated type that has a vessel at the top to measure the required quantity. Two appear to be very good value:

Sonax Clear View

Einszett Kristallklar

BTW they both come in 250ml bottles; there is an error in the Einszett webpage.

Either product works out about 30 pence per litre when mixed with water which is fine for summer use.

When it comes to winter, all you have to do, when you mix up a load in your 5 litre container, is add some Ethanol / IPA / Isopropyl Alcohol / Isopropanol (Chemists will explain the difference, I’m pretty sure for the purpose of screen wash they are all fine). See below for suitable concentrations.

I got mine from eBay & it worked out about £2.50 per litre, so even at 40% concentration, when combined with Sonax Clear View or Einszett Kristall Klar it’s around £1.30 per Litre. That would be good down to -23 oC

10% Ethanol = Freezing point of -4 oC

20% Ethanol = Freezing point of -9 oC

30% Ethanol = Freezing point of -15 oC

40% Ethanol = Freezing point of -23 oC

50% Ethanol = Freezing point of -32 oC

60% Ethanol = Freezing point of -37 oC

I hope this info helps folk avoid paying excessive amounts for that blue water.

My cheap eBay aero blade on the drivers side didn't clear properly until I shaved a small amount of plastic from where the blade mounts on the arm (fouled on the metalwork of arm). It was just slightly too high and let the blade sit at the wrong angle. I went down the route of buying expensive silcon blades (same problem) till I worked out what the problem was - no squeeking or juddering now.

I should just have bought lexus items in the first place, but my car had aftermarket ones fitted when I got it.

Pete

You might be onto something there with shaving the plastic bit as the same aero blade worked fine on another car ( trial and error method ).

Do you have picture of the offending bit to be removed by any chance?

You might be onto something there with shaving the plastic bit as the same aero blade worked fine on another car ( trial and error method ).

Do you have picture of the offending bit to be removed by any chance?

Here you go:

CIMG4390.jpg

CIMG4391.jpg

CIMG4384.jpg

CIMG4388.jpg

CIMG4385.jpg

@plastic orange

Thanks for the pics its much appreciated that you took the time to do that for me thanks. They look similar blades to the ones I have on so I will double check that in a minute.

@mudguts

I too tend to buy German stuff for quality reasons (My Lexi being the exception), The screen wash I currently use is the concentrated stuff from Lidl as it was the ONLY stuff I tried that wouldn't freeze in the poorly designed wiper system on a Merc Sprinter I was driving in the cold conditions a couple of years ago. In fact Lidl's are hard to beat quality wise on an awful lot of their German products and the prices help too. I can absolutely recommend the Welsh butter as a treat, Not German I know but well sourced Lidl's well done.

With the regard to the Bar Keepers friend, purchased some earlier and have cleaned the windscreen and so far, no juddering but lets see how I get on tonight in the rain. Had a bit left over so tried it on an old pan, damn that stuff cleans well ! Thanks for all the tips guys, very very helpful.

If anyone has been following my experiment with the BG44K fuel additive, I can confirm that it feels like the engine is smoother and more responsive and the tickover which I didnt think was lumpy before seems rock steady now and I've not experienced that stalling problem when coming off a motorway run since but that might be luck as I cant see how it could clean the throttle body, or does it? Anyway I have purchased a gasket for the throttle body so will strip her down and have a look when the weather allows.

Update.

Well the bar keepers friend helped but the screen wasn't the problem.

The rain held off long enough for me to investigate. It looks like the spring on the drivers side is a bit weak so not all the blade was touching. The shaving a bit off the connector mod might work for that very reason allowing the arm to be closer to the screen.

I bought a cheap temporary replacement to test my theory and it wipes fine. I will further investigate as weather and time allows.

I went to Halfords and they only had one brand and expesive, but to answer your question yes the scrap on the drivers side very annoying.

I went to Halfords and they only had one brand and expesive, but to answer your question yes the scrap on the drivers side very annoying.

Hi guys, not been on here for a while .... abs66, hi, I did finally buy the Lexus replacement rubbers . wow, £18 nearly BUT they are so different to anything else one buys ( besides the price of course ) and they WORK fine and I guess especially created for the LS400.

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links