Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Parallel Parking

Whenever I go out in my car, I obviously have to park it. Sometimes it is done by 'vertical parking' and sometimes it is 'parallel parking'.

When vertical parking I always make use of both the reversing camera and the dipping wing mirrors, which I think are a fantastic option to have available.

When parallel parking, I do it automatically, having driven for about 57years, it's second nature I suppose. I am wondering how many of you have made use of the 'parallel parking' option on the screen and if so, do you find it easy to use. I must admit to not having summoned up the courage to give it a go yet. I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

One thing that I saw in the manual, it mentions on more than one occasion, to ensure that the vehicle is totally stopped when turning the steering wheel. Now I have always been taught NEVER to turn the steering wheel whilst the vehicle is stationary, this will avoid undue strain being put on various parts. I have always ensured that my car is moving, however slowly when I am carrying out a manouvre.

Any thoughts on this?

One thought on 'automatic parking', my cousin had a VW Golf that had this option, he doesn't own it anymore but, whilst he had it, he never even gave it a try!!!

Not tried the parallel parking option. Having Kerbed both front alloys, I'm too paranoid now to do a parallel park.

The perpendicular parking using the reversing camera with guides is great though, very easy to judge and works every time.

I parallel park without the using the parallel parking option on my 450h. Havent kerbed a wheel yet (by parallel parking anyway).

Trick is to keep the car a foot away from the kerb, job done :)

I agree that the vertical-parking camera feature is both easy and reliable. Indeed, I seriously miss its presence in

other cars. On the other hand, the parallel-parking feature cumbersomely described (and somewhat alarmingly

illustrated) in the owner's manual requires a bit of practice before the sequence becomes second nature, although

the dipping mirrors alone are a sufficiently good quick aid to judging kerb distance. I must admit, however, that

I try to avoid parallel-parking in tight spaces if I possibly can because I worry that the 300h's low nose could make

it difficult for the vehicle in front to keep enough distance if it needs to reverse.

I digress a little but still parking.

Driving straight into a parking space marked with white lines on each side has any IS300h owner noticed the car is never straight. It might be me or the shape of the bonnet but I am always on a slight angle front to the right, yes it's probably me.

Driving straight into a parking space marked with white lines on each side has any IS300h owner noticed the car is never straight. It might be me or the shape of the bonnet but I am always on a slight angle front to the right, yes it's probably me.

Ever since I have had the 300h I notice that I do not always perfectly align the wheels to parallel lines as I aim

to do when driving straight into a marked parking space. The difference between back and front is never big,

maybe 10cm at the most and usually greater at the front, but it still occasionally surprises me. Initially I used

to attribute this to simple carelessness on my part but, over time, I have come to believe that the sweep of the

design of the door panels with its tapering volumes and contrasting colours (ivory/black in my case) has the

effect of deflecting the eye slightly away from centre in the course of any parking manoeuvre.

Ever since I have had the 300h I notice that I do not always perfectly align the wheels to parallel lines as I aim

to do when driving straight into a marked parking space. The difference between back and front is never big,

maybe 10cm at the most and usually greater at the front, but it still occasionally surprises me. Initially I used

to attribute this to simple carelessness on my part but, over time, I have come to believe that the sweep of the

design of the door panels with its tapering volumes and contrasting colours (ivory/black in my case) has the

effect of deflecting the eye slightly away from centre in the course of any parking manouevre.

That's an relief, I thought it was just me.

D

• Like 1

+1 , reason I've kerbed both front alloys is I find it hard to judge exactly where the front of the car is, due to the bonnet sloping away and the dips and swoops out to the wheel arches.

Reversing into spaces with the reversing camera I find it relatively easy to park squarely, lining up the various guidelines .

• 2 weeks later...

One thought on 'automatic parking', my cousin had a VW Golf that had this option, he doesn't own it anymore but, whilst he had it, he never even gave it a try!!!

A college of mine has a 2013 Mercedes E300 Diesel Hybrid AMG Sport Estate with an auto park option. He has tried it several times and each time it hasn't worked well at all. On one occasion he pulled up just past the space and the car attempted to parallel park on in a space on the other side of the road. The last time he ended up right across the road.

Re the car never being straight...

I have the same issue with my RX400h. I think it is related to the fact that the camera is not in the middle of the car and slightly offset...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links