Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Spare Key Battery Life

Abbo07

Being the sole driver in the family I only use one of the keyless supplied keys, the other spare sits in a cupboard dormant. What I didn't know until a electronics friend told me is that the spare key is like a Bluetooth phone & is continually "hunting" looking for a signal therefore draining the Battery in the key fob. So good folk beware you might pick your spare up & find it has a flat Battery. Mine still sits in cupboard but now with the Battery removed.

Good info - thanks but before I remove my Battery I'd hate it to be like some other batteried items where unless a Battery is replaced within a quite short period - the item loses it's identity and has to be reprogrammed. I'm not saying lexus is like that but perhaps someone can provide reassurance on that point?

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

• Like 1

I use my remote key most days and the Battery is now 7 years old and still working fine, provided you use a quality Battery they will last years.

Removing the Battery can mean it will need reprogramming to the car, the batteries don't leak so leave it in is my advice.

I get the dealership to change my key fob Battery every 2

years on a major service, so far I have never been charged for it, shouldn’t

either the amount they charge for a service

The last time I changed the key fob Battery in each of the key fobs was just before xmas. I bought a card of batteries from pound land as I had the year previously and changed the two batteries. I dont worry how long the batteries last since it costs me a pound to change both key fobs for the car, our burglar alarm and the electric garage doors. It takes me about 45 minutes to do the work ( 6 key fobs). I take the old batteries to work and add them to the Battery cycling bin. Minimum worries all round. Our Honda is a bit annoying since it takes a different size of Battery in the key fob which means that I have to buy a different card of coin cell batteries at pound land. I wonder how much the dealers charge.

You are deluding yourselves if you think any car dealer does anything for free.

Maybe they did not appear on the invoice as mine did, but the price will have been added in somewhere.

• 3 years later...

I replaced the CR1632 Battery in the key fob for my 2007 GS300 20 months ago with a good quality Renata one from a reputable reseller I use regularly. It still works fine but a message has appeared on the dash saying 'Key fob battery low'. I'm just wondering if this warning is a very early warning and that the Battery won't actually die for a long time to come (just like when the petrol gauge says it's empty but actually there is quite a bit of petrol still remaining in the tank - not that I've allowed that to happen too often!) Any ideas?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links