Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Slight 'whirring' Sound Under Acceleration From Front Of Engin

Hi everyone,

Still lovin' the car, but it has a slight whirring/whining sound coming from the front of the engine bay whenever I accelerate. It is noticeable from inside the car but quite pronounced when you stand in front of the engine.

I think it is one of the bearings in one of the pulleys that are turned by the auxialliary drive belt. I had my mechanic take a quick look last night and it is going in for further investigation tomorrow.

Anyone had a similar problem?

Cheers,

Jonathan

Noise is only apparent when you accelerate? Not sure whether that helps?

Sounds like the water pump ,check out the threads on the LS400 forum and there are lots of experiences that will give you cause for immediate attention, my own especially.

Not sure if the VVTI engine is similar but the serpentine belt ( Fan belt to us oldies) idler can make a noise usually when cold but goes when warmed up, easy to confirm remove the belt and start the engine, if the noise goes spin the pulley by hand and listen for roughness in the bearing.

No. Cam belt was done at 120k but no record of the water pump being done. So, having done 155k, perhaps it is due for a replacement? Although there is no sign of any leaking from the cooling system.

Not sure if the VVTI engine is similar but the serpentine belt ( Fan belt to us oldies) idler can make a noise usually when cold but goes when warmed up, easy to confirm remove the belt and start the engine, if the noise goes spin the pulley by hand and listen for roughness in the bearing.

Thanks. I will ask him to check that tomorrow.

No. Cam belt was done at 120k but no record of the water pump being done. So, having done 155k, perhaps it is due for a replacement? Although there is no sign of any leaking from the cooling system.

I only mention it because the water pump is often done at the same time as the cam belt because it becomes accessible .I guess there are various possible causes and Steve's idea of removing the "fan belt" makes sense, unless of course the cause is obvious. Let us know how you get on.

Nothing found today although the mechanic did say that he didn't think it was the water pump. Hopefully good news there. Car is back there next Thursday for a more thorough investigation.

Ok, car is finished at the garage. My mechanic reckons the noise is coming from the compressor for the air conditioning. Apparently, if you turn it off it stops but I'll check this out later. So, I can live without air conditioning until next summer. Where would I get a replacement a/c compressor from?

Ok, car is finished at the garage. My mechanic reckons the noise is coming from the compressor for the air conditioning. Apparently, if you turn it off it stops but I'll check this out later. So, I can live without air conditioning until next summer. Where would I get a replacement a/c compressor from?

Good news then, Now you can stop worrying and enjoy every mile with a great big smile on your face especially when you pass those poor sods in their 7 series BMW, Mercedes, Jaguars, loosing money like its gone out of fashion and your car is more comfortable & quieter.

Enjoy.

Do we have members from the fairer s*x, would be good to hear from a female what they think of the car.

Mike

Yes, great news. In terms of the fairer s*x, there are four members of that group in this house. I can't say they been overwhelmed by the new addition. But, do you know what, I don't care!

Yes, great news. In terms of the fairer s*x, there are four members of that group in this house. I can't say they been overwhelmed by the new addition. But, do you know what, I don't care!

Yes its really strange how ladies seem to equate cars with small is good and large is just excess but then comes the anomaly they don't apply that rule to all things in life, apparently.

Mike

Yes its really strange how ladies seem to equate cars with small is good and large is just excess but then comes the anomaly they don't apply that rule to all things in life, apparently.

Mike

Lol!

My wife was not totally convinced with my arguments for buying an LS - usual things - too big to park/drive, too old, too thirsty, etc, etc.

That all went out the window as soon as she drove it, she absolutely loves it.

They're not even expensive to run compared to a newer car with it's 000's a year depreciation.

My wife was not totally convinced with my arguments for buying an LS - usual things - too big to park/drive, too old, too thirsty, etc, etc.

That all went out the window as soon as she drove it, she absolutely loves it.

They're not even expensive to run compared to a newer car with it's 000's a year depreciation.

Ahhhh!!! The Lexus light of love, smugness and quiet satisfaction is shining bright over Monmouthshire.

Mike

I have the same problem:

Slight 'whirring' Sound Under Acceleration From Front Of Engine

Not when accelerating from a stop. Only when going 50-60 mph to 51-61 mph. Or increasing speed slowly.

Mine sounds more like a lawn mower going over a rotting tree stump. Or a better description would be like: exactly like when you go over ruts in the road. The noise come from the front right.

Cheapest AC compressor I found online was around £400. I've phoned my local Lexus dealer to get a price by way of a comparison. May wait until the spring if it is around that money. There's no chance of getting too warm around here over winter!

I have the same problem:

Slight 'whirring' Sound Under Acceleration From Front Of Engine

Not when accelerating from a stop. Only when going 50-60 mph to 51-61 mph. Or increasing speed slowly.

Mine sounds more like a lawn mower going over a rotting tree stump. Or a better description would be like: exactly like when you go over ruts in the road. The noise come from the front right.

That sounds like a front upper wishbone ball joint,it is unlikely to be the A/C compressor as that is front left from the driving position and would not rattle intermintently unless it was falling off its mounting bolts.

To check the ball joint, jack the car off the ground on that wheel and using a tyre lever or bar lift and push inwards at the outside bottom edge of the tyre.If there is any movement you should be able to feel it by placing your fingers around the ball joint.

Cheapest AC compressor I found online was around £400. I've phoned my local Lexus dealer to get a price by way of a comparison. May wait until the spring if it is around that money. There's no chance of getting too warm around here over winter!

Hi Jonathan.

Is the AC working?

Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links