Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I need a replacement daily drive

7 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

You have an ISF! How can you say that? Have you been drinking Guinness?

Fair point:)

I've never really liked the interiors of Japanese cars. Remind me of 1980s Matsui stereos. The IS-F digital clock still makes me feel the same.

In all fairness, Lexus are a step ahead of many Japanese manufacturers, but the Japanese cars I've been looking at on Autotrader......... :w00t:

I would gladly trade ergonomics for reliability. It is not always about cost, it is just that I used to get fed up with having to take cars back to the garage in between services. I have strayed away from Japanese derived cars but have suffered the consequences (BMW - autobox, Skoda - Turbo, Renault - cambelt failure, Volvo - big mistake! VW Golf head gasket). Possibly I have been lucky, but I have never had a Japanese derived lemon. 

• Like 2

I went with a Dodge Nitro. £7495. 59 plate with 44500 miles. Electric mirrors, Windows, drivers seat. Both front seats heated. Air-conditioning. 2.8 turbo diesel with plenty of torque.

The automatics can develop problems though so I got a 6 speed manual.

Lot of motor for yer money.

20170502_195139.jpg

• Like 2

Hey @Flytvr! I'd recommend a Lexus RX (any of the Hybrid versions that your budget can afford). I replaced my wife's RX400H last year with 178K on the clock (regular family trips to Devon over the years) and it was reliable and relatively powerful for easy overtakes but also quiet on the motorway. Stereo sound quality was good also. One with a sunroof and leather would not be too bad.  Don't use the Lexus recommended Eco tyres though - awful traction! Good luck! It'll be interesting to see what you go for!

• Like 3

@Dar I agree sir, the RX is hard beat but not the most sleek or pleasing on the eye. I can't say i ever really look forward to driving mine unless there's snow around but it takes whatever you throw at it and it never looks out of place. (Okay maybe not on the grid, unless it's a back up vehicle or towed the race car there....see never out of place) 

Convertible? If you're going to have one, it might as well be a reliable V8. Best get one with unusable back seats for when you want to exclude all but your favourite co-pilot.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-SC430-SPORTS-4-3-V8-CONVERTIBLE-/132155973964?hash=item1ec51c214c:g:rhUAAOSwc-tY7Jg9

@Mark6pot Like it, must admit, the Nitro isn't an obvious choice but I hired one on holiday in the Yukon, drove it on the Alaska Highway for hundreds of miles and it was so much fun.

Look guys @Flytvr is going to keep this thread going to time in memorial he's as decise  as Mrs Rat in a handbag shop when she's got her credit card, instead of mine.

Now we all know what he's up to here he's looking for the holy grail second car when we all know it has to be a Lexus, "I want low tax low price medium size cheap to to run convertible petrol automatic" 

So here we are this is what he needs so we can all have some peace, now I know what you are all thinking that because it's me I'm going to come up with some stupid, daft , off topic idiotic choice, that you would all think of such a thing 😏

Nope

IMG_0412.JPG.9542d19cc1a9317adf82007ecffd038a.JPG

Big Rat

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

That is just the ticket........ but is it in his price range? If he has Yorkshire or Scottish blood in him, he won't give a penny more!

@Spacewagon52 Got to be honest haven't really looked at prices but there has to a slightly high mileage one out there in good nick 🤔

🐀

1 minute ago, Big Rat said:

@Spacewagon52 Got to be honest haven't really looked at prices but there has to a slightly high mileage one out there in good nick 🤔

🐀

£9600 is the cheapest on Autotrader .... just wonder what he will find wrong with it? Gear Knob or number platenot straight? 

Looking forward to his reply!

5 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

£9600 is the cheapest on Autotrader .... just wonder what he will find wrong with it? Gear Knob or number platenot straight? 

Looking forward to his reply!

@Spacewagon52 David ever driven one of these, know anybody on forum whose got one ?

🐀

51 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@Spacewagon52 David ever driven one of these, know anybody on forum whose got one ?

🐀

I can see the attraction but why would @Flytvr have one with 2 cylinders missing when there are some very nice quick V8 models to choose from.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Neil E said:

I can see the attraction but why would @Flytvr have one with 2 cylinders missing when there are some very nice quick V8 models to choose from.

Doubt he'd run 2 V8's unless its one of those Ovlovs he likes 😏

🐀

17 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

There is at least one guy on here who has had one.

Yes, I had an IS250C convertible up until a couple of months ago when I p/x'd it for my RX.

DSC01037.JPG

DSC01039.JPG

• Like 3

I did see a Honda legend today, it caught my eye, also had an accord aerodeck in the past that I sold to a friends dad, it's still going n he reckons it's the best car he's had..........n he's a mechanic...........just keeps on going 

• Like 2

No rattles on mine !

The part that does rattle is the roof stowage "hammock" in the boot.  It's a plastic/vinyl fabric affair which lies horizontal (roof stowed) or vertical (max bootspace).  It locates in both positions with plastic protrusions that locate into sockets.  It's a £2.50 fix to stop it rattling.....wedge it in place with these....worked for me :smile:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Window-Wedge-White-Rubber-x-4-/122299417644

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Flytvr said:

They rattle and I'd  have to deal with Lexus  even more than I do now :(

I didn't see that one coming!

14 mile trip there ???? 14 mile trip back??? Have you considered an electric bike? Before you say "But when it rains...." buy a wetsuit!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links