Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Personalised Plates

nelmo

I've just bought a private plate which vaguely reads as my surname BUT on the weekend, I saw this on a new car (can't remember what the car was, something like a Golf):

W14 KER

Now, why would anyone pay money for that? :phone:

I've just bought a private plate which vaguely reads as my surname BUT on the weekend, I saw this on a new car (can't remember what the car was, something like a Golf):

W14 KER

Now, why would anyone pay money for that? :phone:

I don't know why anyone pays for "private/personalised registration". It doesn't improve the car in any way.

Is it a vanity/snobbery thing that drives the market for these registrations?

I have had a private plate for around 12 years. It wasn't vanity or snobbery it advertised my business and it worked really well being the ice breaker to opening many conversations with shy customers. I wouldn't know how much business the plate directly turned into orders but I certainly met and spoke to many customers I may not have had the chance to sell too without it.

I have had a private plate for around 12 years. It wasn't vanity or snobbery it advertised my business and it worked really well being the ice breaker to opening many conversations with shy customers. I wouldn't know how much business the plate directly turned into orders but I certainly met and spoke to many customers I may not have had the chance to sell too without it.

Nice to hear that it worked for you Mike. I was generalising and accept that there will examples such as yours but I would imagine that you are probably in the minority. There is a haulage contractor in Coventry who tries to get new vehicles registered in whichever part of the country has JB as its prefix which, like you, is not driven by vanity/snobbery, but I still think that the market for these registrations is not normally "business" driven

• Like 1

What's wrong with having a private plate that has your initials, business name, favourite number or anything you desire on? I don't think it's anything to do with snobbery or vanity. Is it vain that we like to have nice cars?

You may judge from my opinion that I have a private plate, well I don't.

What's wrong with having a private plate that has your initials, business name, favourite number or anything you desire on? I don't think it's anything to do with snobbery or vanity. Is it vain that we like to have nice cars?

Your opinion would not make me think that you had a "private" plate, everyone is entitled to and has their own opinions. My opinion is that they are generally (with some exceptions) a total waste of money. They add nothing to the vehicle in terms of comfort, performance, reliability or even appearance and in no way will they make a car any "nicer". I have known people with these so called "private plates" who moan about the cost of tyres, brakes, servicing, insurance, tax etc. but feel that paying for these registration marks is not a problem. I am not for one moment inferring that this applies to all people who pay for these registration marks.

If you actually read my post at #2 I actually asked if that was what drove the market for these so called "private plates"....although why people call them private is beyond me.

Your opinion would not make me think that you had a "private" plate, everyone is entitled to and has their own opinions. My opinion is that they are generally (with some exceptions) a total waste of money. They add nothing to the vehicle in terms of comfort, performance, reliability or even appearance and in no way will they make a car any "nicer". I have known people with these so called "private plates" who moan about the cost of tyres, brakes, servicing, insurance, tax etc. but feel that paying for these registration marks is not a problem. I am not for one moment inferring that this applies to all people who pay for these registration marks.

If you actually read my post at #2 I actually asked if that was what drove the market for these so called "private plates"....although why people call them private is beyond me.

I imagine that they are called private plates because you own the plate (I have a certificate of ownership for the plate issued by DVLA) unlike a car that has a reg given to it when 1st registered to go on the road. You see in people selling cars that they describe an unusual number on the car as being a private plate but they are not.

A private plate is just that, when you buy it it becomes private to you, you own that plate for as long as you wish or until you decide to sell it. Actually a lot of people buy them as investments, they do increase with value. They can also be called private plates as they can make the cars age/identity private.

Unlike tyres, tax, insurance or any other motoring cost these are essential and we all like a moan at how much we spend on them. A private plate isn't essential and is generally a one off cost of choice that in the long run probably works out cheaper due to resale value.

I'm sure ultimately we would all like a plate of choice if it cost nothing, I'm sure in America you're given a plate for life of choice once you gain a licence.

K1 NGS sold for £400,000 some time ago.

A private plate is just that, when you buy it it becomes private to you, you own that plate for as long as you wish or until you decide to sell it. Actually a lot of people buy them as investments, they do increase with value. They can also be called private plates as they can make the cars age/identity private.

Unlike tyres, tax, insurance or any other motoring cost these are essential and we all like a moan at how much we spend on them. A private plate isn't essential and is generally a one off cost of choice that in the long run probably works out cheaper due to resale value.

