Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oil Type - Utter Confusion 95 Ls - Help!

I am really confused about what oil to get this time. Like most I have been told always use sythetic, yet the manual states API SG or SH mulitigrade or ILSAC multigrade.

Its a 95 LS so I am wondering if the 95 handbook I quoted from is out of date or something, everybody, including me, seems to be under the impression there will be a trail of nuts, bolts valves and bits of steering wheel dropping off if we so much as take a trip to supermarket on anything less than fully synth.

Also is all this stuff I don't understand out of date, unimportant, vital, out of date or what - API SG SH or ILSAC all that is recomnded but the oil recommended in the handbook is multigrade.I also found some Castrol 5-30 fully synth on eBay for £23 BUT that said recomended for Ford cars.

In short I am at a complete loss, anyone help feel free.

Ring Lexus, they will probably have updated their recommendation since 1995.

I wouldn't panic though, when was the last time you heard of an ls400 going bang, and I'm sure many will have had "wrong" oil put in, and many again will have gone without regular oil changes.

I'm using very successfully, Wilkinsons own Wilko semi-synthetic 10 / 40 at £14.50 for 5ltrs.

It worked well in my Mk2 and expect it will in my Mk3 on, for me, it's first oil change.

Daresay Mobil or BP or somene like that makes it for Wilko anyway.

These are amazingly robust engines you know !

Malc

The recommended for Ford means it meets additional specs that certain Ford engines require for economy. You will also find oils that are for Audi and BMW which meets their specs for extended service internals. None of that matters for your engine, you just need to meet the broad spec that Lexus state in the handbook, which is really any semi synthetic / fully synthetic oil - 0w30 is probably the lowest I would go in this country.

certain Ford engines require for economy. You will also find oils that are for Audi and BMW which meets their specs for extended service internals. None of that matters for your engine

OK, thanks for all the info, that all helps. The sellers who quote ford, audi audi and dads bycycle, really do confuse the issue for those of us who are not global, deep sea, oil exploration & petrolium scientific experts

Too much choice I reckon ............. and also some of them are only 4ltr packs !

Comma have been making oil for engines for ever I think, as has Mobil ........... and Castrol / BP ( same family ? )

Bet they ALL come from only one or two seperate sources really though. .......... including your favoured ASDA brand.

Anyone ever heard of a LS400 engine failing for want of the " right type " of oil ?

Malc

I had the same problem when I couldn't get my usual type of oil anymore and actually contacted Castrol to enquire if their Magnatec 5W-30 A1 (Ford) oil was suitable.

After quoting all the information out of my driver's handbook they confirmed it was but were surprised that an engine of this age (1994) was able to use the latest energy saving type oils.

They also advised if the engine began to use oil at higher mileages to change to 10W-40.

The reason Mobil seems to get recommended is that as far as I can ascertain they make the Toyota badged oil.

Toyota Type TIV gearbox oil = Mobil 3309 for example.

But it is really a local dealer choice more than anything for engine oil. They seem to have their favourite supplier. My local dealer used to use Mobil oil year ago but have been using Shell for some time now. Toyota/Lexus themselves don't seem to dictate what the dealers use.

Hi Colin I agree the engine oil just needs to be the correct grade etc but when it comes to gearbox oil its been reported some dealers have recommended dexron which as we understand is incorrect.

I was just throwing in what I found out when I was researching gearbox oil. It may or may not be of interest.

Hi. The debate regarding engine oil will rage on as the manufacturers keep updating their specs.I have used Castrol magnatec in my LS400 for 17 years originallly the oil was 15/40 but the Castrol marketing boffins dropped that spec two years ago and now I use the 10/40 .What also as to be kept in mind is the frequency and time lapse concerning oil change .My car being a 90 as the 6000 miles or twelve month and I strictly adhere to that regardless of mileage when the twelve month gap comes up.

It rarely looks anything other than yellow on the dipstick even when upto the 6000 miles which is rare these days but the engine still sounds like a swiss watch with 180k on it.

I would not use a supermarket oil in a Lexus regardless to what it said on the tin.

The ls400 engine was specifically developed as a international engine to be run in all types of climates and environments and the engineers at Toyota used 17 prototypes of the engine before they settled on what sits under the bonnet today.

They will have run the engines non stop to destruction under all types of conditions using different oils that they concluded was the best specification.

Those specs in the handbook are not plucked from thin air they are the result of the foregoing .

And this is why, I guess, they quote different SAE viscosity grades for different likely ambient temperatures ..... in my Toyota 1995 Lexus LS400 Owners Manual pge 180 specification .... the ( common ) 10 / 40 oil looks to cover the range that I might experience in Kent.

Malc

Hi Colin I agree the engine oil just needs to be the correct grade etc but when it comes to gearbox oil its been reported some dealers have recommended dexron which as we understand is incorrect. I was just throwing in what I found out when I was researching gearbox oil. It may or may not be of interest.

Indeed, if your gearbox needs T-IV then that is really all you should use (or the OEM Mobil 3309). I think some of the older boxes aren't as fussy and specific Dexron fluid can be used, but only what is documented in the manual.

Evening. Just logged on to ask a similar question, as like to change oil every 5/6k and it is now due. Answer looks already here. Lexus dealer invoices (of previous owner) show Shell Helix always used and I was going to ask, if there are any obvious benefits of Helix, over say Magnetec (that I'd used in our Toyotas)? Correspondence here suggests not?

Evening. Just logged on to ask a similar question, as like to change oil every 5/6k and it is now due. Answer looks already here. Lexus dealer invoices (of previous owner) show Shell Helix always used and I was going to ask, if there are any obvious benefits of Helix, over say Magnetec (that I'd used in our Toyotas)? Correspondence here suggests not?

I wouldn't say so if you are changing the oil that frequently. Fully synthetic oil does offer more protection at the same viscosity, which is why they are normally lower (e.g. 0W/30 rather than 10W/40). This lower viscosity can have benefits such as less resistance, so better economy, and quicker protection when the engine is first started from cold, but these are quite minor.

Fully synth can also withstand higher temperatures, loads and can last longer without breaking down. If your engine was modified or driven very hard then that could be a reason use it.

The reason for Lexus dealers using it - probably because it is a premium priced product to go with a premium price vehicle, owners will pay and the dealer gets more money.

The German manufacturers use high quality fully synth oils along with detectors in the engine to monitor the quality which enables the long service internals that leasing companies have pushed for. 20,000 miles between services is not uncommon.

I believe when Mobil 1 first launched in the UK it was marketed for long life however owners started being denied warranty claims because the service internals weren't being maintained so they had to stop promoting that benefit.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links