Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Really Not Impressed.

Stu

i've been looking for a property to rent near to where i work for about 3 months now, for me and the missus, as we are now wanting to move in together. I have rung up i don't know how many letting agents, and answered i don't know how many poxy questions about me and her, and i have finally reached boiling point.

Do you smoke? Yes we do, but if it's a no smoking property, we will respect that.

Do you have any pets? Yes, a parrot, not exactly the messiest creature.

How old are you? i'm 23, she's 22.

What do you do for a living? both in private healthcare.

Sorry, you are not suitable to rent this property because: (one of the following)

a ) you are a smoker

b ) you have a pet

c ) you are too young

d ) all of the above

:tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk:

I have had my fill of it all, of course i'm young, thats why i want to RENT a property, because i can't buy one!

Poxy estate agents, i hate their smug attitude, and i am seriously thinking of complaining on the grounds of discrimination. :angry:

Haaaaaaaaa, i feel better for getting that off my chest!

Stu :driving:

used to be in the same situation

i smoked, i had a cat and i was young and worked self employed.

i got fed up so in the end i gave them what they wanted to hear... i had some very nice flats too! ;)

used to be in the same situation

i smoked, i had a cat and i was young and worked self employed.

i got fed up so in the end i gave them what they wanted to hear... i had some very nice flats too! ;)

I don't like the idea of lying tho, or at least twisting the truth a bit, coz you can get caught out.

Just makes me mad that young people are all discriminated against in everything, like car insurance, renting houses, need i go on?

I know i'm not exactly a teenager anymore, but i shouldn't have this problem!

:shutit: :shutit: :shutit: :shutit: :shutit: :shutit: :shutit: :shutit: :shutit: :shutit:

Thats really bad..

I'm single (and okay, getting on a bit, but not 30 yet), and never had a problem renting anywhere.

Yes im a smoker, but i quit just before i fill in the form, and dont start again until after i've singed my name...

So when i sign the contract, i am a no smoker, but due to stresses in life, started again :whistling:

Of course, i never smoke in the house.

well how bout this scenario.

dont smoke.. ooopps oh the pressure of work.my life etc i have just started to smoke.. oh what a coincidence onthe same day as i moved in.

no pets.. why thank you mum, dad, uncle, brother, that is a most unusual house warming present.

actually where 22,23 and a half..

seriously though, unless it says in the contract no pets or smoking in the house then i dont see what business it is of theres..

If I was renting a house out I wouldn't want it stinking of smoke when I came to re-occupy it or sell it on. It'd only rent it out to non-smokers and I'd be pretty mad if someone lied to me. Just my 2p. :)

yes i agree, but what Stu was saying is that he would RESPECT that wish. so i take that to mean they wont be smoking in the house..

therefore the estate agent, landlord should only stipulate there is no smoking in the house, and if at the end of the renting period the place looks. smells of smoke then that comes out of the deposit.

i mean, what if your freinds smoke, have you to assk permission b4 smokers can come round..

i was in the same boat 3 years ago when i was trying to rent a house in sale, got there in the end, before that i rented a nice pad in tamworth privately and had the best landlord ever. may be worth considering a private rent, will be cheaper too.

i think for what you have to pay out for rent though you may as well buy.

I don't know about Stu, but the stumbling block to that one is usually the deposit you need to buy a place. My brother and his girlfriend want to move in together and have just found that one out! They're looking to rent now.

I don't know about Stu, but the stumbling block to that one is usually the deposit you need to buy a place. My brother and his girlfriend want to move in together and have just found that one out! They're looking to rent now.

there's quite a few places doing 100% mortgages with decent rates. i had the option of a graduate mortgage or several other mortgages without a deposit. northern rock are very good, definitely worth considering. i'm paying less for my mortgage than what i was renting and i had no deposit.

As a property tycoon (OK, I've got one flat so far!), can I put the landlords side of the arguement forward...

