Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Another Year Of Ownership - Perhaps A Change Of Car?

Hello all

Just thought I’d give an overview of the costs involved during my 8th year of ownership of my 98 LS400 – this site was immensely helpful in my decision to purchase my vehicle so hopefully this information may help others too.

During the last 12 months I have covered around 15000 miles, car does around 23mpg round town but most of my journeys are longish runs when it can get up to 29/30mpg.

Costs (aside from fuel) as follows;

Costs as follows;
Insurance £453
Tax £220
Annual Service & Mot £576
Refurb of alloys £200 – I have two sets of wheels and run winter tyres on one set
New Battery £100
New front spoiler (the lower rubber surround) £127
New key housing as original was falling apart £64
Total £1740

For the first time the annual service was done at an independent – I have found a small excellent garage around the corner – the proprietor owns an LS400 and is very knowledgeable about the vehicle.

I still love the car – longest I have ever owned the same car by a country mile. That said, I had a test drive in a 57 plate 460 SEL yesterday – didn’t notice a great deal of difference in terms of ride etc – probably worse in the 460 due to the 19 inch wheels but the kit and the toys were amazing and my two young kids loved the rear entertainment pack and mu wife preferred the more modern looks – she’s always hated the look of the 400.

So after almost 10 years of ownership – will be a very difficult move to make. Need to do a few more checks on the 460 – can see service history in years 1, 2, 3 but nothing after that also wondering if I can run a 460 on smaller wheels- not too bothered about the impact on the looks – more interested in the ride and the cost of tyres etc as I will be running winter tyres alongside the summer ones.

Any advice from anyone that has made the switch from 400 to 460 would be welcome.

Thanks

All I would ask is :

Why change from near perfection into the unknown ?

We all know that your LS 400 will probably still outlast and cost far less to run than a LS460 ............. don't we !!! :whistling:

Malc

hi

i have just changed back to good old mark 4 ls400 from a ls430 - i found the 430 noisier and not as smooth as the 400 despite more toys.

And i think you you overpaid for the key housing - they are readily available on the auction site - i have just bought one for £3.49 and its just as good as the original with the gold lexus logo at the back

Go for it.

Sometimes you just need a change into something modern.

You will either enjoy it or hate it. Only one way to find out.

Sounds like your whole family will be behind you on the change aswell, dont underestimate that bit.

Go for it.

Sometimes you just need a change into something modern.

You will either enjoy it or hate it. Only one way to find out.

Sounds like your whole family will be behind you on the change aswell, dont underestimate that bit.

Test driving a few wont do any harm, at least it will give you a feel for what you are going to get or not as the case may be. Mike

Thanks guys - don't disagree with any of the comments - after 10 years with the same car, it's vey hard to change and I know in my heart of hearts the 460 won't actually be any better at what I get from my 400. I was looking at the 600 and also the Rx450 but not seriously - this car is on my doorstep and yes parts of it are not as nice as the 400 but then again some bits are.

I'm in the fortunate position of being able to keep the 400 although not ideal for storage - I keep winding my son up that I am saving the car for him - he's only 6 mind!

I have spent a lot of money on the LS over the past 9 years - pretty much everything done at the dealer and it's the only car I have ever felt attached to. I guess I can't keep it for ever - or can I ?!

I keep hearing criticism over the ride of the 430 as opposed to the smoother ride of a 400, is this a fact? Do all 430's take a larger tyre or wheel-size or what? excuse my ignorance on this topic-as I genuinely don't know about the differences of those models,Iain.

Can you keep it forever ? well, quite likely.

I'm doubtless going to keep mine until some dastardly event overtakes me that I just can't keep it anymore, like a write-off ( again maybe ) AND AT THAT TIME I will be forced into making a decision on my next LS and that will probably be a Mk 4 or a 460,....... too much non-positive stuff I've been reading for it to be a 430 methinks !

Malc

Thanks guys - don't disagree with any of the comments - after 10 years with the same car, it's vey hard to change and I know in my heart of hearts the 460 won't actually be any better at what I get from my 400. I was looking at the 600 and also the Rx450 but not seriously - this car is on my doorstep and yes parts of it are not as nice as the 400 but then again some bits are.

