Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


Recommended Posts

Hi I'm looking to get a 3rd gen Lexus Rx450h soon hopefully s facelift  2012 or 2013 reg. I'm not keen on the air suspension as want to keep the car for a while and concerned of expensive costs. Have seen a couple of fsport models advertised and they seem pretty good value. Does anyone have any real world views on the ride of this model and are there any other things to bear in mind with the suspension on this model with the lateral damping? Otherwise am I better off going for a non air suspension model that is not fsport? Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I was like you and nervous about air suspension, so didn't want to to go for a Premier. I had a test drive of an F Sport before I bought my Luxury and don't recall the ride being significantly different/worse. I think I've read on here that there is more of a contrast with the 4th gen model, but that's not applicable to you.

I don't think the ride in my Luxury is its best feature, so don't go thinking you're missing some magic carpet experience by opting for an F Sport.

Tyre choice and pressure might be more of a factor in any difference between one model and another? I briefly had an Advance before my current RX - suspension is the same but the Luxury definitely felt better.

Good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There will be advocates of F Sport and the others.  The F Sport gives a slightly harder and tauter ride.  You best bet is to have a ride in both and decide which you prefer. My car has the air suspension and I find the ride acceptable.  It improved greatly after I changed the original Dunlops to Michelin Cross Climates.  so tyre choice can make a difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mindthegap said:

Thanks for all the replies! Anything else to look out for. Out of interest, w MNhat sort of mileage do the cars have which you have bought?

Our November 2013 (63 plate) RX450h Advance had 33k miles on it when we bought it for just short of £25k in February last year (now has 48k on the clock).

Link to comment
Share on other sites


We have a 2012 F Sport and we are happy with the ride. It isn’t a ‘ magic carpet ride’ but I personally do not think it is  as harsh as the press made it out to be. I felt that the F Sport definitely rolled and dived less than the standard models. 

We purchased ours in 2015 with 28k on the clock from Lexus Hull. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got my 2014 Luxury with one owner and just under 24k miles back in February this year.

I hadn't necessarily wanted something with such low mileage, 30-40k would have been fine, but it's what came up after I had a bad experience with the previous RX I bought and had to exchange. That first one wasn't particularly high mileage either, but it looked to have been treated as an off-roader with damage to the exhaust and undertray.

I'm sure it's equally possible to find a relatively high mileage example that's been well looked-after. I think decent service history and evidence of a caring owner is probably more important.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mileage at time of purchase will have a bearing on price.  I believe that a properly maintained  RX is a very reliable car and copes well with high mileage but Lexus maintenance is quiet expensive and insurance puts it into a high classification. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Mindthegap said:

Thanks for all the replies! Anything else to look out for. Out of interest, w MNhat sort of mileage do the cars have which you have bought?

My car had 26,000 miles in June 2018.

Now coming up to 60000.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a 2012 F-Sport and thought it had the best balance of harshness to handling. Felt the others leant too much around roundabouts. Hence, the 4th gen I have now is also an F-Sport

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think my Premium with air suspension handles quite well for an SUV and I have had a few sports saloons to compare with.  However, the air suspension was dropped for the 4th Generation and I have not been able to ascertain whether this was due to long term problems, price saving or the fact that suspension has been improved in the current models to the point where there is no significant advantage in using air suspension.  I note that road testers have said that the Audi Q5 rides much better with air suspension but can't find a side by side evaluation for the 3rd Generation Lexus RX.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

I think my Premium with air suspension handles quite well for an SUV and I have had a few sports saloons to compare with.  However, the air suspension was dropped for the 4th Generation and I have not been able to ascertain whether this was due to long term problems, price saving or the fact that suspension has been improved in the current models to the point where there is no significant advantage in using air suspension.  I note that road testers have said that the Audi Q5 rides much better with air suspension but can't find a side by side evaluation for the 3rd Generation Lexus RX.

I think that the availability of AVS in the 4RX  is possibly one of the reasons why air suspension was dropped. The ride on our GSF is very good and that is fitted with AVS.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Thanks again for all the replies. It's good to see such an active forum! For my budget I seem to be looking at 2011 cars. I could probably stretch a bit to a 2012 facelift model. Apart from a couple of small changes and a sport mode there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference though? Do you think it's worth it or just get the best I can find whether 2011 or 2012?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Mindthegap said:

Thanks again for all the replies. It's good to see such an active forum! For my budget I seem to be looking at 2011 cars. I could probably stretch a bit to a 2012 facelift model. Apart from a couple of small changes and a sport mode there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference though? Do you think it's worth it or just get the best I can find whether 2011 or 2012?

I would probably go for the newest model you can get. The infotainment system was much improved with the facelift too. Worth considering.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A lot depends on your budget and if you buy privately non franchised dealer or from franchised Lexus dealer. You probably get better assurance and warranty from a Lexus Dealer but cheaper elsewhere which sometimes can result in a satisfactory purchase.  Check service history and condition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't forget the Lexus warranty is about the best used car warranty out there so is something that you should consider when choosing. My reverse camera was (and to be truthful still is) slower in engaging than my previous 2 Lexus. The dealer replaced the hard drive unit and the part alone was £1800....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought a 2014 F-Sport a couple of months ago, and deliberately went for a fully Lexus dealership serviced model, (and bought the two year service package).

The ride is a little more taught than my previous car (Merc SClass - which had air suspension) but is perfectly agreeable, particularly for a vehicle with a high road clearance

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for this. Can you buy the extended warranty for a used Lexus that isn't being purchased from a dealer as long as it has full Lexus history? Having had a good look around there are some 1 owner cars from independents with full history that look good. A lot of the Lexus approved used have had 2 or 3 owners and haven't been prepped particularly well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It dosen't really matter which model you buy as you change the ride by adjusting your tyre pressures ,mine has air suspension and I like the harder taught ride feeling at 40psi or if I want soft and smooth intead I set at 30-32 psi night and day difference . Neither model handles like a sportier car and they weren't designed like that .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lager shandy said:

It dosen't really matter which model you buy as you change the ride by adjusting your tyre pressures ,mine has air suspension and I like the harder taught ride feeling at 40psi or if I want soft and smooth intead I set at 30-32 psi night and day difference . Neither model handles like a sportier car and they weren't designed like that .

I always thought that running under inflated and over inflated tyres would cause premature tyre wear ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, F.A. said:

I always thought that running under inflated and over inflated tyres would cause premature tyre wear ? 

It can do if left for unreasonable or inappropriate amounts of time.

The Handbook/Information on the vehicle B Pillar or Fuel Cap will advise on the appropriate pressures depending on proposed speed and or weight to be carried.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I find the 2.5 bar Lexus set my new boots at which is also figure given on plate on B pillar works well.  Steering is light and handling reasonable for a top heavy SUV.  I would only increase slightly  if carrying heavy load and people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...