1) I don't really want to let to a smoker either - apart from the smell, and mess it makes on the paint, etc, there is also the safety aspect too. My flat is furnished to a fairly high standard and my tenants security deposit wouldn't even cover the cost of replacing the 3 piece suite - sure insurance would, but insurance doesn't cover loss of income while waiting the 6 weeks to get a new one.

2) I don't allow pets for the same reason as above.

3) Single or Married, Gay, Unmarried - that doesn't bother me.

4) Age - not a concern either - I take up referees from work, personal, and bank before letting.

I can sympathise with you, but I would urge you not to tell fibs on your application - if the landlord or agent finds out - you will be asked to leave and you will lose your deposit and forfeit the rest of that months rent.

bit bad of me suggesting people to lie... i dont normally lie..

but to get in a place then the truth was a lil twisted.

When i used to smoke i used to smoke outside or just in the kitchen.. even if i was allowed to smoke.. i hated the smell in the lounge...

as for the cat.. well she wrecks quite alot... so had to make sure it was unfirnished.

As a property tycoon (OK, I've got one flat so far!), can I put the landlords side of the arguement forward...

1) I don't really want to let to a smoker either - apart from the smell, and mess it makes on the paint, etc, there is also the safety aspect too. My flat is furnished to a fairly high standard and my tenants security deposit wouldn't even cover the cost of replacing the 3 piece suite - sure insurance would, but insurance doesn't cover loss of income while waiting the 6 weeks to get a new one.

2) I don't allow pets for the same reason as above.

3) Single or Married, Gay, Unmarried - that doesn't bother me.

4) Age - not a concern either - I take up referees from work, personal, and bank before letting.

I can sympathise with you, but I would urge you not to tell fibs on your application - if the landlord or agent finds out - you will be asked to leave and you will lose your deposit and forfeit the rest of that months rent.

hmmm that all depends if the person pays the last months rent doesnt it.

I have rented about 15 flats in my younger years... I once found the landlord in my flat.. woke up and found him in the lounge...

we fell out and he did not get his rent... meaning the deposit was nicely paid back.

I would not wanna seroiusly ***** somone off around my property...

there was a flat up the road from me who had students... they were told to leave and they set the place alight and legged it! Whether they were done for arson or not.. thats a bit stressfull for the landlord.

guess so.. wouldnt matter to me... everything i do is online

property is still a rip here IMO!

i agree mate, although not complaining cos the house i bought 2 years ago has increased by £60k, making my recent remortgage rather pleasurable :)

Well, it seems that the good lord finallr answered my prayers!

I was on my way top colleege just after posting this thread, and bang, there was a house for rent, and the agents was next door but one to the college, i went in, asked about it, and i have a viewing tomorrow evening! I am going to lie about the smoking thing, as i have no intention of smoking in the house, and the pet i am going to forget about until after we have moved in (she isn't a messy parrot, so whats the harm?!).

Finally, seems i must have rattled someones cage with it, and got the result i hoped to get! :)

But as for buying, i earn less than 20k a year, and you cant buy a decent 1 bedroom house round here for less than 100k, so even with a deposit, i stand no chance of affording the mortgage.

and the pet i am going to forget about until after we have moved in (she isn't a messy parrot, so whats the harm?!).

Not sure what the housing laws are in England, but up here, a landlord has the right to inspect his/her property provided reasonable notice is given.

You might have to quickly put your bird in your lex if your landlord wants to have a look around! :D :whistling:

I think TDIPLC is correct, there must be a market for this kind of tennacy agreement! mmmmmmm :whistling:

Good luck with your flat - remember your landlord can also be your best friend too! You might need a reference from him if you move to another property.

and the pet i am going to forget about until after we have moved in (she isn't a messy parrot, so whats the harm?!).

remember your landlord can also be your best friend too! You might need a reference from him if you move to another property.

hmmm i would use my mate...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links