Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Aircon

Hi,

I know aircon usually use a bit of fuel and may be power, but I didn't know it affected it that much.

Have been using me Aircon lately to get rid of the smell, but I didn't know it really affects the throttle that much. I only notice the first couple of seconds after I switch it off /or on.

Is it just my car, or my imagination or has any of you guys noticed.

Hi,

I know aircon usually use a bit of fuel and may be power, but I didn't know it affected it that much.

Have been using me Aircon lately to get rid of the smell, but I didn't know it really affects the throttle that much. I only notice the first couple of seconds after I switch it off /or on.

:duh:

noticed what.......

sorry TEDDY i read your post 3 times i still dont see what your asking.......

but if im gonna make a stab at it.........yes it does use more fuel

simplest thing to do is, do a tank of fuel with it on......and a tank of fuel with it off..........

Hi Teddy,

Yes it does make a difference, I've noticed that on my car if I have the aircon on it saps a little power from the acceleration.

It's been like that in the other cars I've driven too. Not a huge affect on performance, but I have noticed a small difference!

Hi,

:duh:

noticed what.......

sorry TEDDY i read your post 3 times i still dont see what your asking.......

but if im gonna make a stab at it.........yes it does use more fuel

simplest thing to do is, do a tank of fuel with it on......and a tank of fuel with it off..........

I was talking about throttle response. You could tell straight away. I have noticed it takes some power away. I thought it would take some power away but didn't think it's something you can instantly notice.

i tried it for a tank on and a tank off and got about 60 miles more with it off

blimey. thats alot. 60 miles? So one pays more for a car with the aircon for the priviledge of paying more on fuel.

Seriously, I hardly use my aircon and even if I do for the first 15 mins to get it to cool down. Even on the motorway, I switch it on / off, and if I am in the 80 -90 Mph cruising mood, I bring the windows down an inch.

Funny thing is, I will never buy a car without aircon / climate, but then I hardly use it.

yep ahha

you have to remember the aircon compressor runs mechanically through an elecromagnetic clutch(you can hear it clicking in and out)

when its in drive, the engine load is increased as the compressor is trying to.....compress the refrigerant

there are devices that can be got to lighten the load on engines....but does the average user need them

electronic water pumps

low power electric fans

smaller alternators

power cut devices, which stop current discharge

yep ahha

you have to remember the aircon compressor runs mechanically through an elecromagnetic clutch(you can hear it clicking in and out)

when its in drive, the engine load is increased as the compressor is trying to.....compress the refrigerant

there are devices that can be got to lighten the load on engines....but does the average user need them

electronic water pumps

low power electric fans

smaller alternators

power cut devices, which stop current discharge

even when you turn the wheel when at idle, the revs change and if your lights are on, you can see a slight change in that too.

The only thing that I haven't noticed move the revs at idle is the pressing the brake pedal. The slightest movement of anything, then the revs move too.

Come thursday, you won't be worrying about fuel economy or lack of power. You'll be wondering how quickly you can get from your nicely chilled Lexus into a nice cold bath via the freezer in order to collect the ice cube tray! 38ºC :nuke:

Haven't really noticed the power drop, but with the aircon on I get at least 2mpg less than with it off.

Yup, come Thursday :nuke: I shall leave the bike at home (too hot for leathers) and take the refrigerated Lex! B)

On the IS200 you can feel it cut in and out whilst driving. On the GS you don't, I guess the bigger engine and the auto box cover the effects.

I don't really notice any reduction in mpg on the GS. Infact the best ever mpg I have had on a run (33mpg) was in hot weather with the aircon on.

I almost always drive with the aircon on, otherwise the auto air recirculation doesn't work B)

if its gonna be that hot on Thursday, air conn won't be much of a help as it will either take a long trip for it to get the temp down or it just won't be able to get cold enough.

Even on recirc!! :duh:

alternator(use a magneto)

ahh the benifits of using an evil x-men super villan

sorry :offtopic:

I gotta say i have not noticed any difference in power with my auto box. could just be me tho

Have to admit, I sometimes only use the aircon to get rid of the smell as well - what causes the smell? Is it just a case of replacing the filter in the glovebox?

Anyone?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links