Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Should I join the Lexus bandwagon now or wait

RajWJFWJK

Hi All,

I am newbie here so excuse my ignorance if instead of introducing myself I have come in straight and asked questions

Well, I have been looking for a 2019-2020 Lexus Nx but having scoured the many sale listings (https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106193980146?onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&postcode=b744dz&make=LEXUS&year-from=2019&colour=Silver&model=NX 300H&advertising-location=at_cars&include-delivery-option=on&radius=1501&sort=relevance&page=1)...it seems buying a new one (circa 33.5K sports edition with pan roof) makes more sense including dealer deposit of 2500 quid thrown in as dealers don't seem to budge on the used car quoted prices which defy the depreciation principles as you might have noticed looking at the listing.

I have also come across a 2019 Rx (w/o pan roof) done less than 20k for sale for almost the same price as the new NX which has caught my attention and I am unable to make a choice....as I think if I go for an RX then it should be with a sunroof as you can open the sunroof of RX (weather permitting) and boot is bigger too (not that I would use it often) but I do understand the excess insurance, service and other costs.....is there anything else to be aware of (apart from water ingress affecting hybrid Battery....worrying to say the least)  

I wonder if anyone of you has been in the same boat as myself and what model did eventually go for and why?

thanks in advance

Hi Raja and welcome to the LOC.

Sorry can’t really help with your question as always been a secondhand LS400 person, are you looking at outright purchase or PCP?

Pretty sure you’ll get some more advice from other members.

34 minutes ago, RajWJFWJK said:

as I think if I go for an RX then it should be with a sunroof as you can open the sunroof of RX (weather permitting)

I started with a 2005 RX300 SE NAV then traded in for a 2013 RX450h Advance, which was traded in for my current 2018 RX450h Luxury so I suppose I'm a bit biased towards the RX 😄

Every car I've had for the last 30 years has had a sunroof (except my current one) and I've never had any of them open, much preferring instead to let the Climate Control do what it does best. You simply set the cabin temperature that you want and the CC system will mix hot/cold conditioned air to achieve and sustain that temperature for you. Plus, you don't get your head sunburned if you happen to be 'thinning on top' like I am!

I would choose the RX over the NX all day long and from what I can gather, although the NX should be better on fuel, it is, but not by very much at all.

• Like 2

I've had more cars with sunroofs than not. I think I've only ever opened one up once. As above just set the climate control and drive totally relaxed in a RX.

I’m on my second NX and had two courtesy RX 450h over a four month period in 2017/18. I’d say now what I said then;

- both are good cars, but personal preference is to avoid F-Sport as too hard and uncomfortable for my taste;

- the RX is a BIG unit. I found it noticeably bigger than the NX, and tricky to place on the - admittedly narrow - lanes around where I live. The NX is more manageable;

- economy is about 5-10mpg better in the NX based on my experience driving the same route in the same manner. c40mpg in the NX vs c30mpg in the RX;

- personally I found comfort much the same in both cars;

- performance is the big difference, with the RX being less stressed. It really depends what you want from your car.

The decision is ultimately new vs used. If you’re happy with the size and having something pre-owned then go for the RX. If you’d prefer a new car then you won’t go far wrong with an NX as you’ll see from the posts on this forum.

3 hours ago, RajWJFWJK said:

3 hours ago, Herbie said:

I started with a 2005 RX300 SE NAV then traded in for a 2013 RX450h Advance, which was traded in for my current 2018 RX450h Luxury so I suppose I'm a bit biased towards the RX 😄

Every car I've had for the last 30 years has had a sunroof (except my current one) and I've never had any of them open, much preferring instead to let the Climate Control do what it does best. You simply set the cabin temperature that you want and the CC system will mix hot/cold conditioned air to achieve and sustain that temperature for you. Plus, you don't get your head sunburned if you happen to be 'thinning on top' like I am!

I would choose the RX over the NX all day long and from what I can gather, although the NX should be better on fuel, it is, but not by very much at all.

Thanks Herbie,

I do get your point about not having opened the sunroof except on the odd occasion and I am inclined to go for the 2019 RX ....Thanks for sharing your views.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, subria88 said:

If you're prepared to wait, there is a new generation NX due by end of the year. Would expect that to have an impact on pricing as you get closer to Sep/Oct

https://www.lexus.co.uk/car-models/all-new-nx/

I know about the new models being launched in October but then I might not be able to order a Brand New older model discontinued NX in my preferred colour as the dealers would sell what they have in stock and I don't want to spend between 10K-20K extra for the newer model.

2 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

I’m on my second NX and had two courtesy RX 450h over a four month period in 2017/18. I’d say now what I said then;

- both are good cars, but personal preference is to avoid F-Sport as too hard and uncomfortable for my taste;

- the RX is a BIG unit. I found it noticeably bigger than the NX, and tricky to place on the - admittedly narrow - lanes around where I live. The NX is more manageable;

- economy is about 5-10mpg better in the NX based on my experience driving the same route in the same manner. c40mpg in the NX vs c30mpg in the RX;

- personally I found comfort much the same in both cars;

- performance is the big difference, with the RX being less stressed. It really depends what you want from your car.

The decision is ultimately new vs used. If you’re happy with the size and having something pre-owned then go for the RX. If you’d prefer a new car then you won’t go far wrong with an NX as you’ll see from the posts on this forum.

Hi,

Thanks for your detailed response. I am still weighing my options....I think the final decision would be taken by my DW and she seems to be more inclined towards the NX due to it's size.

3 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Hi Raja and welcome to the LOC.

Sorry can’t really help with your question as always been a secondhand LS400 person, are you looking at outright purchase or PCP?

Pretty sure you’ll get some more advice from other members.

Hi,

I might go for PCP to start with due to the dealer contribution but not averse to buying cash down....but how does that matter?

\

1 hour ago, RajWJFWJK said:

I do get your point about not having opened the sunroof except on the odd occasion and I am inclined to go for the 2019 RX .

I have a sunroof on my current Lexus and had them on most of my previous cars.  And they were rarely opened.  But that doesn’t mean they were a waste of money.

They brightened up the interior and in particular made it feel more spacious and airy - even perhaps surprisingly at night!

If you get the chance, test drive one with a sunroof and draw the sunblind shut - and see if what you lose is worth the extra cost to you.  Personally I always felt it was, plus by keeping the roof shut you improved the efficiency of the Climate Control - and you might eventually save enough on fuel costs to pay for the roof.

Admittedly that might take quite a long time!  🙂

11 hours ago, LenT said:

I have a sunroof on my current Lexus and had them on most of my previous cars.  And they were rarely opened.  But that doesn’t mean they were a waste of money.

They brightened up the interior and in particular made it feel more spacious and airy - even perhaps surprisingly at night!

If you get the chance, test drive one with a sunroof and draw the sunblind shut - and see if what you lose is worth the extra cost to you.  Personally I always felt it was, plus by keeping the roof shut you improved the efficiency of the Climate Control - and you might eventually save enough on fuel costs to pay for the roof.

Admittedly that might take quite a long time!  🙂

Fully agree! I tend to have the sunblind open in winter, as it lets more light into the car and makes it feel more airy.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links