Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

2016 lexus with 106,000 miles battery life

2016 lexus with 100,000 milesNeed advice. I'm thinking about buying a late 2016 lexus ISF hybrid with 106,000 miles on it from northern ireland.

Its very high miles, but looking for advice on the Battery life.

Anyone know what the max life of a lexus hybrid Battery? From what I've been reading can get up to 150k miles before needing to change it out.

What's cost to change in Dublin? And what the max mileage from Battery.

thanks

2 hours ago, BrendanE said:

IS 300 hybrid sport 

Probably better posting in the IS300h forum here, but in general the hybrid batteries can be warrantied (if they successfully pass an annual 'Hybrid Health Check') for up to 15 years or 140k miles but should last a fair bit longer.

On 8/23/2020 at 12:39 AM, Herbie said:

Probably better posting in the IS300h forum here, but in general the hybrid batteries can be warrantied (if they successfully pass an annual 'Hybrid Health Check') for up to 15 years or 140k miles but should last a fair bit longer.

Where does 140k miles come from Herbie ?

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Where does 140k miles come from Herbie ?

I'm sure I read it somewhere but of course, now that I want to link to it I can't find it  :wallbash:

However, I did find this, which says that a successful hybrid health check gives an extra 1 year or 10,000 miles (whichever comes sooner) hybrid Battery warranty extension until the car is 15 years old (making the limit 150k not 140k):

2020-08-26.thumb.png.92fe06bad86f034cca511a85bd118f69.png

7 hours ago, Herbie said:

I'm sure I read it somewhere but of course, now that I want to link to it I can't find it  :wallbash:

However, I did find this, which says that a successful hybrid health check gives an extra 1 year or 10,000 miles (whichever comes sooner) hybrid battery warranty extension until the car is 15 years old (making the limit 150k not 140k):

2020-08-26.thumb.png.92fe06bad86f034cca511a85bd118f69.png

Thanks Herbie. I`m sure that you read it somewhere,but not I think in relation to Hybrid Battery (HB) Check.

You are right about the Hybrid check covering the first 10,000 miles since the check was performed and as far as the total mileage is concerned that would equate to warranty coverage of 140,000 miles in total given that the first check would be after 12 months. In total mileage however, if a car does 100.000 in year 1 then the warranty on the HB following its first check would expire at 110,000 miles and if it did another 100,000 in year 2 then the second HB warranty would expire at 210,000 miles and so on until the expiry of 15 years since first registration. Unless, I am crossing your wires, so to speak, old buddy!

3 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

You are right about the Hybrid check covering the first 10,000 miles since the check was performed and as far as the total mileage is concerned that would equate to warranty coverage of 140,000 miles in total given that the first check would be after 12 months

Technically the vehicle may not have had a hybrid health check for the first 60k miles/5 years as the Battery is covered by manufacturer's warranty which doesn't require Lexus to service the vehicle and the health check isn't part of the official service schedule.

It doesn't matter how many miles the vehicle has done provided it is less than 15 years old. If you pass the health check then Lexus warrant it can go another 10k miles/12 months. If you do more the 10k miles a year you just get multiple services/health checks every 10k miles.

The 140k miles limit is on taking out an extended warranty. If you extend an existing extended warranty before expiry, there is no mileage limit nor is there a mileage limit during the warranty period.

The T&Cs obviously change over time. The hybrid heath check wasn't always 15 years but has been improved over the years, essentially to keep up with the age of the first Lexus hybrid (RX400h) which came out in 2005.

• Like 2

https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/warranty/manufacturer-warranty/

You mentioned the UK above, Toyota, and the Lexus corner of the office, operate as Toyota GB - the warranty may be the same in NI too but I don't know.

Obviously the website may change over time so here is a quote from it:

THE BENEFITS OF LEXUS WARRANTY

From last-minute business trips to weekends away, the Lexus manufacturer’s warranty ensures that every trip runs smoothly. With 60,000 miles cover for mechanical faults and five-year warranty for both hybrid components and hybrid Battery, our standard warranty delivers complete protection for confidence on every journey.

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

the health check isn't part of the official service schedule

From the website..

"Hybrid Health Check included
A Hybrid Health Check is included in all services. This includes a technician testing your entire Hybrid system and then providing you with a written report. For eligible vehicles, the Hybrid Health Check provides a one year 10,000 mile warranty on the Hybrid Battery."

https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/benefits/#benefits-section

So, the health check is part of the service, even on <5yr old cars (mine just booked in for it's 1yr service and was advised the health check would be done and report will be provided) but clearly the extension of the warranty doesn't kick in until after the 5th year (eligible vehicles)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Technically the vehicle may not have had a hybrid health check for the first 60k miles/5 years as the battery is covered by manufacturer's warranty which doesn't require Lexus to service the vehicle and the health check isn't part of the official service schedule.

It doesn't matter how many miles the vehicle has done provided it is less than 15 years old. If you pass the health check then Lexus warrant it can go another 10k miles/12 months. If you do more the 10k miles a year you just get multiple services/health checks every 10k miles.

The 140k miles limit is on taking out an extended warranty. If you extend an existing extended warranty before expiry, there is no mileage limit nor is there a mileage limit during the warranty period.

The T&Cs obviously change over time. The hybrid heath check wasn't always 15 years but has been improved over the years, essentially to keep up with the age of the first Lexus hybrid (RX400h) which came out in 2005.

Thanks Colin.

The penultimate paragraph is interesting and touches on something I have been going on about for some time.

Can you explain its contents in simple terms please, particularly the last sentence, giving an example ?

2 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

So, the health check is part of the service, even on <5yr old cars (mine just booked in for it's 1yr service and was advised the health check would be done and report will be provided) but clearly the extension of the warranty doesn't kick in until after the 5th year (eligible vehicles)

Yes I don't disagree but that wasn't what I was saying.

A hybrid health check isn't part of the service schedule for the vehicle - i.e. you don't have to have it done to maintain your manufacturer's warranty (the new car warranty not an extended warranty) irrespective of whether Lexus dealers do it or not. If you go to an independent then they don't really have the ability to perform a hybrid health check but can still maintain your vehicle and keep the warranty valid.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Thanks Colin.

The penultimate paragraph is interesting and touches on something I have been going on about for some time.

Can you explain its contents in simple terms please, particularly the last sentence, giving an example ?

The extended warranty T&Cs change over time, mainly due to who actually administers and provides the warranty but at present the following applies:

To take out an extended warranty the vehicle needs to be under 10 years old and have less than 140k miles on it. Once the vehicle is already under the extended warranty and you are just renewing (extending) the warranty then the 140k mile restriction doesn't apply.

The warranty has no mileage restrictions during the term. i.e. it has unlimited mileage cover. Provided you aren't using the vehicle for hire, racing, driving tuition etc.

So for example you could take out a warranty on a 7 year old vehicle with 110k miles on the clock, do 200k miles during the 2 year warranty period and purchase an extension to the warranty so the vehicle at 9 years old with 310k miles on the clock will be covered for another 2 year period with unlimited mileage restrictions. The warranty can be extended at 310k miles because there was no period when the warranty lapsed.

Once the vehicle is 10 years old the warranty cannot be extend again so in the example above the warranty would end when the vehicle is 11 years old.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links