Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Fitting Aftermarket Stereo To 1993 Ls400

Right been a younger LS400 owner i need iPod back in my car as the radio just don't cut it for me.

I have a new double din headunit and got a fitting kit all i need to source is a ISO connection wire. After speaking to one company i have been told it's impossible to fit a aftermarket headunit to my car as it has the premium headunit in it. Now is this true or have people fitted them in there.

I know on my old IS200 i had to bypass the amp.

Any help/links/information would be very handy

Right been a younger LS400 owner i need iPod back in my car as the radio just don't cut it for me.

I have a new double din headunit and got a fitting kit all i need to source is a ISO connection wire. After speaking to one company i have been told it's impossible to fit a aftermarket headunit to my car as it has the premium headunit in it. Now is this true or have people fitted them in there.

I know on my old IS200 i had to bypass the amp.

Any help/links/information would be very handy

Nothing is impossible given you have enough time and money to achieve your goal.

This has been brought up here before recently and I think although possible its very difficult.

Mike

There a company in california will install a aux input , i was quoted for

illumination fix and aux ipnput 1

00 $ and 50 p&p thats great value , from Ireland.

its on the Lexus US site

You have a separate amp under the seat, I think you are going to get into a whole world of pain trying to retro fit, you can get an aux input for youre ipod or mp3 player that connects to the cd changer. A mate done it for a few quid on his mark2 & ls 430 & it works perfect. You have a top of the range stereo in your lex you may ruin it.

IMHO Mark

I fitted a single DIN JVC head unit in mine plus a seperate Sub Amplifier in the space left by the removed CD Changer in the Boot all hard wired but I'm savvy with electronics.

Have a look at the link below, the adaptor leads are still available but will need hardwiring into the original loom.

I'm not sure but I think you will lose the Sub Woofer unless you fit and wire an amplifier as I did and take a phono output from your head unit to the sub amp.

http://www.lexls.com...o/headunit.html

I was also under the impression that there was insufficient height to fit a double DIN headunit and it was 1.5 DIN?.

subamp002.jpg

Untitled_0019_0001.jpg

Do you feel that your after market fit gives you a better sound than the original stereo fitted?

Mike

The sound quality is about the same I think once I had set up the sub woofer level.I am using all the original speakers including the sub.

The OEM was the "Premium" sound system which had Dolby Surround sound effects but the echo was a bit wierd in a car.

I can still make it sound like a Citroen Saxo VTR with 2 18s in the boot if I want to :lol:

Cosmetically it doesn't look as nice as OE.

Wasn't someone recently successful in breaking into the CD cartridge feed, with a switch and aux jack lead or socket? Everything fitted into the slot at the top of the CD glovebox..incl the Ipod. What is that slot for btw? Cassettes dont fit there...

I have lost the sub yes, The is the Pinoneer AppRadio. Its a new headunit on the market and designed for smart phones. So i get traffic reports and sat nav and can even play games on there too

I have lost the sub yes, The is the Pinoneer AppRadio. Its a new headunit on the market and designed for smart phones. So i get traffic reports and sat nav and can even play games on there too

Shame as that goes an awful long way to giving you such a high quality sound. Mike

I could not live without ,the sub , could reroute, but thats hasle i do think its the best soud system i have had in a car and i have had a few. I was looking at that head unit nice ....

Tbh i don't notice the difference, When i sort the leaky boot out i will Probably get a sub sorted or look at re routing the wiring for the oem sub but it's winter and messing with cars is a chore atm and got my track car to sort over the winter

Looks like a great job. Congratulations.

Since owning my LS I have enjoyed finding a use for that massive box of CDs that was in the garage gathering dust! I choose six each week and enjoy the most sublime sound I have ever heard in a car. Swapping them around is part of the fun of LS ownership I've decided! Oh, and I haven't got anywhere near the skills that you have so I guess the original stereo is going nowhere in my car.

Looks like a great job. Congratulations.

Since owning my LS I have enjoyed finding a use for that massive box of CDs that was in the garage gathering dust! I choose six each week and enjoy the most sublime sound I have ever heard in a car. Swapping them around is part of the fun of LS ownership I've decided! Oh, and I haven't got anywhere near the skills that you have so I guess the original stereo is going nowhere in my car.

I agree with you all the way. I have never ever had a sound system as good as this except the one I have indoors.

Mike

Been 23 living with out iPod was killing me, So it's in there now. Will sort it out a bit better in the summer when it's warmer and dont need to be doing work with inspection lamps to see what your doing

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links