Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Where Have The Sunroofs Gone

Not sure what got my brain asking this question, but it maybe with bright mornings we had a for a while I have taken to a bit of winter driving with the roof open.

But the other day I cast my eye around the estate where I work, and it seems like none of the cars have sunroofs.

The people in the office reckoned it was because we all have AC these days.

But the 400 has both.

I have never noticed whether the 430 & 460 are without sun roof, but if modern cars are all without, then that is another reason to stick with my 400 and because it is designed and built properly it does not seem to contribute to increased noise levels when closed.

• Like 1

I agree. I very rarely slide the roof back but I like the ventilation from having it tilted open, even when it's not sunny. It doesn't have to come from the A/C. Also, the lack of a sunroof makes modern cars seem even gloomier and more claustrophobic inside.

I know where they've gone......out of fashion. Probably as a way of keeping down manufacturing costs by not offering a sun roof. I occasionally use mine when it's sunny and I'm driving slowly around town or through my village. I love it. Having the choice of sunroof AND air conditioning (climate control) is typical of these cars. My old Rover Sterling had the same. To keep it working o.k. I've sprayed the sliding "works" with some grease lubricant.

On the IS250, if you had a sunroof and you hit a pothole, it can damage the roof and you'll get this unsightly bulge/dent in the corner of the sunroof.

I dont have a sunroof on mine, would be nice to have one only because I've never owned a car with it.

The Panoramic glass roof on the new lexus looks gorgeous!

Both the current GS and LS only have the sunroof as an option rather than standard equipment. Once it becomes an option you will find most people will do without it, they rarely use it and would rather have the extra headroom and the extra £1,000 in their pocket.

My 460 has a sun roof (or to give it the Lexus name, moon roof) and, although I don't open it that much, I do like to slide back the cover in the winter and let the light in.

I think the fact that the LS has both A/C and sun roof just shows how Lexus like to give us all the extras..........as part of the basic package.

Colin, I'll take your word for it that it is now an option - but I've never seen an LS without a sun roof.

I do believe that the Celsior did not have a sunroof as standard. Whatever - in my opinion the sunroof on the LS400 is one of the worst aspects of the car. A glass-topped sunroof is no good (especially when you're a bit thin on top) because you just get sunburn on the top of your head (even when in tilt mode with the shade open just a crack). Ford got it right with the solid sunroof that still afforded shade with the back edge tilted up. (I don't know what they're like now.)

Also, the LS sunroof is prone to collecting debris/dead leaves etc. between the shade and the glass. It's a hassle to keep clean, but it can be done with a miniature vacuum cleaner pipe and brush normally used for computer keyboards and suchlike.

i disagree,i like the glass sunroof,im more than a bit thin on top,but i have never got sunburnt,but that varies from person to person i enjoy having the roof open,and it lightens the interior with the blind retracted.In my job,i road test/drive new cars every day,and its true the majority do have sunroofs,but some still do.its the standard a/c on most cars thats spelling the end of the sunroof

I drive all these new cars everyday but the the 17 yr old ls400 never disappoints on the drive home,

Use my sunroof a lot, I love it, but then my first car was a Rover 2000 with a Webasto sunroof

I had one put in my Austin Ambassador and before it went to the Army for target practise I removed it (fifteen years or more ago) and sold it on eBay for 80 quid earlier this year. I did at one time contemplate putting it into my MR2 and even purchased a nibbler to do the job but lost the courage, and the MR2 had to go. Nice little sunroof with grill to diffuse sunlight or remove panel altogether.

• 2 weeks later...

My mk2 GS430 has a sun, ahem sorry, moonroof, I like the extra light it lets in. I like to tilt it for a bit of extra ventilation.

I wouldn't like a car without one which is a shame as more and more cars are coming without them, back in the 80s and 90s most cars had sunroofs, how times have changed!!! if I was going to spend £60,000 or more on a new car I wouldn't hesitate to spend the extra £1000 on the moonroof.

My old mkii Granada had a steel sunroof and even in the winter I would regularly drive on sunny days with it fully open and the heater on! I still do with the LS. I prefer glass as I always have the blind back, as so many have pointed out, it makes the car feel so much lighter. Even my wife, who has lots of hair compared to me (most people have more hair than me!!) loves the moon roof open when it's sunny. I always vowed never again to buy a car without a sunroof but I've still got my sunroof-less Land Cruiser after 10 years of ownership.

As a slight aside, when changing the oil in both vehicles this year, I couldn't help but notice that there is far more corrosion underneath my 16 year old Land Crusher compared to the 18 year old LS......

Mark.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links