Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Some Good News To Make Me Smile

As I had an accident on my way to the 3rd of 4 IAM (Institute of Advanced Motoring) courses a few weeks ago, they kindly arranged for an instructor to come out and give me a "private" lesson, so that I am up to scratch for the forthcoming final lesson (and then the test).

So we did our observed run (about 1 1/2hours), and then parked up. Usual "how do you think you did" questions, which I answered.

He didn't say to me "Yes, I think you will pass the test" (whihc is taken with a class I police driver), but he said to me "I'd like you to become an Instructor for the IAM".

I was WELL CHUFFED !!!!!!!

:D:D

Also, on top of that, I'm doing skid-pan training this Saturday at the local police headquarters (as part of the IAM, but not for the test or anything).

So....anyway, just thought I'd share that all with you. In times of gloom (stuff not going right at the moment) it was something to make me smile!!!

Hurrah! :driving:

Hey - congratulations - that is certainly something to be well proud of - great stuff.

Umm - new member classification due here ?

Sounds like you're a good driver then mate - I could do with some of those courses :D

What exactly is it you get when you've passed this then - do you get a discount on insurance like PassPlus??

How much of an advantage (insurance wise) is an IAM Cert?

Thanks everyone!! I'm not there yet..I haven't actually passed the normal IAM yet. I have my final course this Sunday, and then the test will be just a couple of weeks after that.

Once I've done that though, it will take a couple of months to learn the teaching methods of the IAM....and then I'm there! IT just seemed strange that they asked me during my actual observed runs!!

I must be doing something right I guess!!!

Bobski......

the IAM cert's advantages differs through different insurers. Some don't even recognise it......others can give up to 30%. When you pass the test they give you a list of the insurers that recognise it to it's full potential, and so of course come renewal time you start by ringing them!!

Thanks again for yall your comments guys..... :driving::driving:

What exactly is it you get when you've passed this then - do you get a discount on insurance like PassPlus??

The whole course costs just £80 (including test fee, books, IAM membership etc. etc).

Differnet regions do it differently, but the essence is the same. Take a look at their website www.iam.org.uk.

The thing which they stress most is that yes, you do get cheaper insurance etc, but you also get to a far higher standard of driving. Thus, fewer accidents etc. They teach you based on "Roadcraft", which is the police driver's handbook. You can buy it from anywhere - amazon.co.uk for example is where I got my copy.

The fundamental teaching is hazard awareness. An "advanced" driver should be able to know when someone's going to pull out, when they're going to stop. Next time you're on a motorway....try it. You should be able to pin point exactly what everycar in front of you is going to do.....pull in, pull out, accelerate, slow.....indicate, not indicate. It's this which makes you a safer driver.

The IAM website gives you a good idea of all this, and I highly recommend the course - it not only refreshes your brain on highway code etc, but also teaches you a far more complete way of driving.

And no....I'm not on commission!!! hehe

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links