Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Would you buy an X press F car?

Would you buy an X press F car? Anonymous poll  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy an X press F car

• Yes, absoluteyl
    • No - no way!
    • I'd think long and hard about it

Lots of arguments regarding just how reliable F cars are, but with your very own hard earned money, would you buy an F car that was once a press car?

This is an anonymous poll.

• Thanks 1

I did. Although I was told it wasn't tracked, just used on the road.

My previous car, an IS300h, was also a Toyota press car. The only issues I had with that were it was one of the first ones to be manufactured and so had a couple of minor issues that TSBs were issued for and all sorted under warranty.

My GS is a 2016 model so any issues found in the first 2015 models would have been resolved.

There are so few Fs about you almost don't have a choice, Press and demonstrator vehicles seem to account for a lot of the ones for sale - more so for the GS compared to RC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not unless it was substantially lower priced compared to rival cars that were not press cars. If nothing else there will always be the perception it have been abused,even if it has been well maintained by Lexus. As a result is will be less desirable than non press cars and harder to sell.

• Thanks 1

This brings us to a debate that's going on in the trade right now.

If you buy a car from a dealer that turns out to have a past history that they didn't declare, or know about, are you entitled to return it? Or claim compensation if you've had it a while.

It covers dealers selling ex hire cars to the public and not declaring it.

The main problem has been bought to light because the dealers advertise these cars as one owner where in real life the car's had different drivers.

I'm not sure how the debate is going, or what trading standards view is on it.

It also covers any info about a car that a dealer doesn't declare at the point of sale, the sort of info that may have affected your decision whether or not you'd have bought the car. Ie it being an Avis or Hertz rental car for an example. Or maybe a former press car?

Anyone in the know?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If bought for the owning dealer (Lexus bought from Lexus) they should be liable for the compensation of some sort as the car will be less desirable to many people and so less valuable. If bought from any other garage they can’t possible be held accountable as they wouldn’t know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure there must be some recourse, and the dealer has some against the person who sold it to them as they ask you about previous accidents, use of taxi etc. when trading in a vehicle.

The Lexus dealers I've dealt with certainly didn't try and hide the fact that they were selling a press vehicle. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I’ll be having the conversation with the dealer on Wednesday. I actually asked if the car had been a track or press car and was assured it wasn’t. I’ve been stung with this sort of thing before. Years ago I bought a MB R-class and was told it was a directors car. Only to notice when it rained water droplets formed on the windows where decals had been stuck...they spelt out MB ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE - suffice to say I got my money back.  As it’s not my first rodeo I sent a letter to the dealer today outlining the aspects of everything he said and the details of our agreement - length of warranty, mileage, servicing that they are doing, time and place of delivery, assurance he gave me about press/track car. I am still of the mind that it’s a good car and it will be even better once reduced to reflect this omission...unless others tell me I’m wrong. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tomRCFcarbon said:

So I’ll be having the conversation with the dealer on Wednesday. I actually asked if the car had been a track or press car and was assured it wasn’t. I’ve been stung with this sort of thing before. Years ago I bought a MB R-class and was told it was a directors car. Only to notice when it rained water droplets formed on the windows where decals had been stuck...they spelt out MB ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE - suffice to say I got my money back.  As it’s not my first rodeo I sent a letter to the dealer today outlining the aspects of everything he said and the details of our agreement - length of warranty, mileage, servicing that they are doing, time and place of delivery, assurance he gave me about press/track car. I am still of the mind that it’s a good car and it will be even better once reduced to reflect this omission...unless others tell me I’m wrong. 

What a coincidence that this thread was started tonight. Glad you found it useful.

• Thanks 1

To all this is the very reason I collate all the information I can find on ALL the ‘F’ cars. They are salesman they will tell us anything business is business, but I am a great believer in self protectionism especially at an early stage.

Maybe there are some who are not particularly bothered about the cars past as long as it’s got a warranty and that’s fine but it’s later on in a cars life it can begin to  tell.

The sales guys many simply lie for a living it’s up to us to find out about what we are buying and Not rely entirely on what they tell us, my data is a hobby for me as many know but it does have a serious side at times.

Big Rat

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, tomRCFcarbon said:

@tomRCFcarbonSent you a pm with my mobile ring me 👍

🐀

46 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

Set aside a few hours for that call

And a couple of grand, every time I speak to him I end up buying something :laugh: Pipes, hotel rooms, extensions, time share

48 minutes ago, Comedian said:

And a couple of grand, every time I speak to him I end up buying something :laugh: Pipes, hotel rooms, extensions, time share

...far too much information there but thanks...:wink3:

• Haha 3

I've got one of them, 2008 isf with 114850 miles on It.

