Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2008 IS250 Boot Strut Part Number?

29 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I found it strange that cheaper NX has both closing and opening boot and more expensive RC doesn't.

I think you know the reason why Linas. Tailgates are more likely to be powered compared to a saloon/coupe boot. They are both heavier and you need to reach higher to close which can make then difficult to operate for people of a small frame. You also have the ability, on a Lexus at least, to set the maximum opening height so it doesn't hit a low ceiling such as in a garage - something not possibly on a manually operated one.

I'm not sure anyone has struggled to open/close the boot on their RC. I have one on my GS - it boarders on being embarrassing when using it, I'm not so lazy that I can't just press it down myself.

My point was that cheaper car is better equipped than more expensive one - that is all, and boot closing is just one of many examples (RC generally very poorly equipped for price compared to NX). I agree with your points regarding practical reason why SUV tailgates are more likely to have it than car boot.

Now when it comes to closing boot on RC - I do struggle, not because I lack power to close it, but because of how awkward it is. Springs are rather powerful, the handle is very deep under the boot lid, car is low  - so not only I have to slam boot with a lot of force whilst bending over it, but I need to be very quick to pull my hand out if I don't want to lose it... finally boot being slammed so hard doesn't latch half of the time and springs back in your face... so I kind of need to have another hand prepared to stop it in case of that.

The alternative is not to use the handle inside, but that means you have to press it on the outside - there are again many issue with that - the boot might be wet or dirty. And it goes both ways - I don't want to make my hands wet or dirty and neither I want to scratch the boot if it is dirty or leave fingerprints if it is clean.

It is very annoying and kind of dangerous... I certainly would not feel embarrassed just using the button to close it and considering this is technically competitor to E-Class and 4-Series Coupes which both have it... I consider that for the car of it's class RC to be poor and below the standard. 

17 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

It is very annoying and kind of dangerous... I certainly would not feel embarrassed just using the button to close it and considering this is technically competitor to E-Class and 4-Series Coupes which both have it... I consider that for the car of it's class RC to be poor and below the standard. 

Have you ever thought of selling your Lexus Linas? It's easy to get the impression that you're not entirely happy with it....

Blimey Linas I'm kinda surprised you're selling your RC200t. Apart from an issue with the boot lid what other reasons are you getting rid? What you thinking of getting to replace it?

16 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

What you thinking of getting to replace it?

Apart from an issue with the boot lid what other reasons are you getting rid?

I certainly don't know the answer to that and it is a little bit scary - what I know for sure is that it will be very difficult to replace it.

In general I just don't need a car at all. I barely done 3k miles last year and less than 400 since October 2020. Not to continue off-topic I suggest you check the thread where I have outlined many issues in more detail:

2 hours ago, Linas.P said:

My point was that cheaper car is better equipped than more expensive one - that is all, and boot closing is just one of many examples (RC generally very poorly equipped for price compared to NX).

It does depend on what year we are talking about but for MY2020 all RCs have the electrically operated boot, and the standard grade NX only gets it with the option pack. The RCs all have Sat Nav, the base NX does not. The RCs all have Smart entry, the base NX does not.

You need to add the premium pack to get those which puts it basically at the same price as the base grade RC, and the RC still has a better audio system and power adjustable steering column.

I think it is fair to say each model's specification is tailored to the market segment in which it is competing, rather than being directly comparable to other Lexus vehicles in the range.

I am comparing F-Sport to F-Sport, NX is like for like £1000 cheaper, yet it almost always had better equipment. Indeed RC was not available in lower grades (200t in particular only had Premier and F-Sport). And I don't know what you mean by RC "still having better audio system" - standard system on RC is same as one in IS - just most awful 6 speaker system ever fitted to modern car - are you saying NX has even worse system? or you saying that ML in RC is better than ML in NX (in which case you right)? Further, NX has more options available e.g. 360 degree camera, panoramic sunroof or glass roof and more... which are not even options in RC.

Lexus adding boot closing in face-lift just proves my point that this is the feature which would be expected in the segment and class of the car. If it would make no sense, then they would not add it.. right?

1 minute ago, ColinBarber said:

Not in MY2020, all have the 10 speaker Pioneer system.

Not sure what is relevance here - ok FL has dropped awful 6 speaker stereo. Cool.

Which means that my comment is still true for all cars before 2020? Does NX still has 6-speaker audio for MY2020?   

28 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Does NX still has 6-speaker audio for MY2020?   

Yes and no 😉. The NX has always had an 8-speaker audio system (2 tweeters in the rear doors in addition to the 6 found in the IS). Originally it was a Fujitsu-Ten head unit. With the facelift it is now a Pioneer head unit but still without an external amp and no sub, so yes comparable to the IS/RC 6-speaker system.

Ok... so basically NX always had better audio than RC and only in RC's final year Lexus has terrible 6-speaker system (which is common for "final/limited edition cars").