I'm in the fortunate position of being able to keep the 400 although not ideal for storage - I keep winding my son up that I am saving the car for him - he's only 6 mind!

I have spent a lot of money on the LS over the past 9 years - pretty much everything done at the dealer and it's the only car I have ever felt attached to. I guess I can't keep it for ever - or can I ?!

All the time you can unbolt repair and bolt it back on again it can go on forever. I suspect what will almost certainly put the tin lid on them is body rot which when it starts is like a cancer. Mine is now 15 years old and has no signs of metal rot anywhere so provided you can keep up with any metal problems that arise then that is timeless as well. Steve Berry ex Top Gear presenter and motor Journalist has a 6. something or other litre Mercedes from the 70's and has it serviced as and when needed.True recycling and not one of these Hybrids where they conveniently forget how much pollution is caused in the making of it and even more when its finished its life on this dear planet of ours. Mike

I'm not going to jump in too quickly - after almost 10 years, I'm not in a huge hurry. The car I have seen is with an independent dealer - car looks mint, drives well, save for some wandering to the left. Bit that's bothering me is that for the first three years there is a fully stamped up service book but nothing since Jan 2010 - in between that period the mileage has gone from 31k to 66k. I'm going to see if the Lexus dealer I have used for past 10 years will do an inspection for me.

As I said, the other that worries me is wheel size - just been looking at the price of tyres for the 19s which are a lot more than what I'm used to paying. That said in the grand scheme of things in terms of pence per mile etc, I don't suppose there is much in it.

Will see what my dealer says tomorrow and take it from there.

I'm not going to jump in too quickly - after almost 10 years, I'm not in a huge hurry. The car I have seen is with an independent dealer - car looks mint, drives well, save for some wandering to the left. Bit that's bothering me is that for the first three years there is a fully stamped up service book but nothing since Jan 2010 - in between that period the mileage has gone from 31k to 66k. I'm going to see if the Lexus dealer I have used for past 10 years will do an inspection for me.

As I said, the other that worries me is wheel size - just been looking at the price of tyres for the 19s which are a lot more than what I'm used to paying. That said in the grand scheme of things in terms of pence per mile etc, I don't suppose there is much in it.

Will see what my dealer says tomorrow and take it from there.

I would be worried about the car wandering off to the left. Is the steering wheel in the correct position when going down a straight road thats not too badly cambered or does it sit in the offset position?

Does your LS400 wander off to the left down the same piece of road? Mike

I keep hearing criticism over the ride of the 430 as opposed to the smoother ride of a 400, is this a fact? Do all 430's take a larger tyre or wheel-size or what? excuse my ignorance on this topic-as I genuinely don't know about the differences of those models,Iain.

Yes this is a fact especially the facelift ones with lower profile tires - they are just not the same - i think if a non lexus driver bought one he wouldnt notice - but if you have driven th Mark 3/4 then you will notice it straight away

car looks mint, drives well, save for some wandering to the left.

I would be worried about the car wandering off to the left. Is the steering wheel in the correct position when going down a straight road thats not too badly cambered or does it sit in the offset position?

Does your LS400 wander off to the left down the same piece of road? Mike

May be somewhat related, but worth checking the link below with regards to the LS460 steering angle sensor:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/80623-ls460-steering-rack/

Mike - not being down the same road in my 400 so not sure.

Just read a previous post from moriwaki re the disappointment when moving from the 400 to the 460 - seems that the 460 would be fantastic for most folk that have never driven the 400 but if you have driven the 400 then clearly a different proposition.

It is of course much easier to sit tight and do nothing.

I had a 430 not long ago, sold it and jumped back into a 2000 400. Never again will i buy a 430. The 430 is a noisy ride and too many toys in it so more to go wrong.

But my dad also has a 2000 silver ls400 that he wants to give me as he cant drive much anymore so i may be selling my 2000 green ls400. The 400 is a much better car.

OMG I've been driving 46 years !!!! :whistling:

Malc

Thats a long time mate!..

Mind you its exactly the same for me. Passed my test in june 1967 in a Bedford RL 3 ton truck.

Passed mine second time of trying 1964 and I have got worse ever since. Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links