Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Yesterday got the delivery of a year 2000 Mark 4 LS400 that I bought from Ireland over the phone. One owner car done 68000 miles. Guy got it delivered it here for 1500 Euros all inclusive. Had seen the pictures, cherry red colour, beige interior, no satnav or sunroof in the Irish spec, but that didn't bother me. I had done the Irish hpi check, and verified ownership, mileage etc. So far I thought that I am getting a great deal. However, cosmetically the car is full of dents and scratches including both bumpers and a badly resprayed rear door, antenna is broken, memory function is a bit hit and miss and the steering wheel telescopic function doesn't work either. Tyres and Battery aren't great either. How heart breaking. All this has taught me a good lesson. On the positive side Mrs is surprisingly quite supportive and likes the car! Also it's spot on mechanically, leather is unmarked and engine is super-smooth and the whole car feels crisp and tight, doors shut perfectly, perfect tracking etc.

Now wondering where to start from. How to restore it to its glory without having to break the bank. Will need all the expert advice that I can get.

Thanks in advance. Tarun

What a great pity, although you seem to have the attitude that you want to make the best of the circumstances.

I am no expert in the kind of repairs you are looking to carry out, but wanted to wish you good luck ! When you have finished all the work, you will have such an attachment to the car, having given it such time and commitment - and the odd pound or two, of course :innocent:

Yesterday got the delivery of a year 2000 Mark 4 LS400 that I bought from Ireland over the phone. One owner car done 68000 miles. Guy got it delivered it here for 1500 Euros all inclusive. Had seen the pictures, cherry red colour, beige interior, no satnav or sunroof in the Irish spec, but that didn't bother me. I had done the Irish hpi check, and verified ownership, mileage etc. So far I thought that I am getting a great deal. However, cosmetically the car is full of dents and scratches including both bumpers and a badly resprayed rear door, antenna is broken, memory function is a bit hit and miss and the steering wheel telescopic function doesn't work either. Tyres and battery aren't great either. How heart breaking. All this has taught me a good lesson. On the positive side Mrs is surprisingly quite supportive and likes the car! Also it's spot on mechanically, leather is unmarked and engine is super-smooth and the whole car feels crisp and tight, doors shut perfectly, perfect tracking etc.

Now wondering where to start from. How to restore it to its glory without having to break the bank. Will need all the expert advice that I can get.

Thanks in advance. Tarun

HI

Taruwn could you do a write up on what paperwork is involved please when the car arrives here

p.s im wondering wether this is the same car bilmac viewed for bluesman?

Yesterday got the delivery of a year 2000 Mark 4 LS400 that I bought from Ireland over the phone. One owner car done 68000 miles. Guy got it delivered it here for 1500 Euros all inclusive. Had seen the pictures, cherry red colour, beige interior, no satnav or sunroof in the Irish spec, but that didn't bother me. I had done the Irish hpi check, and verified ownership, mileage etc. So far I thought that I am getting a great deal. However, cosmetically the car is full of dents and scratches including both bumpers and a badly resprayed rear door, antenna is broken, memory function is a bit hit and miss and the steering wheel telescopic function doesn't work either. Tyres and battery aren't great either. How heart breaking. All this has taught me a good lesson. On the positive side Mrs is surprisingly quite supportive and likes the car! Also it's spot on mechanically, leather is unmarked and engine is super-smooth and the whole car feels crisp and tight, doors shut perfectly, perfect tracking etc.

Thanks in advance. Tarun

HI

Taruwn could you do a write up on what paperwork is involved please when the car arrives here

You could be right. Mike

mike do you have a link to the original thread?

I don't have a link for it but this was the reply I got from William on 20th Feb 2015 does it ring any bells? Its the same car. Regards Mike

Maroon 200 LS40 with 68k

Guys, this is second time in a few days that members have bought cars 'sight unseen' (Rudy got a 430 with a few problems) and been disappointed with the results.

As a group, we are spread around quite a bit and I'm sure that, if a member needed a car checked out, any one of us who was near the vehicle in question would happily give it a once-over.

The thought of laying out cash for a used car, 'sight unseen', makes my Scottish blood run cold...........

3 simple rules when buying a car ............ never buy sight unseen, never buy in the dark and never buy when it's raining on the car

new or secondhand

Malc

let me get this right, you got a ls400 shipped to England for 1,500euro all in, and your complaining about dents etc?

sorry if i am a bit mistaken but i think its not a bad deal, for a car that era you dont expect a brand new lexus?

3 simple rules when buying a car ............ never buy sight unseen, never buy in the dark and never buy when it's raining on the car

new or secondhand

Malc

I paid a deposit over the phone for this, in haste i would add, and took for my first viewing after work a week back when it was ****** and dark.

