Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cd-r's

Damer

Finally learning about burning my own CD's. But which are the best NOT to jam my CD changer? Mines an IS200s on an X plate. Already on the 3rd stereo so don't want to bu**er it again. :unsure:

I have an IS 200 SE (53 Plate)

I find that any make of CDR seems to work ok - barring the odd hiccup between tracks etc but mines a new un so I hope I don't have any probs

This also raises the question of whether the Standard Lexus CD Unit should be used to play CDR's - the owners manual says it "MAY not play them etc"

One further bit of advice - I have been burning CDR's for a while now - although you can use "computer/data" CDR's to record music on, I always use CDR's that are marked "audio/music use only" - they are a bit more expensive but I find are more reliable

from my experiance, i burn audio on any CDr, but only if disc is heavyweight, ie you cant see through the damn thing.. with these CDr's you can buy on a 50 spindle for example,, they are pretty see-through and dont get a nice 'deep' burn so the player's beam can pick it up properly.

Also i suggest burning audo at speeds of 2x upto 16x... any faster and this can lead to track 'skipping'.

One further bit of advice - I have been burning CDR's for a while now - although you can use "computer/data" CDR's to record music on, I always use CDR's that are marked "audio/music use only" - they are a bit more expensive but I find are more reliable

audio only CDR are no better quality. They are needed for consumer market CD recorders because they only work with them. Apparently part of the money of those CDRs goes to the record industry because of lost revenue from piracy which is why they are more expensive.

It's just a consumer con like DVD region encoding.

Don't buy a german CD-R writer. Mine was crud.

Now got a Chinese one (isn't everything) and it works a lot better. Never had problems burning. No wasted CDs.

As for the jamming, use an indelible marker not a label. Any CD should do just follow the instructions that come with the Lexus e.g. no sharp edges.

Hi

I've been burning my own CDR's for many years now and from my experience the better makes are the ones to use :

Sony

TDK

HP

Imation

Verbatim

Kodak's can be temperamental but may work OK - use the latest Silver/Gold and not the Gold only variety.

Avoid like the plague :

Lead Data

Traxdata

(IMHO)

Labels :

Some time ago there was an in depth report and the ones that came out top were HP and Neato which both use the same glue which does not damage the CDR surface.

Neither of these labels peeled at the edges under the extreme temperature and usage tests that were carried out.

As HP labels are now not available I have been using Neato labels for ages and they have perfromed as expected.

Another tip is to slow down the burn onto the CDR - When I had my old HP8100i burner I had to burn the CDR at 1x otherwise it would not play in the car. With my newer Plextor burner I have yet to burn at any speed that the car cannot play.

HTH

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links