In which case would you now agree that NX is generally better equipped despite being cheaper car... with exception of MY2020 RC FL?

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

In which case would you now agree that NX is generally better equipped despite being cheaper car

There are differences in spec, some more favourable to the RC and others to the NX.

In 2016 for example the RC300h and NX300h F-Sports were identically priced at £ 37.5k. The NX had a power boot and wireless charging pad, but the RC had ventilated seats, memory settings for seat/mirrors, dimming side mirrors and 19" wheels. I'd say the the RC was better spec'd, partly because the cost to manufacture the NX is higher due to more materials needed (steel and paint etc), an extra electric motor and rear differential so they couldn't put in as much tech to get to the same price.

Compared to the IS though the RC was poor value at £5k more expensive. That seems to be the way for coupes. Either the cost for R&D and tooling is amortised over less vehicle sales and so a greater value added per vehicle, or the people that want a coupe are willing to pay extra - probably a bit of both.

There's a lot more to it than features - or toys, most of which actually add little to the value of a car but can affect the price quite substantially. You can't compare a sports coupe with  a SUV/Crossover in any meaningful way - and the sticker price of a car depends on what the manufacturer can get for it (or sell enough of at a price point), not on how much it costs to build or what features it has.

And there will be substantial differences in the basic build cost anyway - the NX is a front wheel drive vehicle (F-sport version anyway) - (some have 4 wheel drive but the rear drive is a separate electric ad-on affair). The RC isn't.

Chalk and cheese comes to mind.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, johnatg said:

There's a lot more to it than features - or toys, most of which actually add little to the value of a car but can affect the price quite substantially. You can't compare a sports coupe with  a SUV/Crossover in any meaningful way - and the sticker price of a car depends on what the manufacturer can get for it (or sell enough of at a price point), not on how much it costs to build or what features it has.

And there will be substantial differences in the basic build cost anyway - the NX is a front wheel drive vehicle (F-sport version anyway) - (some have 4 wheel drive but the rear drive is a separate electric ad-on affair). The RC isn't.

Chalk and cheese comes to mind.

NX F-sport is "AWD"-ish. 200t is real AWD, and hybrid as you say just has separate electric motors. Not sure if there was 2WD version later on and I am not expert in NX so I don't know, but for 2016 it is listed as AWD.

I appreciate the difference, but exclusion of electric boot closing/opening on RC is what triggers me 😁 It is a feature which would have been very nice indeed and certainly expected for it's class.

Regarding how the bootlid of a car opens. Personally speaking I think it's a waste of time,effort,design,manufacture of and automatically opening bootlid. Yes I can see one purpose and one only. A mother holding a baby in one arm and bags of shopping in her other hand. Ford have that solution with a sensor under the rear bumper and a waggle of the foot will open the boot.

For everybody else it's a function not needed. Also I'm not getting the point of comparing toys/gadgets you get in a sporty coupe car and a SUV.

I am sure leg wiggling thing was first introduced on S-Class and then picked-up be several German manufacturers before becoming quite standard on mid-range cars like Fords, Kias and Hyundais.

Point of comparing the gadgets is that boot on RC is pain to close without touching outside of it and second point is that another car made by same manufacturer which costs the same has this function and RC doesn't/ and tertiary point is that clearly this was an issue, because Lexus added it in FL RC. So there are multiple comparisons which could be made regarding this point.

Ohh.. and almost forgotten - RC competitors as well has it, or at least gives option to spec the car with it. So it is strange that Lexus being "ultimate luxury brand" doesn't even offer it.

22 hours ago, Linas.P said:

I certainly don't know the answer to that and it is a little bit scary - what I know for sure is that it will be very difficult to replace it.

In general I just don't need a car at all. I barely done 3k miles last year and less than 400 since October 2020. Not to continue off-topic I suggest you check the thread where I have outlined many issues in more detail:

But if you sell, does that mean you will be leaving us?😮☹️

7 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

I think there are some on here that certainly would disagree, but for me it would be sad times ☹️

No worriers, I doubt I would find more friendly and welcoming forum on the internet, so I will stick around.

As well if you PM me then this comes as an e-mail and even if I am not actively looking to the forum I could still be reached.

• Like 1

Just to say, thanks for this thread!

I just ordered some from SGS.

It took me forever to get around to doing this. I even emailed them months ago asking what would fit for my car, and they replied back asking me to send a serial number. I just went to try and find that, but indeed, just saw the Japanese caution sticker someone else mentioned. But thanks to this thread, I knew to order their "2005 IS300" model. I'm gonna update them to fix their website..... 

IMG_7282.HEIC IMG_7280.HEIC IMG_7279.HEIC IMG_7272.HEIC

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

I’m struggling to find the part number for my IS250 Cabriolet boot struts. The existing ones only have Japanese writing on.

Any help, much appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links