Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Isf Rear Spoiler From Lovely Taiwan... 3M Tape...

Hello all,

Ordered and received a rear isf boot spoiler and roof spoiler... I have to say that for the price I'm bloody impressed! Anyhoo... I am a tad worried that to attach both the spoilers is just some 3M tape. I'm used to drilling holes in boots to fit spoilers so a little shocked if this is normal practice for these small lip boot spoilers and also the roof one too.

So... Anyone fitted one of these?

Here's a link to the very cheap ones I bought... The paint finish is perfect! Shocked! http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=251447466939

I have found that Lexus paint is very soft (I think that it is because of a change from oil to water-based paint to conform to international regulations) so sticking on something with tape might result in the whole thing ripping away, along with the paintwork. Also, I wonder if you might be reducing any resale value of your car. Frankly, I would reject a Lexus with any after-sales modification as it suggests that other modifications may have been fitted or tried. That's a purely personal view, of course.

If you do go ahead and fit them, there's no need to worry about tape or paint. My old is200 had one fitted when i bought it and never moved even after 2 yrs of jetwashing.

Once it's on it isn't going anywhere.

Couple of tips. don't try fitting while it's damp or cold and make sure the glue is at room temperature at least before fitting to car.

Have to say I wouldn't feel comfortable with just tape. Eventually water will get in there and weaken the bond and you will say goodbye to them at some point as you see them fly off the back of the car!

Interesting perspective re the reselling of the car...not an issue for me...as I buy a car and want to make it my own...I'd rather buy a car and think of the 'now' rather than any small implications such as reducing the number of potential buyers when I come to resell it. However, I never modify my main vehicle to the point of not being able to revert to factory spec.

Re the original post...Looks like I wouldn't be the only one to wonder if the 3M tape would suffice. I will see how it goes for the time being. I might use vehicle bonding silicone if I am not happy with the tape. Either way I am sure I'll be happy ;-)

I bought a boot spoiler from the same place as you almost a year ago now and the colour match to the car was spot on - cannot fault it - has been stuck on with the adhesive strips that come with it - enough to place the adhesive strip around the contour of the outer edge of the spoiler. No issues with it sticking, still solid. It should not peel the paint off.

I was that impressed with the spoiler I bought a high level one and that's the same, quality wise. Stuck onto the rear screen with the same adhesive strips. No problem.

I bought these from Taiwan as I could not find what I wanted in the UK.

I have tried to put a picture up but cant find a way of doing so - if you know how I will add a picture.

I understand your point, PilgrimIS, about wanting to put your personal stamp on your car and those spoilers do look very discreet and in keeping with the car's style. My 3 generation IS250 has something similar on the boot so Lexus clearly thought that something was missing. When you have fixed your spoilers, maybe you could post a photo or two?

Click on "more reply options" under the dialogue box, this will reveal at the bottom "Choose File" so click on this and select the picture from your folder then click on "attach this file".

Once uploaded it will show as "Add to post" so click on this and then hit post as normal.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

well at that price i had difficulty in not clicking buy.

Its on my car now and looks as good as photos, and is on rock solid.

Painted in my colour code upon arrival.

no front lip...!

Heres 3 pics of the profile on mine - it was bought from Taiwan a couple of years ago from eBay - Painted with Standox paint which has proved to be very good in both its colour match and resilience to the UK weather. Again, its a 3M adhesive type but its solid on the car. Just remember to prep the area that the adhesive will fit over by either using the supplied solvent or use an IPA type solvent before fixing to the car to remove any dirt from the area.

I would definitely buy another again.

post-35349-0-34038800-1438106766_thumb.j

post-35349-0-43577700-1438106785_thumb.j

post-35349-0-26884000-1438106806_thumb.j

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links