I'm sure ultimately we would all like a plate of choice if it cost nothing, I'm sure in America you're given a plate for life of choice once you gain a licence.

K1 NGS sold for £400,000 some time ago.

Private plate is really totally wrong terminology since once you purchase the registration it is displayed openly to all and sundry on your vehicle......not very private! Better terminology is maybe "personalised registration".

The fact that they are not essential is what gets me when I hear some people moan about not being able to afford essentials for their vehicle but they can afford to pay for these.

Personally I have no real interest in what the registration of my vehicles are.

£400k ... some people just have more money than sense!

Anyway, each to their own, it was interesting to see a couple of other views on the subject but my view hasn't altered and I accept that your view on the subject is not likely to alter.

They add nothing to the vehicle in terms of comfort, performance, reliability or even appearance and in no way will they make a car any "nicer"

Ah, that is the crux of the matter - i think they make a car look much better. I'm not sure i can really explain it - its maybe down to the fact that it is different format to other cars and stands out.

Obviously a personal thing - my wife doesn't get it either :-)

I have a personalised plate, but I had to change mine as the last three letters spelled GAE.

Got sick of people taking the p*ss!

"here comes Chris and his gay Lexus" for example :lol:

Plus just having 5 characters on the plate does look better ;)

Well mine came with the car so I'll keep it, and probably transfer it when I next change, simply because it will always be worth something to someone, even though it's only about £400. Personally, I wouldn't choose to buy one, and my wife really gets wound up over them!

I just like the idea my car is dateless. Some ppl may judge it on its age like my friend recently when i told him what i drove he asked the year i said 2000 and he was half ripping me for driving such a old car but age has nothing to do with how good or bad a car is. I look at a car for what it is. Ppl have different reasons. But noticed to be quite common private plates frustrate ppl i saw it on come dine with me too, absolutely raging

bought mine as a divorce present to myself, makes me feel good every morning i see it :) :)

Someone once told me that Fiona Fullerton had bought "FU2", But perhaps it was you Steve?

Anyway, congratulations on your present to yourself.

Regards

John

bought mine as a divorce present to myself, makes me feel good every morning i see it :) :)

Someone once told me that Fiona Fullerton had bought "FU2", But perhaps it was you Steve?

Regards

John

It was Fiona Richmond, bit of a girl in the 70s as I recall.

7kI6Jjxi.jpg

My Father-in-Law has a plate on his 12 year-old Suzuki Ignus, it spells out most of his surname,and is very distinctive,the number( no pun intended) of times, that certain people,have asked if he'd sell it,I've lost count of, -it's worth far more than his cars value.

Ironically,in the States,and Canada,if you so desire a personalized licence plate on your car,you can have virtually anything printed on it,as long as it's not an obvious obscenity,and it'll only cost you the price of the plate,plus a bit more for the printing.

Regards

John

It was Fiona Richmond, bit of a girl in the 70s as I recall.

7kI6Jjxi.jpg

Thanks Mike.

Good to know that my memory is not as bad as my wife says it is !

If you remember FF too then we might have been Milk Monitors in the same class at Primary School !!

Your not Glen are you? If so you are a very lucky boy.

Regards

John

I remember going to Soho in early 1970s to see a show with Fiona at the Raymond Revue bar.

I can't remember what it was called, but I DO remember it was utter crap, and also featured a certain John Inman.

I thoroughly enjoyed the seventies, but that show was a very expensive low point.

Oh, nearly forgot...was never a milk monitor, not Glen, but definitely been quite lucky overall :)

• Like 1

i have one on my 220d. I also had it on my previous s class mercedes s320. This is not snobbery, its simply about making the car look and feel an individual thing and a part of your life.

You don't like private plates? Cool, don't get one, but don't come on here and slag off the ones that do, ok?

It's down to personal choice, live with it.

• Like 1

i have one on my 220d. I also had it on my previous s class mercedes s320. This is not snobbery, its simply about making the car look and feel an individual thing and a part of your life.

You don't like private plates? Cool, don't get one, but don't come on here and slag off the ones that do, ok?

It's down to personal choice, live with it.

Having re-read all posts on this thread I don't see anyone "slagging off" people who have personalised registrations for their vehicles. Everyone has a right to their opinion on things and to voice those opinions in discussions on forums such as this which is something which you need to live with.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links