Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi guys,

I currently own a 1999 LS400, I am very seriously considering getting a GS450h. It will likely be a model from around 2006-2007.

I just wanted to know what people's general thoughts are about these cars and also when viewing/test driving one, are there any particular things to check for? What are the common issues with these cars etc?

Many thanks for any help and input, Martin.

Hi

The GS450h is a very well equipped car - on par with the LS430 in terms of toys including keyless entry/start and radar cruise on selected models. However it does have a few common faults - perhaps some due to age.

1) Calipers are known to sieze

2) Shock absorbers are thought to be under-rated and tend to start leaking - perhaps as early as 50K miles - the only replacement available is the dealer part

3) At around 100k the hybrid batteries start to fail - this is normally one or two cells rather than the whole Battery - the lexus dealer will only replace the whole Battery however a there are a few companies available who will re-condition yur Battery pack for around £700 - £800

4) Some of the cars tend to suffer from creaking dashes - there is no real solution for this

5) There has been some incidents of corroded exhausts - at least one members silencer dropped off.

6) There has been a handful of incidents particularly on higher mileage cars (circa 150k) of failed hybrid pumps - This is normally down to a couple of bearings and can be fixed cheapily if you are handy with spanners - there is a full right up on this site ny member Hayne

I have been thinking about the gs450h for a while but cannot fully justify why i would want one compared to my 430.

If you decide to go for one - do all the usual checks - at the minimum I would say I would want a Lexus Hybrid Health Check Certificate - this guarantees the hybrid components for a year. If you can get one which has had the failed components replaced then that is even better. there is atleast one on AT which has had the Hybrid batteries replaced at Lexus for £3k - I would say if the rest of the car is ok then that would be a good proposition.

If you buy from am dealer - you can take it to lexus and get a full inspection done - if there is any failing parts you can go back to the selling dealer and ask him to rectify.

If you buy one which is less than 10 years old and under 100k miles (i stand corrected) you can buy a 2 year Lexus extended warranty for £995 which covers pretty much everything on the car.

I look on AT everyday - these cars are slow movers - so you have an advantage

I hope this is informative and good luck with your search

Now tell me do you still want one and why??lol

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cruisermark said:

If you buy one which is less than 10 years old and under 100k miles (i stand corrected) you can buy a 2 year Lexus extended warranty for £995 which covers pretty much everything on the car.

140k miles and £1095 :wink3::smile:

• Like 1

The GS450h is a great car. However, it is one of the more unreliable vehicles in the Lexus lineup after the IS220d and common issues do exist.

Of course, its probably still more reliable than a German car from the same era but remember that these cars have expensive parts and they aren't as easy to find at a broker.

Some owners have had hybrid traction Battery issues with them, whereas its virtually unheard of in terms of the IS, CT or RX hybrids. For that reason Id probably recommend a petrol only GS300 instead.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links