Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have been looking on the internet, alot and people keep going on about the ls400 having a magic carpet ride? hmmm i am not convinced mine has this, its a mk4 with 98k on the clock but i seem to think the earlier 400s have a smoother ride compared to the mk4, as pot holes and ridges can be felt through the car. I have been in bmws and they seems to take bumpy roads alot better than my 400.

I currently have a Mk2, with OEM dampers (relatively new at the front). I wouldn't describe the ride as "magic carpet", no.

The Mk1 before was much softer, but also more bouncy.

I've not been in a Mk4, so can't relate to that. But all versions with optional air-ride would, I imagine, be in a totally different class ride-wise.

The trend for towards "Europeanization" has done nothing for comfort IMO.

Matthew, I know what you mean as I also have a mk4. I think as the cars suspension has been developed by Lexus over the years, successive models became less forgiving over smaller bumps and ridges in the road in a quest for slightly more responsive handling in the corners. Strangely enough though, I find any large bumps and holes still seem to be soaked up quite nicely. Like you say, it's the small ridges that I can feel. My friends Merc has a similar ride to my LS except that the Lexus is quieter in the cabin with less engine and road noise. In my LS, on a smooth road surface the ride is serene. Of course, tyre pressures that are a bit too high will spoil the ride and exaggerate the problem.

I think the main problem in the UK is the continuing deterioration of the roads. I bring my 460 across regularly and it is the first thing I notice. Here, in Holland, I never use the Comfort setting on the suspension but in the UK I have it selected all the time.

• Like 1

My coil sprung Celsior does feel every imperfection but the other one running on air suspension is as you suspect as smooth as silk, many years ago I had a Citroen XM and it's as good as that.

Thanks for the input guys, maybe i am expecting too much as lets face it its on original shocks that are 17yrs old so they are bound to be worn, i have 33 psi all round by the way, if i put more in the ride becomes dare i say it crashy. there is a lot more road noise than i was expecting but i have put that down to the fulda tyres around. The best riding vehicle i have been in is a range rover, a friend of mine had one, it was quite old on a 98 but the ride was incredibly smooth definitely a magic carpet ride.

Thanks for the input guys, maybe i am expecting too much as lets face it its on original shocks that are 17yrs old so they are bound to be worn, i have 33 psi all round by the way, if i put more in the ride becomes dare i say it crashy. there is a lot more road noise than i was expecting but i have put that down to the fulda tyres around. The best riding vehicle i have been in is a range rover, a friend of mine had one, it was quite old on a 98 but the ride was incredibly smooth definitely a magic carpet ride.

Seem to remember the Range Rover is on air or at least the rear end is?

My old W124 or 95 e class was the most comfortabe car i had ever driven. I think it is the weight of the LS400. When you go over any pot holes you always feel it.

I changed everything on my mk3. My brother who drove it as well and other guests in passenger said it was extremely smooth and quiet. I never felt the "carpet ride" or understood it.

• Like 1

ive had the mark 3, 4 and now the 430 - the 430 has a harsher ride out of all - but cornering is alot better - now the 400 ride feels very wallowy to me

I'll second that. I've had a MK2 & 4 and the 430 is slightly harder, but takes the corners like a sports car!

Hey! Lay off the 'Magic Carpet' bit!

That's trademarked to Citroen!

You won't find a more 'magic' ride than a DS-you can whizz over 'sleeping policemen' easily.

Superb (unique!!) suspension, fat tyres.......

The LS400 is pretty fine though, I found.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links