Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Going to see LS430 at the weekend

At the risk of someone getting in ahead of me, I am viewing this LS430 at the weekend. It is a leggy facelift, however it is a 2 owner car with masses of main dealer history so I am not too worried about the miles. Timing belt and water pump done at 200k and last service done with MOT at 226k.

Looking at the MOT history someone did 25 - 30k miles per annum in it on several occasions, which is fairly heroic.

The steering wheel motors work, so that's got to be a good sign right 🙂

Wish me luck.

wow, if the air struts are good and the gearbox / radiator issue never appearing then it sounds a brilliant purchase, especially with a folder full of recipes to make from the contents of the fridge :yahoo:

go4it

Malc

seriously, the folder full of receipts and the timing belt etc changed recently and YOU making sure the radiator has been changed and zero coolant / gearbox issue ever AND the air suspension in fine fettle then this sounds a good purchase ( on the face of it )  

the leggy miles shouldn't ever be a problem with good servicing

Malc

2 hours ago, SlowV6 said:

Do you mean get the radiator changed anyway regardless?

yes, if it's not been changed within the last 50k miles i would say  YES

they do fail, it's the rusty unions that cause ingress of water into the gearbox eventually and cause catastrophic gearbox failure

Malc

15 minutes ago, Malc said:

they do fail, it's the rusty unions that cause ingress of water into the gearbox eventually and cause catastrophic gearbox failure

Malc

I second that, make it a priority, it's an easy job.

6 hours ago, Malc said:

Malc

I can't see any paperwork to show mine being done so sounds like something I should do - any preferences/recommendations as to where to buy one?

On 11/14/2019 at 2:34 PM, Malc said:

seriously, the folder full of receipts and the timing belt etc changed recently and YOU making sure the radiator has been changed and zero coolant / gearbox issue ever AND the air suspension in fine fettle then this sounds a good purchase ( on the face of it )  

the leggy miles shouldn't ever be a problem with good servicing

Malc

Hello Again Malc,

Sorry to ask again but when "in the field" with an LS430 how is one to check for coolant/transmission oil mixing, beyond checking the coolant is clean and red? Is it torch around the rad looking for leaks?

I assume a healthy driving experience (smooth changes, revs up to red line on full launch etc) is the other basic check?

Thanks once again.

On 11/14/2019 at 11:26 PM, BMCWP said:

I can't see any paperwork to show mine being done so sounds like something I should do - any preferences/recommendations as to where to buy one?

Main dealer would be the best but most expensive option.  There are some on eBay but you have to get the one with the nozzle at the end to connect to the expansion tank, unless you have a Celsior which has a different setup. It's an easy DIY job and not a bad idea to replace the rubber transmission hoses at the same time.  Ask Lexus Spares who post here for a quote.  Also a good time to fill with fresh coolant.

32 minutes ago, Howplum said:

Apologies for going off at a tangent, but does the radiator/oil cooler issue affect the LS400 as well?

No it doesn't, the ls400 is better built 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, messi said:

True, but in my opinion, and experience there's no substitute for doing it properly.

Jason  I don't have a Ls430, just remembering expert opinion from here over many many years

It might be that the rad has already been seen to, once or twice, I would suggest 100k miles is maybe the time to change it for new

It's not the rad itself that's the problem I understand, it's the radiator rusting pipe joints that leak water into the gearbox pipework ...............  and then your gearbox is generally a write-off

It's good that you're going to take preventative measures should you buy this car and found from the folder of receipts that it's not been done

It does sound and good buy and not much money for a good example with buckets of history to check through and be happy with

Good Luck

Malc

11 hours ago, messi said:

No it doesn't, the ls400 is better built 

Nothing to do with being better built. They are all extremely well built , it is just a different design, and the problem is easily solved as stated on here. I changed my rad, but I think I need to get the hoses and unions checked just to be sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RgrWynne said:

Nothing to do with being better built. They are all extremely well built , it is just a different design, and the problem is easily solved as stated on here. I changed my rad, but I think I need to get the hoses and unions checked just to be sure.

If you changed your radiator the unions will be fine as they come complete with new ones.  I only mention the hoses as one of mine had a bad split/cut but it may not be a common thing at all, I've not heard of any problems. Speaking of build, I've been really impressed (and frustrated) with the way mine is built as I've been working on it. 

• Haha 1

Well no forecourt petrol station shot from me.

To be fair this is a 228k car advertised for £2k so you have to manage your expectations accordingly. I concluded I could find a better one and spend more. Main stopper was the interior, which was scruffy and somewhat dirty. Secondary issues were non-functioning boot release or auto-close, steering wheel in/out motor (both claimed working in correspondence). When braking a mild graunch could be heard and I didn't feel it was particularly spritely (sadly a short urban drive only - inadequate in itself). It was however near silent and lovely to waft in.

On the upside I have finally inspected and driven a 430 and this car gives me a benchmark. It was still a Wonderful car and it has made me want one even more. Watch this space.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, SlowV6 said:

On the upside I have finally inspected and driven a 430 and this car gives me a benchmark.

Seems like the right approach, had a mate who spent £2K on 430, rushed into it, when his second LS400 was playing up.  He totally regrets that.

Now he has just spent £5K on his second 430, and spent some time as a rear passenger this weekend, like being in a 4 star hotel.  His approach was to give himself 3-6 months to find the 430 that he was going to keep.  I quite envy him, the 430 is a heck of a step up from 400, but still love my 400 too much to upgrade just yet.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Howplum said:

This one caught my attention:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1150625

Not being an expert, I don't know if "President" in the title is significant. It sounds as though it should be. Obviously the wheels are a matter of personal choice.

I've got no idea what "president" means as it has everything an LS430 should have, in fact everything was standard.  I can't help feeling a little suspicious about a car that's done 500 miles in two years but the owner is sorry to see it go.

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

I've got no idea what "president" means as it has everything an LS430 should have, in fact everything was standard.  I can't help feeling a little suspicious about a car that's done 500 miles in two years but the owner is sorry to see it go.

And who stresses that it is a private sale, so buyer be very aware !

• Like 2