Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus recruitment day, any advice?

I'm attending a recruitment day for lexus stoke next Wednesday for a sales role and wondered if anyone works for lexus in sales and had any tips? 

I really want this job as I love lexus! 

Probably a long shot but thought I would give it a go and ask anyway.

Thanks, Matt. 

Hey mate, good luck for the interview.

I don’t work for Lexus but I have worked in a variety of sales roles in the last 20 years. I’m currently recruiting and training business development (sales) staff for Lloyds bank as well as maneging a team of business development staff.

Make sure you have plenty of questions to ask them at the end of the interview other than “how much does it pay” and all the usual predictable stuff. It makes you stand out, be memorable and seem like you’re not just along cos you think the job would be cool.

If you are being interviewed by existing sales staff then ask “what do you think will make a good Lexus salesperson” (or something along very similar lines) this question exhibits an interest in their opinions and a desire to meet their requirements. Subliminally that will endear them towards you.

Ask them what training they offer and how long it is likely to take before you are fully up to speed (shows you are keen to start and learn). 

Another great line of questioning is “what characteristics or behaviours have made their most successful staff such a success” and “if I were to start tomorrow, who would you have me shadowing to make sure I get the best possible start”. Both of those get them thinking about you as if you are already in the job. Subliminally, they’ll be thinking about you physically doing the job and providing you’ve not come across as a full blown mentalist then the more they are thinking about you actually doing the job then the more likely you are to be offered it.

Ask them what they think you’ve done during the interview that they have likedand also ask them what areas they feel you’ll need development on. If appropriate, give examples at this point of where you’ve overcome knowledge or training gaps in the past.

Finally, if you feel like it’s gone well, ask them “so, when do I start”. It’ll get a laugh if nothing else!

It all depends on how “salesey” the interviewing staff are but hopefully the above should help. Obviously a good knowledge of current Lexus models will help. If you get a chance, watch the YouTube video about how they make the new Lexus blue colour that has no actual blue in it and bring this up in conversation. If you know more about it than they do this will look good.

Good luck chief and let us know how you get on!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, steveledzep said:

No personal experience.  Most important thing at the end of the interview is "Ask for the job" !

Good luck Matthew, let us know how you go on please.

+1 on that Steve.

”if you weren’t seeing anyone else after me, would you give me the job?

10 minutes ago, NothernDan said:

Hey mate, good luck for the interview.

I don’t work for Lexus but I have worked in a variety of sales roles in the last 20 years. I’m currently recruiting and training business development (sales) staff for Lloyds bank as well as maneging a team of business development staff.

Make sure you have plenty of questions to ask them at the end of the interview other than “how much does it pay” and all the usual predictable stuff. It makes you stand out, be memorable and seem like you’re not just along cos you think the job would be cool.

If you are being interviewed by existing sales staff then ask “what do you think will make a good Lexus salesperson” (or something along very similar lines) this question exhibits an interest in their opinions and a desire to meet their requirements. Subliminally that will endear them towards you.

Ask them what training they offer and how long it is likely to take before you are fully up to speed (shows you are keen to start and learn). 

Another great line of questioning is “what characteristics or behaviours have made their most successful staff such a success” and “if I were to start tomorrow, who would you have me shadowing to make sure I get the best possible start”. Both of those get them thinking about you as if you are already in the job. Subliminally, they’ll be thinking about you physically doing the job and providing you’ve not come across as a full blown mentalist then the more they are thinking about you actually doing the job then the more likely you are to be offered it.

Ask them what they think you’ve done during the interview that they have likedand also ask them what areas they feel you’ll need development on. If appropriate, give examples at this point of where you’ve overcome knowledge or training gaps in the past.

Finally, if you feel like it’s gone well, ask them “so, when do I start”. It’ll get a laugh if nothing else!

It all depends on how “salesey” the interviewing staff are but hopefully the above should help. Obviously a good knowledge of current Lexus models will help. If you get a chance, watch the YouTube video about how they make the new Lexus blue colour that has no actual blue in it and bring this up in conversation. If you know more about it than they do this will look good.

Good luck chief and let us know how you get on!

Thank you so much for taking the time to give such great advice, I will definitely be using the questions you've suggested if I get the opportunity. It's a group day but I may speak to them individually I'm not sure. As I understand it's an outside company doing the recruitment day and is made up of individual and group tasks with several eliminations through the day. I'm sure that your advice will be very useful in helping me! 

Based on that then remember that most of sales is listening. Finding out exactly what the client wants and miraculously that’s exactly what you are selling 😀

if its a group exercise they’ll be looking for open questioning capability (who, what, where, why, when, which, how), any question that elicits a structured answer instead of a yes or no, but then using closed questions to gain commitment such as a conditional close; 

“ if I can X will you Y” such as, if “If can find one with a sunroof will you buy the car”. 

Or, an alternative close such as;

”so will you take the red one or the black one” ( either way you are taking one!).

Try and persuade without arguing, listen first then question and direct things towards your way of thinking. 

Most imprtantly, if you are given a task to complete as a group, the first thing you should ask, and make sure the assessors hear you ask it, is;

”Before we start, has anybody done this before”

lsrge businesses often have ‘plants’ in the groups who will only guide you to success if somebody’s asks. Asking this question shows you are always looking to use all available resources.

