Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Aa Rip Off, Don't Let It Happen To You.

I've been with the AA for 30 years and only needed them three times. We have full cover and this year the renewal was £170. After looking at the money saving expert's web site, Martin Lewis says you can haggle with the AA so I did. After saying I would leave and go over to the RAC they reduced my premium to £117. When I asked why they don't do this automatically, especially for long term members the lady said "we do it but don't advertise it"

That's £53 saved just for asking. So if yours is up for renewal, haggle!

Phil

they will do you if they can get away with it..90% of the time they know the public just leave any policy to roll on and the British are known not to be very good hagglers and this plays in their favour aswell.

Haggle every time and show no loyalty.

Seriously........30 yrs...why? Move on every year if you get a better deal elsewhere....there is no point in loyalty.

• Like 1

they will do you if they can get away with it..90% of the time they know the public just leave any policy to roll on and the British are known not to be very good hagglers and this plays in their favour aswell.

Time to stop being too British then? I just did the same thing with my house insurance and it came down.

Haggle every time and show no loyalty.

Seriously........30 yrs...why? Move on every year if you get a better deal elsewhere....there is no point in loyalty.

I couldn't agree more, they're certainly not loyal to you! Last year I put petrol in my diesel car and had to fight to get the AA to tow my car to my workshop, they wanted to charge me around £240 to have it drained at the side of the road, after 29 years of membership!!

normski2

Definitely, it's dog eat dog in this age,gone are the days of loyalty to an established company, get the cheapest deal, no need for me to chunter-on about 'rip-off Britain'-we all know the score, AA and RAC are run by a bunch of bean-counters these days, it ain't about Road-Side Service any more, these days are long gone,yes,I know that may sound sentimental and niave,but I'm old enough to remember when they wore a uniform,and saluted,when coming to your roadside-rescue, ah! halcyon days indeed!

normski2

Definitely, it's dog eat dog in this age,gone are the days of loyalty to an established company, get the cheapest deal, no need for me to chunter-on about 'rip-off Britain'-we all know the score, AA and RAC are run by a bunch of bean-counters these days, it ain't about Road-Side Service any more, these days are long gone,yes,I know that may sound sentimental and niave,but I'm old enough to remember when they wore a uniform,and saluted,when coming to your roadside-rescue, ah! halcyon days indeed!

Most of today's firms no longer award loyalty particularly firms like the AA who are now owned by a hedge fund

Talking of loyalty, about 5 years ago I opened a new business account with the Bank of Scotland, they told me how wonderful they are compared to Barclays who I'd been with for over 20 years with no problems. BOS gave me a business overdraft (which they charged me for) but after using it for a year they questioned why I was using it so much! I said why does it matter as long as you get your interest? When it came up for renewal I had to fight to get it reinstated. They told me they only had my best interests at heart. I said no you don't, they said yes we do, I said no you don't, they said yes we do. We agreed to differ but I know I'm right. Going back to Martin Lewis who I mentioned, he said "The banks are your enemy" I certainly proved that one right. Sadly that seems to be the case with so many big organisations now, they used to serve, now they just take and give as little as possible in return. Now that I've got that off my chest it's back to that bottle of Rioja!

• Like 1

Years ago,I ran a Landscape Construction company, the Bank I used, (Nat West) did me no favours whatsoever,when I started-up, within a year, I was run off my feet-business just took off like a plane, Bank couldn't do enough for me, I'm not that niave to appreciate that they (Banks) are not a charity, but I never forgot how unhelpful they were in the early days, one of my more friendly competitors, once boasted to me about how he and his Bank Manager were so friendly,they play rounds of golf together, I replied: "you wait till you experience financial hardship,see how friendly he stays then", unfortunately for him, he found that out all too soon a year later,when soaring overheads busted him, and the Bank pulled the financial rug from under him, his golf-partner walked away from him, Banks are NOT your friend.

I seem to have combined the 2 evils here with my AA membership coming as part of my Lloyds TSB package account.

What did annoy me was the AA will not recover you vehicle if the only driver is incapacitated but the RAC and others will.

Just my luck to break my foot on holiday and then being stranded at the airport unable to drive with a pot on my leg.

I seem to have combined the 2 evils here with my AA membership coming as part of my Lloyds TSB package account.

What did annoy me was the AA will not recover you vehicle if the only driver is incapacitated but the RAC and others will.

Just my luck to break my foot on holiday and then being stranded at the airport unable to drive with a pot on my leg.

One evil could be overlooked, but two may require exorcism. I just remembered, when I called the AA after putting the wrong fuel in, although they said it would cost around £240 to have it drained, they said I would get a discount as a member!! Eventually they gave in, towed it to my workshop where a mechanic did it for £30! Which makes me think, did they just try to sell me another service I didn't want, knowing that it is their responsibility to tow me as a member if that's what I wanted. The AA in league with the company that does the roadside draining me thinks.

• 3 weeks later...

Try ADAC plus, covers you Europe wide & beyond about 79 euro a year. You can join via fax & the cover is unbelievable I've tried them out a few times.

Rescued me off a glacier (snowboarding accident) 2 ambulances 1 nurse, hotel, doctors bill & recovery of my 7.5 tonne camper home all paid for.

2nd time got the camper stuck off road on a Greek mountainside sent mechanic & a bulldozer to recover it ( low loader wouldn't be able to get the camper down) their response was don't worry if there is a way we will find it.

3rd time in Spain on a Sunday afternoon my Mr's bike broke down recovered us to a camp site we were heading for & came back the next day to take the bike for repair.

They even have their own planes to repatriate people. & yes all for 79 euro a year, Make sure you get ADAC Plus though.

Google it & get the form to fax over.

I can't praise the service I have had from them enough, Yes being German they are very efficient

Blimey, they almost sound too good to be true, make the Brit equivalent options look a bit wanting, I'll say.

Been a member of the AA for a few years now, they did their job for me on several occasions in the past, both involving long distance vehicle recovery from Scotland back to England, no problem, haven't had to use them for a while (touch wood)

When I get collard by the AA or RAC reps outside Tesco I tell them about the ADAC every one of them has asked me how do I join.

ADAC PLUS is about the same as AA 5 star that you pay an exorbertant amount extra for when you travel abroad.

I used ADAC for 8 years whilst living in Germany, and they were indeed very good. Did not realise that you could join from outside Germany though,.. worth looking into.

Do they subcontract another company in the UK?... I have never seen ADAC vans on our roads...

Not AA I hope! ;-)

When I had a breakdown on a bike in the UK it was the AA that recovered the bike & me home 126 miles.

In Austria they sent a German HGV driver with the Ambulance driver & nurse to get me home.

You are still dealing with the ADAC though & they deal with the companies in other countries.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links