Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I bought my current LS on eBay a few months back, I was lucky to get a low mileage car with full history, a years test and no major problems aside from a few bodywork issues for £600

I tried to replicate that last week with an impulse buy, again an eBay special. The description was a bit vague, the mot had run out, but the owner insisted it was in very good conditions and with pass with flying colours as there were "no faults"

I won it at £566, great I thought. A 93 mk1 with low miles, what could go wrong.....

I turned up with my trusty trailer in tow to find a complete and total utter shed.

Remember this car has "no faults"

Within five mins I found

An illegal tyre

Corroded front and rear discs

Bad rust on the off side front floor / sill

Dash display not working

Power steering inoperative

Power steering fluid all over the bottom engine cover

Sump leaking badly

Blowing egr pipe

Cat flanges rotten and blowing one side

Engine breathing badly and burning oil

Then the not fail able items

Leather cracked and frayed

Engine oil low

Central locking inoperative

Rotten off side rear arch

Every panel scratched

There was probably much more but I'd given up by this point, I pointed out that as the car was very obviously not as described I was legally relieving myself of the deal.

Thanked him for wasting my time and left. He messaged me a couple of times on the way back saying first he'd take £450 then another of £400. I declined

It goes to show that you can find very poor LS's that have been used and abused and only fit for scrap.

Of course the seller said it was his brothers car and didn't know much about it, only that he'd had it about five months and in that time never cleaned it once by the look of it.

Who in their right mind tries to sell a car advertised in very good condition with no faults but leaves it filthy and full of cobwebs.

It was on a housing estate with open parking spaces and looked like he had a few cars for sale, some jacked up with wheels missing.

• Like 1

Steve

It is a lottery on eBay and very difficult to get it right ,the extremes are that your awful experience was contrasted by my wonderful experience when I bought my Mark 4 three years ago. I got a mint perfect motor that was only on eBay because the owner wanted too much for it when he tried to sell it through the normal resale channels.

I got him down on price but still stole it and I had always stated I would never buy a car on eBay.

Steve

It is a lottery on Ebay and very difficult to get it right ,the extremes are that your awful experience was contrasted by my wonderful experience when I bought my Mark 4 three years ago. I got a mint perfect motor that was only on ebay because the owner wanted too much for it when he tried to sell it through the normal resale channels.

I got him down on price but still stole it and I had always stated I would never buy a car on Ebay.

Stop it! I still cry at missing that!

• Like 1

I've bought lots of cars on eBay, sometimes some corkers, sometimes some lemons.

I don't buy to sell on, they're usually to break or tide me over between projects.

I've never spent anymore than 2k on a car and there's usually at least a couple of "bangers" on my drive at any one time.

I couldn't imagine spending a big wad of cash on a car only for it to be worth next to nothing in six months.

I'm a huge fan of late 80s to late 90s cars. I'm comfortable working on them as I did my apprenticeship in 93 at a Mercedes main dealer.

Cars all look the same now due to safety restrictions. Remember when the Renault clio came out, now look at the latest one, big fat ugly blob.

I like 1990s cars. Apart from anything else, being tall, I can't see out of modern ones. I've recently bought a 1999 Accord V6 Coupe for running around over the winter (my smart cabrio leaks a bit and takes forever to demist when it's cold/damp - last winter there was ice on the inside of the windscreen). I know it's totally impractical but I like it and it has been well looked after. Mileage is 137,000 but it runs fine - though of course it's no Lexus. When my mechanic drove it yesterday his comment was, 'One of the last of the old type of cars - the ones that were made well.' It reminded him of a Toyota Camry - which is another car I've always fancied (obviously I'm not bothered about image/status).

Really pleased that you walked away. We know that this is widespread and infects everything from banking, politics to whatever. Cowboys, theives, shysters it was ever thus. Buyer beware is a sad indictment. Complain to the website: protect us all.

I have never wanted to buy a car on eBay. Prejudice, I know. But I remember a chap from another car forum I was on, say about a real dog of a car he had:- "I will just put it on the Bay ........ some idiot will bid for it." You can get a "bargain" but also you can buy a real dog. It depends on your technical knowledge and mechanical competency. I am useless, so I rely on others (garages!) to sort out problems - which can be very costly. I prefer to use AutoTrader, thgough I did get a "bargain" on Guntree once!

I would rather pay a little over the odds to get a good car, rather than try for a bargain lemon!

ahh camrys - that brings back memories - used to have 2 of them.

prior to that was the mark 2 carinas - absolutley bullet proof cars

I had a couple of camrys too, my better half has never forgiven me for 'trading up' to a Lexus is200d, with constant comparisons made regarding ride and noise....to which I happily agree. The is200d actually isnt that bad, but maybe I should have saved a lot of money and just got an older Lexus!

Thanks Mike. If the missing word is 'view', I agree with you. Just realised that the photo is a bit big, but if you click on it you can see the whole thing.

The Honda is almost as big as the Lexus (both built for the American market) and more difficult to park because you can't see the bonnet. Much bigger boot, though.

The original wheels were a bit scabby and I was going to have them refurbished. Then a new set (well, old but unused) came up on eBay and I won the bid. The centre caps are original and now look bad but you can't really see this in the photo.

Thanks Mike. If the missing word is 'view', I agree with you. Just realised that the photo is a bit big, but if you click on it you can see the whole thing.

The Honda is almost as big as the Lexus (both built for the American market) and more difficult to park because you can't see the bonnet. Much bigger boot, though.

Stupid me. Old age again. Mike.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links