Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I know my rear caliper is seized so attempting to loosen up with rubber mallet. My question is when attempting removal of  wheel and then  caliper do you leave the parking break on or off? I'm presuming it's left on but wanted to double check before I get busy with the mallet

Hitting a caliper with a mallet is not a fix in any form !   .....either the carrier sliders are sized or the caliper piston rusted in.....maybe even a refurbished caliper is the way to go.

58 minutes ago, is200 Newbie said:

The parking break operates the inner rear drum shoes so while the wheel will be secure to work on, the rear calipers themselves should be free to remove.

I thought as much but was double checking. I got the rubber mallet advice from your good self a few months ago. I'm guessing some gentle tapping might break any rust holding the slide pins? Any general advice when I give it another go? How long would you expect to try with the mallet before giving in?

Its a working part so don't go at it hell for leather - take the top pin out which is actually like a large bolt secured to the caliper - I think a size 14mm socket is required to unscrew it. I would be surprised if you have any issue in removing this slide pin as it is shrouded in a rubber boot.

The caliper should pivot on the lower slide pin to the point where when at its lowest point will slide out.

Squirt some WD40 under the bottom rubber boot - leave for a few minutes and then try moving it back and forward by using your hands. If theres no sign of it moving then try the mallet - if there are signs its moving then stick with it until it moves freely, applying more WD until its completely freed.. if no luck then with the mallet gently tap the caliper while trying to "wiggle" it back and forward with your other hand - you will get a feel for it if its starting to move. Add a bit of force until it moves. If its not budging then you could try two things: spray with WD40 and leave overnight and try again in the morning. Apply heat but I would do this as a very last resort but if doing this then make sure all the oil you put on it has been cleaned first before heating up.

Once you get it off it will need a very good clean - both pins will need cleaning from rust / dirt etc - the rubber boot from the top slide pin and the recess on the carrier from the bottom pin. Get them spotless.

Before re-fitting, make sure the piston is moving freely (open the brake fluid reservoir) and squeeze the piston in with either a clamp of some form or a pry bar just to ensure it is moving. Remember to close the brake fluid reservoir when done.Put the right grease in and monitor them every 6 months until you are confident they are clean enough and sliding properly.

Stick with it and it should come free. If one has seized then I would be inclined to check all the other pins on the calipers

Good advice - the only thing I'd add is that it's probably a good idea to replace the rubber boots (all round) . You can get them from here - might be cheaper than from a dealer (but check) - I think you'd need to buy caliper service kits, but if you call them they might be able to supply the boots (they're called bushes in Lexus-speak) alone:    http://brakeparts.co.uk

2 hours ago, johnatg said:

Good advice - the only thing I'd add is that it's probably a good idea to replace the rubber boots (all round) . You can get them from here - might be cheaper than from a dealer (but check) - I think you'd need to buy caliper service kits, but if you call them they might be able to supply the boots (they're called bushes in Lexus-speak) alone:    http://brakeparts.co.uk

There's some good prices on there - have saved the link for future

A few taps with a rubber mallet on the main body is not going to damage anything, thats what rubber mallets are for, to lessen the impact but impart some force.

I knocked seven bells out of mine and ended up huffing and puffing like a billy goat.

As mention by Newbie, use WD40 or whatever releasing fluid you prefer and when you see them moving you should be able to get a hold and move them by hand.

Very satisfying job if you get them free, lubricated and working. 

Good luck. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links