I looked into the history of the car and could not find any proof of track use in the first year of it's life when it was owned by the car magazine company.

There review focused more on family use, day to day stuff versus there own Ford focus lol

It's had 6 owners since then and that was more worrying for me, but the car had never missed a service, mot history doesn't show any abuse.

I will have owned it for 2 years come August, never had a issue apart from replacing brakes, Battery, oil, coolant all by myself as this car will be a keeper.

Paul "Big Rat" you have my permission to share openly on this forum any info or videos of my car you have,  you probably know more than myself. It has had various registered number plates to it also over its life.

20170830_105755.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I have one, my current GSf was a press car and owned by a certain motoring journalist for 7 months, its under warranty and probably always will be during its time with me, as anyone that knows me will probably agree that my cars don't have an easy life when they are out, although they are well maintained, this is my 5th Lexus and I have never had one single issue with any of them. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Mark G said:

I have one, my current GSf was a press car and owned by a certain motoring journalist for 7 months, its under warranty and probably always will be during its time with me, as anyone that knows me will probably agree that my cars don't have an easy life when they are out, although they are well maintained, this is my 5th Lexus and I have never had one single issue with any of them. 

Your car killed several fluffy animals on the Grand Tour. I’m not impressed.

I notice you are not divulging all of the owners however. What about the last set - Mr & Mrs Smith (average age 86)? I regularly saw your car parked outside the mobility shop! 😂

THIS IS A TRUE STORY

1 minute ago, Flytvr said:

Your car killed several fluffy animals on the Grand Tour. I’m not impressed.

I notice you are not divulging all of the owners however. What about the last set - Mr & Mrs Smith (average age 86)? I regularly saw your car parked outside the mobility shop! 😂

THIS IS A TRUE STORY

OK OK, Ownership as follows:

1. Lexus Press Car

2. Jeremy Clarkson

3. Mr Smith, age as stated above, he realised after 3 weeks he couldn't get out of the car............................

4. Me

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mark G said:

OK OK, Ownership as follows:

1. Lexus Press Car

2. Jeremy Clarkson

3. Mr Smith, age as stated above, he realised after 3 weeks he couldn't get out of the car............................

4. Me

Rebecca?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Tfp said:

This brings us to a debate that's going on in the trade right now.

If you buy a car from a dealer that turns out to have a past history that they didn't declare, or know about, are you entitled to return it? Or claim compensation if you've had it a while.

It covers dealers selling ex hire cars to the public and not declaring it.

The main problem has been bought to light because the dealers advertise these cars as one owner where in real life the car's had different drivers.

I'm not sure how the debate is going, or what trading standards view is on it.

It also covers any info about a car that a dealer doesn't declare at the point of sale, the sort of info that may have affected your decision whether or not you'd have bought the car. Ie it being an Avis or Hertz rental car for an example. Or maybe a former press car?

Anyone in the know?

Jumping back up this thread a bit but if the car was a rental with 'Hurts' for example then it probably won't state 'Hertz' on the V5 and it will probably show a name of a holding company like 'Allianz' or something!

paul m.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

Rebecca?

She never actually owned it, drove it for The Telegraph I think, very nice.................

• Like 1

I think as in Toms case it’s good to know if the car ..... “ Has only been driven by one manager and been parked up for 2 and half years”

” No sir never been a Press or magazine feature car”

Bit like this one really.......

FE89EBC2-DF8F-4552-80C8-23BF4B3533F1.jpeg.d6ad28c73fa3e9f83863a02aa14beb19.jpeg

Big Rat

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Big Rat said:

I think as in Toms case it’s good to know if the car ..... “ Has only been driven by one manager and been parked up for 2 and half years”

” No sir never been a Press or magazine feature car”

Bit like this one really.......

FE89EBC2-DF8F-4552-80C8-23BF4B3533F1.jpeg.d6ad28c73fa3e9f83863a02aa14beb19.jpeg

Big Rat

I love that image, but it does annoy me as well. Why would a GT car need to be put through this. It’s not a class B rally car

• Like 1

I think my point is with these magazines and I use the pic purely as an example,  just how many times was that staged for the snapper to get the ‘right ‘ picture, as nice a picture as it is.

🐀

2 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

I think my point is with these magazines and I use the pic purely as an example,  just how many times was that staged for the snapper to get the ‘right ‘ picture, as nice a picture as it is.

🐀

Twice. Once in that car and the practice run was done in your’s! 😜

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links