Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Has anyone had any experience with adjusting or fixing the parking brake on a MKIV?

Mine appears to not work at all and with MOT coming up end of next month it would be nice to have it working again.

Rudy, I have a mk4 and servicing the parking brake is not as difficult as it first looks. In fact it's quite easy once you get going. I have a service manual CD and by using this I managed to lubricate and re-adjust the parking brake for each of the rear wheels. If you can find a good diagram on line you are halfway there. The trickiest part was initially finding the adjuster, (a semi-hidden  toothed wheel) and then using a long thin screwdriver to tighten/slacken each side. All the parts disassemble and reassemble like a Lexus should. You might need to use an impact screwdriver to get the two screws off that hold the disc to the hub though. Once that is off all is revealed. I'm pretty sure that earlier cars also have the same set up.

• Like 1

Just to add my tuppence worth, my parking brake is only just legal and the other day parked on a (not to steep about 10%) road it did not hold even though footbrake right on the floor.

My mechanic tells me this is due to some issues with corrosion around the back end of the cable run, and he said to leave well alone until it fails the MOT, as it could be all sorts that needs replacing.

So it may be simple as sorting out like Brian suggests, in the other hand it may be a bit more expensive to get done.

If your does not work at all suggests it is more than just a bit of adjustment needed.

Best of luck with MOT.  Mine has got through 4 MOTs with handbrake just above the minimum requirement.

..  I'd have thought actually parking ( engine off ) on a 1 in 10 and leaving the gearbox in P mode would have held the car ok ! ...  without using the foot brake and foot/handbrake 

Malc

Malc,

I agree, I just wanted to see how bad the brake was while waiting at some traffic lights.

I rarely use handbrake for temporary stops unless I have had to brake hard and want to get the pads off the disk ASAP to allow cooling of the disc. A bit over the top maybe!

When parked I use P and handbrake (old habits from driving manuals die hard).

......  i guess if the car moves when the gearbox is in P when it's parked on a slope then that damages the gearbox ? ! ? !

who knows  :zorro:

Malc

9 hours ago, Malc said:

......  i guess if the car moves when the gearbox is in P when it's parked on a slope then that damages the gearbox ? ! ? !

who knows  :zorro:

Malc

No when park is selected the parking pawl is released and this locks up the flywheel not the transmission, it would take an almightly force to shear off the pawl.

• Like 1

Can't remember for sure but think the series IV later models have automatic parking brake shoe adjusters and not the toothed wheel, I couldn't understand why there was no removeable rubber bung on the drum to poke the screwdriver inside to adjust the shoes.

Basically calliper off, calliper carrier off,drum off after removing the 2 countersunk retaining screws, clean everything with brake cleaner, check everything that should move does or free off, if the brakes shoes still have minimum lining thickness clean them with some coarse grade sandpaper to remove any glazing.

Lubricate all moving parts including where the shoes contact the backplate and pivot points.

If the adjuster is manual refit the drum then turn the adjuster until the drum is locked then back off the adjuster until the drum is free to turn again ( very fiddly through the hole, not easy to see or work out which way to flick it with a screwdriver).

Obviously make sure the parking brake is fully released and the front wheels are chocked ( there's one in the spare wheel well)

• Like 3

On 21 June 2016 at 11:26 AM, Cotswold Pete said:

Just to add my tuppence worth, my parking brake is only just legal and the other day parked on a (not to steep about 10%) road it did not hold even though footbrake right on the floor.

My mechanic tells me this is due to some issues with corrosion around the back end of the cable run, and he said to leave well alone until it fails the MOT, as it could be all sorts that needs replacing.

So it may be simple as sorting out like Brian suggests, in the other hand it may be a bit more expensive to get done.

If your does not work at all suggests it is more than just a bit of adjustment needed.

Best of luck with MOT.  Mine has got through 4 MOTs with handbrake just above the minimum requirement.

Agree with the main problem being corrosion where the cable goes into brakes the aluminium oxidises and clogs up the cable run and seizes the cable no amount of adjusting cogged wheel will help... New cable is your real only solution if this is the problem, this happened to my mk4 400 a number of years ago

I've had this problem with all my LS 400's and with my last LS430.  As we've often commented on the forum, the parking brake is designed to function, using it regularly can only help to keep things moving rather than seizing up. 

57 minutes ago, 39buss said:

LexusGS300028_zpsf29435a9.jpg

This is what happens when the parking brake is neglected. The cable siezes and the alloy housing breaks

At which point it's time to pray for a used part being available, as I'm guessing new would be unavailable or hideously expensive.

Think I'll strip the rear brakes next time I service mine, a good clean and lube can only help, as well as regular use of the parking brake.

58 minutes ago, mikeyv said:

At which point it's time to pray for a used part being available, as I'm guessing new would be unavailable or hideously expensive.

Think I'll strip the rear brakes next time I service mine, a good clean and lube can only help, as well as regular use of the parking brake.

Lexus was the only place I could get a replacement and it was just under £70 inc vat about 3/5 years ago. 

12 minutes ago, 39buss said:

Lexus was the only place I could get a replacement and it was just under £70 inc vat about 3/5 years ago. 

I have to admit,in your shoes, I'd have been mightily relieved at that price.

1 hour ago, 39buss said:

I must admit my mechanic implied if things were broken they would be more expensive than this, but to be honest if it cost £100 + labour it is worth having a working handbrake.

Maybe I'll get him to have a good poke about at next service.

Don't be alarmed when you remove the brake drum and see how thin the brake lining is.  That's normal as in theory they shouldn't be wearing/rubbing, they only make contact at stand still.

• Like 1

I've used Blueprint parts in the past without any problems. I think the quality is there. If it was me ,I'd go with it. I don't think it's a cheap Chinese pattern part. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links