Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car off the road for 6 weeks

I'm looking for advice regarding the non use of my RX450 2nd generation. I have just had surgery on my right knee and cannot drive for about 6 weeks. Nobody else in my household drives. So do I start the vehicle on a say a weekly basis and leave ticking over for a period of time or just leave alone. I am concerned that starting it might drain the hybrid cells but not starting at all would probably drain the 12v Battery. I am in a position to start the vehicle as many times as would be needed its just the driving I cant perform.

Any advice would be great fully appreciated.

Brian

11 minutes ago, Summerbj said:

I'm looking for advice regarding the non use of my RX450 2nd generation. I have just had surgery on my right knee and cannot drive for about 6 weeks. Nobody else in my household drives. So do I start the vehicle on a say a weekly basis and leave ticking over for a period of time or just leave alone. I am concerned that starting it might drain the hybrid cells but not starting at all would probably drain the 12v battery. I am in a position to start the vehicle as many times as would be needed its just the driving I cant perform.

Any advice would be great fully appreciated.

Brian

I would start it every 2 weeks and let it run a bit until the engine is warm 

• Like 1

As Rayaan above has already said, but make sure you leave the car in park do not use neutral. The reason for this is the engine cannot start in neutral, and this could lead to both batteries being discharged. Alternatives are a trickle charger on the 12 volt Battery from the mains if this is possible? Or a solar panel charger connected direct to the Battery.

Many solar chargers come with a cigar lighter plug fitted, but this will not work on a Lexus since the outlet sockets are disconnected with the ignition off.

John.

I'm in the same position as you at the moment, Brian. And not being able to drive is killing me! 

I can't advise on the hybrid side of things, but I'd say don't ignore the usual things when you have the engine running. For example: run the aircon, cycle the parking brake off (I am unable to leave it off, sadly), pump-up the brakes, if you safe to do so move the car half a metre to help the tyres, etc. Might be worth turning off the interior lights at the switches as well (Toyota used to have a problem with the circuit remaining live). 

Speedy recovery! ☺️

Does it need any servicing? You could maybe book it in for a service at the 3-week midpoint with a garage that has a collection and drop off service, many do these days. If you can find one a few miles away that will do this it'll probably be a lot better for the car than letting it tick over on your driveway.

• Like 1

With the hybrid system does the alternator not charge the big hybrid pack as well as the starter Battery? Is its only charging from regenerative braking?

For my 'old tech' cars I would run the engine once a week up to operating temps to circulate the oil and for warmth to drive out the damp in the engine bay and inside the cabin.

To my simple way of thinking dampness is the long term enemy of these cars with all their electronics and six weeks is not long enough to cause concern.

You could fit an AA Solar Battery charger that fits in the OBD port    https://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-5060114614185-Solar-Powered-Battery-Charger/dp/B00AC1LLQY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1534672720&sr=8-3&keywords=aa+solar+car+battery+charger

Obviously won't work if you keep your car in a dark garage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The good thing is at least we both have our cars off the road while the weather is fine; over winter it would be far worse with damp inside the car, pads corroding onto discs after rain, etc. 

His Brian. Wishing you a speedy recovery on your knee.

Now then what level is showing on the Battery level display? If it's low then you just may have to start the car and let it run until it stops by its self perhaps once a fortnight. If the level is showing full then you can leave the car alone as no use means no Battery drain enough to cause concern. 

Car started immediately this morning and the Hybrid system is showing fully charged, so think I will leave well alone for time being. Thanks guys for all your input and taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lydiamight said:

You could fit an AA Solar battery charger that fits in the OBD port    https://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-5060114614185-Solar-Powered-Battery-Charger/dp/B00AC1LLQY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1534672720&sr=8-3&keywords=aa+solar+car+battery+charger

Obviously won't work if you keep your car in a dark garage.

That's very interesting.  I have been wondering how to connect a solar panel in my rx400h and did not know that it could charge the Battery through the eobd port.

Havn't read all the posts but .. I work abroad and regularly leave both my RX 450h and LS 600h for upto 6 weeks at a time get home and both always fire up straight away

Having said that .. the LS has a new Battery whereas the RX Battery is now 7 years old .. I'm due back from Norway here at the end of this month after being away 5 weeks

bet they both start .. so don't worry about it for at least 3 weeks and let it run for a while .. just make sure you turn everything off before locking it

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links