Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Do You Make Of This?

I owned a H reg for 16 years and that as gone on to a new owner with 190k on the clock when I bought it in 96 it had 50k on the clock and was then as nice as this one is ,but some one as been sleeping with this one and it is in remarkable condition.At that price or even double it is a buy because it will be a classic collecters car and in 10 years time worth treble that price if kept as it is now.Unfortunatly I have moved up to a mint Mark IV and that has priority in the Garage, so I have to say I'M Out.

• Like 1

I'm off to view it on Wed so will report back.

Now, call me stupid if you like, but I'm thinking about buying this H reg one (none LPG) as a replacement for my '98 one (with LPG). I don't really want or need both. My '98 one is lovely, has a full MOT and around 169k on the clock. There are no major issues with it and just a couple of minor things that need attention at some point (the bearing on the a/c whines a tiny bit and there is a bit of wobble off the front discs when braking). I don't do more that 6000 miles a year so the whole LPG thing is not a clincher for me.

The thing is that the first LS400 I saw was an H reg and there is something in me that would really like a very early one? I like the look of them very much.

What would you do?

• Like 1

Go buy it, it looks great and I doubt you would find another looking so well turned out.

It will last you forever mind so be prepared to love it to the end of time won't you !!!

Malc

The answer to that question only you can answer.Couple of points I need to make on this model having owned one for 16 years and know them inside out.There are parts that are now unobtainable with only 65k on the clock it might seem irrelevant but if it is in an accident you could be in a write off situation for what seems a minor bump.Check the rear subframe and rear of the cills for rust especially behind the plastic insert forward of the rear wheel arch.Personally I would consider keeping it as an investment as per its condition which unfortunatly you will put at risk on every outing you make.

Could be one of the very few investments at that price that one could really, really enjoy.

The rust ( if any ) can be sorted and if one had even a minor knock on absolutely any car these days the insurers might well write it off !!!

Unless of course you actually insure it as a Classic with an Agreed Value ....... then you might win !

Malc

GO4IT ....... if you don't someone else is bound to.

Malc

I was not referring to economic write off The parts for repair may just not be available I know for a fact the bonnet and boot are no longer made and that was a few years back it might not be just those parts the suspension parts on the Mark 1 were changed in 92 so as I have said it is a consideration if the car is to be used on a regular basis.This was one of the reasons mine had to go it was not mint enough to be kept as a classic although I had looked after it, it was just all those miles.

i agree,looks a good car,and sensible price,i changed to a mk4 this year,from a k reg,but the older ones seem to have a charm,that the newer ones lack, imo ,a good usuable classic to enjoy,as malc says any accident will render it a write off,as it will be uneconomic to repair

That looks the same colour as mine (Lexus Dark Silver) I don't think I have seen another before.

It does look nice, even the shift and steering wheel appear unworn.

I wonder where the Battery terminal covers went as they are clipped onto the cables.

Definitely worth a look.

The wheels will I think be the 15" versions.

If anyone does buy it I have a brand new set of OEM front brake pads in the garage for it.

That looks the same colour as mine (Lexus Dark Silver) I don't think I have seen another before.

It does look nice, even the shift and steering wheel appear unworn.

I wonder where the battery terminal covers went as they are clipped onto the cables.

Definitely worth a look.

The wheels will I think be the 15" versions.

If anyone does buy it I have a brand new set of OEM front brake pads in the garage for it.

Now when I said it wouldn't be my first choice colour wise it looked a brownish rust colour on my monitor, having looked again and reading what you've said about yours I got that wrong! I've seen a picture of yours and it's actually a colour that I think would look good made today.

Car was a dark grey. In lovely condition and drove well. A few scratches but nothing that wouldn't be easily fixable. Really looked more like 10 years old, not nearly 25! The only thing that put me off was the dark brown leather interior and the seats didn't seem to be as supportive as my car.

I've decided I can't keep both my current car and this one. So, have to decide tonight whether to keep my current '98 LS with LPG and 164k, or look to sell that and buy this '90 mark 1 with 66k and a good history.

Thanks for th responses so far. Really not sure what to to! Any further advice appreciated.

Car was a dark grey. In lovely condition and drove well. A few scratches but nothing that wouldn't be easily fixable. Really looked more like 10 years old, not nearly 25! The only thing that put me off was the dark brown leather interior and the seats didn't seem to be as supportive as my car.

I've decided I can't keep both my current car and this one. So, have to decide tonight whether to keep my current '98 LS with LPG and 164k, or look to sell that and buy this '90 mark 1 with 66k and a good history.

Thanks for th responses so far. Really not sure what to to! Any further advice appreciated.

After owning a MK2 for 5 years, as great as it was, after now owning a MK4 I would never go back. A much nicer car all round, but just my opinion.

Phil

Why get rid of a car that you can drive for "mondeo money" to replace it with a car that is less refined and you said yourself it is less comfortable and costs twice as much to run

If I was you I know what I would be doing

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links