Sometimes you need to use gut instinct, I was looking for one of these for my mam for a bit and this looked a peach. I just got the seller to MOT it, and passed with no advisories.

20150314_175033.jpg
20150314_175022.jpg
20150314_175015.jpg
20150314_174958.jpg
20150314_175002.jpg

new or secondhand

Malc

Agree'd. But always make sure to view the car in the dark under or near street lights. You can see a car in the daylight and the paint looks great - view it under streetlights and you can spot a repainted panel a mile off. And it's also good to see the car when it's raining too, firstly it makes you check things you often overlook when buying dry, and also if it's raining nice and heavy, you can spot any leaks the door, sunroof and boot seals may have, and you can check to see if there's a windscreen leak.

just wondering what you expected for that price, did you get photos of each panel etc.

Jake I was just hoping a single owner car with just 68k miles would have been looked after by the owner, obviously not as it turned out. The photos that I saw did not show up the faults, wondering of they were older pictures. Tarun

What a great pity, although you seem to have the attitude that you want to make the best of the circumstances.

I am no expert in the kind of repairs you are looking to carry out, but wanted to wish you good luck ! When you have finished all the work, you will have such an attachment to the car, having given it such time and commitment - and the odd pound or two, of course :innocent:

Thanks Brendan, I will try to put in my best efforts. Tarun

Thanks in advance. Tarun

HI

Thanks in advance. Tarun

HI

You could be right. Mike

I don't have a link for it but this was the reply I got from William on 20th Feb 2015 does it ring any bells? Its the same car. Regards Mike

Maroon 200 LS40 with 68k

Mark and Mike, this is the same car. Thankfully no ash in the cabin. I will put up some before and after pictures and will do a detailed write up of the paperwork involved in importing. I don't know what would have been better, if I had seen the car, I would not have bothered driving it like Mike, and would have walked away, but now that I have driven it I have no other choice than to look past the bodywork and realise that everything else is in really good nick. Heated seats, memory function and steering are working fine now that the Battery is fully charged. AC works fine. Antenna still broken but the motor makes noise, so may a case of replacing the shaft. I am planning to repair the alloys myself, worst case scenario I will have to pay to get them done professionally anyways. Any recommendations for a good body shop in midlands? Tarun

Guys, this is second time in a few days that members have bought cars 'sight unseen' (Rudy got a 430 with a few problems) and been disappointed with the results.

As a group, we are spread around quite a bit and I'm sure that, if a member needed a car checked out, any one of us who was near the vehicle in question would happily give it a once-over.

The thought of laying out cash for a used car, 'sight unseen', makes my Scottish blood run cold...........

Tulpen that idea never came to my mind before, but many thanks, lesson learnt, mistake wont be repeated

let me get this right, you got a ls400 shipped to England for 1,500euro all in, and your complaining about dents etc?

sorry if i am a bit mistaken but i think its not a bad deal, for a car that era you dont expect a brand new lexus?

new or secondhand

Malc

I paid a deposit over the phone for this, in haste i would add, and took for my first viewing after work a week back when it was ****** and dark.

Sometimes you need to use gut instinct, I was looking for one of these for my mam for a bit and this looked a peach. I just got the seller to MOT it, and passed with no advisories.

20150314_175033.jpg
20150314_175022.jpg
20150314_175015.jpg
20150314_174958.jpg
20150314_175002.jpg

You are right Eric, btw very clean car. I think I would have easily paid more than £2500 for a single owner Mk4 LS400 with 68k miles. And if spend another £1500 on it the results will be quite rewarding (hopefully)

In my defence.....I did put up a post asking if anyone was near or in Luton to go have a look :)

Ruud your car looks lovely btw, hope everything gets fixed soon. Tarun

• Like 1

In getting a lux car like a LS400 I would be weary of getting one too cheap, I know full well the cost of getting it back in as good a condition as you expect, and I know Lexus owners are OCD on having almost everything right. :geek:

.... that's why we try to aim for getting one with full Lexus service history for a starter ... that way you know it's been well cared for during it's life.

Malc

I know how you feel - I bought my first LS on the strength of the test drive - and that everything worked - without looking too carefully underneath. It was only afterwards when I got it up on a ramp that I saw how rusty it was (from having been in a coastal location), and that the brake pipes were almost rusted through (despite its MoT). Worse still, I subsequently noticed a few anomalies with the fit of the trim, and evidence of previous accident damage (and yes, it was HPI clear). But it was a private sale and I hadn't actually paid that much for the car. So I stuck with it for about 6 years and eventually scrapped it.

In many ways a car that's been neglected is a safer bet than one that's been tinkered with or worked on by monkeys. No work is better than bad work and damage. At least you know what you're dealing with.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links