Good luck mate.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NothernDan said:

Based on that then remember that most of sales is listening. Finding out exactly what the client wants and miraculously that’s exactly what you are selling 😀

if its a group exercise they’ll be looking for open questioning capability (who, what, where, why, when, which, how), any question that elicits a structured answer instead of a yes or no, but then using closed questions to gain commitment such as a conditional close; 

“ if I can X will you Y” such as, if “If can find one with a sunroof will you buy the car”. 

Or, an alternative close such as;

”so will you take the red one or the black one” ( either way you are taking one!).

Try and persuade without arguing, listen first then question and direct things towards your way of thinking. 

Most imprtantly, if you are given a task to complete as a group, the first thing you should ask, and make sure the assessors hear you ask it, is;

”Before we start, has anybody done this before”

lsrge businesses often have ‘plants’ in the groups who will only guide you to success if somebody’s asks. Asking this question shows you are always looking to use all available resources.

Good luck mate.

Seriously, thank you so much! This is really so much more than I was expecting!

I have some experience of group tasks in recruitment.  You may be presented with a physical model of something with an associated task for the group.  Best advice I can give is don't feel restricted by the physical model, explore beyond its boundaries.  In other words "think outside the box".  Again.....good luck ! 

I have some experience of group tasks in recruitment.  You may be presented with a physical model of something with an associated task for the group.  Best advice I can give is don't feel restricted by the physical model, explore beyond its boundaries.  In other words "think outside the box".  Again.....good luck ! 
Management Bollox. Have you tried war?

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Matthew, good luck ............. just make sure it's a role you really really want and it's not just the thought of being with Lexus all day that is swaying you  :rolleyes:

Malc

It's definitely something I want to do, I've been trying to get into car sales for a while but it's difficult as I have no experience in that industry. I have to say lexus would be my first choice of manufacturer though as I do love the brand and the quality of the cars. I feel this would make selling them an easier prospect than something I'm not sure about the quality of. 

What a great thread and great advices above! I am not looking for work now but I will be following this thread as it has a lot of useful information what to do on ANY job interview!

Thanks everyone!

Matthew Good Luck! 

I agree with that selling something you have a respect for is much easier!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Matt1986 said:

I've been trying to get into car sales for a while

maybe I'm just a bit old and gnarled ...  I had my own car sales business a while ago now .....  quite successful, loved it to bits most of the time but could never commit the 24/7 that my partner wanted to ...........  he was brilliant at it.

A few years later I saw the local Lexus franchise advertise for car sales staff ......  I thought like you, loved my Ls and couldn't think of a better role in life ( for work ) 

All my experience, love of the job and marque and ..........  didn't even get an interview :whistling1:

So you're coming at it with zero experience is probably a good way forward ................. you'll do very well :yahoo:

Good luck

Malc

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Malc said:

maybe I'm just a bit old and gnarled ...  I had my own car sales business a while ago now .....  quite successful, loved it to bits most of the time but could never commit the 24/7 that my partner wanted to ...........  he was brilliant at it.

A few years later I saw the local Lexus franchise advertise for car sales staff ......  I thought like you, loved my Ls and couldn't think of a better role in life ( for work ) 

All my experience, love of the job and marque and ..........  didn't even get an interview :whistling1:

So you're coming at it with zero experience is probably a good way forward ................. you'll do very well :yahoo:

Good luck

Malc

Yes I came across the job whilst chatting to a staff member at the dealership whilst in buying parts for my ls. She did say they prefer to take people with no experience so they are a clean sheet to teach good practice rather than trying to unlearn old habits. Hopefully I will at least make it to the end of the day and it's all great experience anyway. Thanks again to everyone for your advice

• Like 1

I’m presently working in the utilities sector and the main thing they tend to look for is customer service skills, how to initially contact customers by phone, door step protocol on arrival, introduction of yourself and complete customer satisfaction.

Technical skills don’t get mentioned as they want to train you to their standards.

Another interview technique is role play where you are briefed for a specific scenario and then you are asked to act it out.

A favourite interview question is to provide an example where you have gone beyond your expected boundaries to deal with a situation to produce a positive outcome for the customer.

A lot of companies like words such as “within scope, moving forward and positive work ethics” if you can drop them in during the interview.

• Like 1

If they were to ask me why I wanted to work for Lexus, my reply would be,

"A number of owner satisfaction surveys have concluded that the owners love the dealerships as much as the cars [ in direct contrast to so many top marques] and that is the sort of company I want to be involved with.

Well I got this recruitment day after giving them my CV and cover letter. So have about 30 other people though. I imagine they are recruiting more than one person otherwise a group interview would be a bit of a water of time for one position I would think. 

36 minutes ago, Matt1986 said:

Well I got this recruitment day after giving them my CV and cover letter. So have about 30 other people though. I imagine they are recruiting more than one person otherwise a group interview would be a bit of a water of time for one position I would think. 

My bad mate, for some reason I though the open day was yesterday. Good luck for Wednesday mate, you’ll certainly be better prepared than most others 😎

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links