Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I've Only Gone And Bought Another Celsior!

I've just collected Celsior number two, this one is a 1997 series III Taxed and MOT'd running fine but needs a little TLC to bring it back to its former glory.

Main problems are cosmetic with a dent in the rear quarter panel above the outer rear light cluster ( tree reversed into car! :unsure: ),paint coming off the bumper and passenger side mirror,a damaged drivers side mirror glass and a cracked passenger side headlight unit.

The previous owners dog also managed to chew the top panels on all the doors except the driver's door.

Apart from a few minor paint chips on the bonnet the car is rust free and has service history from import at around 22,000 miles.

It is now due its second cambelt change but I don't think my local garage will quote me £100.00 labour this time!

There is also an interesting electronic fault with the dash display in that it lights up for a second when the ignition is turmed on then goes completely black, I know about the slow warm up dashes on the earlier model but this one is new to me. A bit of diagnosis and a close study of the capacitors should I hope sort the problem.

The CD changer also doesn't work again a common fault.

For some reason although it was opened when I went to see the car the boot won't unlock with either key plus the remote release doesn't either which I was told about so a bit of communication may be required with the previous owner.

So I have a new project for the summer. :D

The price I paid for it? Have a guess!

Celsior002.jpg

I feel better now,some one else with Lexusitis!

I bought a series one to rob for parts 3 years ago, I've use one part up to now.

It's sits there looking sad so I have to start it up now and then to keep it happy.

Wife convinced I'm loosing reality....surely not...

I've just collected Celsior number two, this one is a 1997 series III Taxed and MOT'd running fine but needs a little TLC to bring it back to its former glory.

Main problems are cosmetic with a dent in the rear quarter panel above the outer rear light cluster ( tree reversed into car! :unsure: ),paint coming off the bumper and passenger side mirror,a damaged drivers side mirror glass and a cracked passenger side headlight unit.

The previous owners dog also managed to chew the top panels on all the doors except the driver's door.

Apart from a few minor paint chips on the bonnet the car is rust free and has service history from import at around 22,000 miles.

It is now due its second cambelt change but I don't think my local garage will quote me £100.00 labour this time!

There is also an interesting electronic fault with the dash display in that it lights up for a second when the ignition is turmed on then goes completely black, I know about the slow warm up dashes on the earlier model but this one is new to me. A bit of diagnosis and a close study of the capacitors should I hope sort the problem.

The CD changer also doesn't work again a common fault.

For some reason although it was opened when I went to see the car the boot won't unlock with either key plus the remote release doesn't either which I was told about so a bit of communication may be required with the previous owner.

So I have a new project for the summer. :D

The price I paid for it? Have a guess!

Celsior002.jpg

£50

If its not unlocking with either key maybe the inside 'security' lock has been activated. Somewhere need the inside boot release there is a lock which stops the boot being opened. Try unlocking it - only works with one of the keys I think.

If its not unlocking with either key maybe the inside 'security' lock has been activated. Somewhere need the inside boot release there is a lock which stops the boot being opened. Try unlocking it - only works with one of the keys I think.

Tried both the black keys in the boot lock and the remote release lock but no go, there are 2 more keys on the rings one has Toyota on it and is grey but the blade looks completely different and it doesn't fit anything, the other is a smaller all metal key which I think may be the manual over ride for the alarm?

I must be doing something wrong as I have seen the boot open lol

Ruud is spot on.

I thought at that price I could either restore it or break it for spares, at the moment it's the former choice.

YAY! What did I win??? :)

With the partially destroyed interior, it's probably cheaper to buy another one with a good interior but dented all round..:D

One of the keys is the master key. Had to use it when the engine immobiliser activated (can't remember why) Couldn't get anything to work and had to google it, luckily good old google solved that problem. Don't know what the other is for, maybe google will tell you that too. Other half will be out for the count until tomorrow now - only 3 hours sleep since Tuesday night. Will ask him in the morning and let you know re boot.

One of the keys is the master key. Had to use it when the engine immobiliser activated (can't remember why) Couldn't get anything to work and had to google it, luckily good old google solved that problem. Don't know what the other is for, maybe google will tell you that too. Other half will be out for the count until tomorrow now - only 3 hours sleep since Tuesday night. Will ask him in the morning and let you know re boot.

Thank you, no rush plenty of other jobs to do.

Ruud is spot on.

I thought at that price I could either restore it or break it for spares, at the moment it's the former choice.

YAY! What did I win??? :)

With the partially destroyed interior, it's probably cheaper to buy another one with a good interior but dented all round.. :D

Well done Rudy.

Mike

OK competion is over.

I have had a quick look at getting the instrument cluster out and have managed to remove the lower trim with the display brightness control on and then the 2 bottom screws holding the cluster in place.

I cannot see any more screws but it is still holding tight.

Has any one actually removed one from a series III?

The series I and II proceedure is on lexls but I cannot find any details on the web for this model year.

OK competion is over.

I have had a quick look at getting the instrument cluster out and have managed to remove the lower trim with the display brightness control on and then the 2 bottom screws holding the cluster in place.

I cannot see any more screws but it is still holding tight.

Has any one actually removed one from a series III?

The series I and II proceedure is on lexls but I cannot find any details on the web for this model year.

Might Chris Vince know ? He's the guy who re-does the dash lightings

Malc

Cheers for looking all that up but it does unfortunately relate to the series I and II models (90-94.) I have managed to remove the cluster and if anyone is interested I will post up the proceedure in due course.

I have now done the bypass repair to the board but haven't had the chance to reassemble it and refit yet.

Looking around for the parts I need to restore the car back to a reasonable condition there seems to be a lack of series III models around for spares so if the dash repair proves unsucessful I may have to consider breaking this one for spares as it would appear there could be some demand.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links