Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reversing Camera

Composite to RGB converter seems to be working fine. Just set up a temporary camera in the back to try it out.

Have to make up another because this one is a bit of a mess now I've re-jigged a few things.

Anyway, here are a couple of images taken with the camera resting on the back window and the boot lid open.

These are with a low resolution camera too.

I haven't got another composite video source (playstation, DVD, etc) handy to try but will give it a go as soon as.

and no comments on the dirty windscreen..................

lscreen1.jpg

lscreen2.jpg

I'm impressed!

So how much work do you think this will involve for us mere mortals, once any creases are ironed out?

Might need a wider angle camera too?

BTW.....not mentioning the windscreen, as i cant see it for all the muck :P

Well done Geoffers, looks a nice stable picture, better results than I got when I tried this about a year ago. Might be nice having it switched, rather than just on in reverse, make a nice ajunct to rear view mirrors. Now I know it can be done, it might give me the impetus to have another go. Maybe a good idea to find a more up to date chip, to assure contined supply. Seems to be plenty of RGB to composite, but not too many the other way round. ;)

That looks the bee's knees mate.

As Geoffers says, you can still get the LM1881 (nat semi do one), we use it in TV's all the time. An alternative, that also gives a proper horizontal sync, is the GS4981 from Gennum. This may be slightly harder to get here though.

There is a bit of distortion as it first comes on after turning the engine over (about 1 sec after the LCD turns back on) but other than that nothing. It is a bit bright at nightime as there is no auto-dim but you can still use the LCD controls for this.

Matthew_McNally

if you want to try a Playstation 2 - I can bring one around at the weekend?

Thanks for the offer but I'm working this weekend so won't be about.

Bobski

So how much work do you think this will involve for us mere mortals, once any creases are ironed out?

Might need a wider angle camera too?

It's been a bit of a pain getting everything right. Once it is finalised though, it should be straightforward. Definately agree a wide angle lens is required.

Gandalf

.......better results than I got when I tried this about a year ago.

The way you describe it, I'm sure it was just because your sync was too low. I had the same problems before I added the LM1881

What I ultimately want to do is have a switcher that I'm going to link to the TILT switch (I never use it) and have this to switch through the inputs. I may link it so on reverse, it automatically selects the reversing camera.

A lot of work on now so I'll have to leave it for a week or two, but at least we know it works and we are getting somewhere.

Matthew_McNally

if you want to try a Playstation 2 - I can bring one around at the weekend?

Thanks for the offer but I'm working this weekend so won't be about.

offers always there mate - you are only 10 minutes away from my fathes house, and I am there for a few hours mosts Sundays, so can always drop it off if needed ;)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links