Hi,

i want a tow bar fitted to my gen4 RX 450h, have been to my local tow bar fitting company's and none of them have a tow bar kit even listed on the systems.

i can get one from Lexus for £1200 but that's a lot of money for what normally is about £300-£400 I paid on my old rx400h.

does anyone have a supplier I can get one from??

did try the search function on here but was useless, so sorry if it's already been mentioned before, apologies 

many thanks

I had a Witter tow bar fitted to my 2012 RX450h, I don't know if this is totally different to your model but it may be worth giving Witter a call direct, as they may have one on the way or may even use your car to design and make one for the later model. I did this with a replacement brake line manufacturer for a motorcycle. When I spoke to Witter technical a few years back, they were very helpful. Good luck.

Hi 

I had a tow bar fitted for my RX 450 2010 model at westfalia in Bristol in 2016, cost £896 .40. The exact tow bar that Lexus fit to their vehicles, with a removable tow bar!

2ddesign

Thanks for replys everyone, but the gen 3 tow bars do not fit the new model, I need someone who has a GEN 4 car to come forward unfortunately and tell me what type of tow bar is fitted.

its very disappointing that no tow bar companies so far as I can find list one to fit the GEN 4 RX450h.

someone must have one fitted?

Hi - I searched very hard for a gen 4 towbar from anyone other than Lexus - as you say £1200 approx - Gen 4 is a totally different towbar to gen 3 and earlier - my local man also searched for me, and no-one makes one other than Lexus - so I bit the bullet, but with Gold member discount that made a decent saving. The other thing Lexus told me was that if I have it fitted by anyone other than themselves it will invalidate the warranty - and presumably your Gen 4 is still in warranty?

Had one fitted to my gen3 yesterday but I've had to wait nearly 5 weeks due to delay in manufacturing, try PF Jones website and put your reg in, if Lexus do it Westfillia will also have an option

Westfillia has no tow bar to fit GEN4 SUV, tried them weeks ago.

😞

On 9/27/2018 at 3:27 PM, luckyduck said:

Hi - I searched very hard for a gen 4 towbar from anyone other than Lexus - as you say £1200 approx - Gen 4 is a totally different towbar to gen 3 and earlier - my local man also searched for me, and no-one makes one other than Lexus - so I bit the bullet, but with Gold member discount that made a decent saving. The other thing Lexus told me was that if I have it fitted by anyone other than themselves it will invalidate the warranty - and presumably your Gen 4 is still in warranty?

Yep thats correct. Aftermarket parts in warranty period will invalidate the warranty, especially if there is hybrid failure as these aren't designed to tow very much at all.

2000kg ain't that small, its the 90kg nose weight you have to be careful of!

On 9/27/2018 at 3:27 PM, luckyduck said:

The other thing Lexus told me was that if I have it fitted by anyone other than themselves it will invalidate the warranty - and presumably your Gen 4 is still in warranty?

Well they would say that wouldn't they because they want your money 🤣

A towbar fitter may be able to buy it from Lexus with trade discount and fit it for you which will reduce the cost of the kit slightly and the labour significantly so you might be able to save a few quid that way if Lexus are prepared to sell the towbar and wiring kit alone.  If it's a genuine kit and fitted by a competent person then it won't invalidate the warranty.

I'm glad I found this thread.  Looks like I wont be trading my 400H in any time soon as the tow bar is essential for me to transport my electric bike.

BTW - I got an independent to fit the bar to my 400h -about £500 if I recall correctly.  My car was on Lexus extended warranty and they have honoured a couple of claims without quibbling about who fitted the towbar.

Mike

I had a O.E kit fitted to my new RX450h - by the selling dealer - not impressed. Left with warning light on which did rest itself after short journey. Trim clip left on seat,

Where cut was made in rear trim to make way for the detachable bar, looked very poor as cut out not symmetrical. The cut was very rough, no attempt to smooth off edges. No blanking plate for when bar it not in use . Looks rubbish.

Very poor and expensive.

Looks good, the only thing I would say is there are no pictures or reference to a tow ball that fits

Does anyone know of any independents making a towbar for the gen 4 yet?

Mike

I think the point about invalidating the Warranty, and particularly where Lexus give extended warranty that most owners take, would reduce the demand, and therefore any manufacturer would be more likely to look at more mainstream models. From my experience with other makes, the electrical side is where it is now tricky, because if you subsequently have electrical issues the warranty is invalid.

3 hours ago, RgrWynne said:

I think the point about invalidating the Warranty, and particularly where Lexus give extended warranty that most owners take, would reduce the demand, and therefore any manufacturer would be more likely to look at more mainstream models. From my experience with other makes, the electrical side is where it is now tricky, because if you subsequently have electrical issues the warranty is invalid.

which is tricky because even if you decide to carry bikes on a tailgate rack you are supposed to use a tailboard strapped to the bikes and for that you need an electrical socket on the car. (My bike is electric and too heavy to go on a roof rack - and too awkward to try and slide into the boot area horizontally even if I took both wheels off.

Mike