Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


Savage Geese - LC500 Ownership Review


Recommended Posts




I love the LC500, Videos and Photos do not give the car the true justice it deserves. 

 

The white platinum is just drop dead gorgeous, I have been lucky enough to see one in person and the way the colour blends into the lights and the silvers around it... Just wow...  Possibly the only white car I would buy haha. Its just bloody nice. 

a2dd4dec165c4838b126c2b22a5f0748.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found the review a bit schizophrenic. 

I agree about the two characters of the car. In traffic a quiet cruiser but on less crowded roads the performance is quite surprising. His criticism of the warning "bongs" is a bit paranoid. For example, he criticises the seat belt warning. I never get this because...  I always put my belt on. He also says the car is "too big". This from an American. In fact, the LC is almost identical in dimensions to the Aston DB9 and a lot of other cars in this class. 

My main criticism is that, despite saying that the LC is not a track car, he then spends a lot of time modifying it for the circuit and complaining that it lacks a transmission cooler which it needs on the track! Why didn't he buy a track car to start with? Oh yes, he did - the Ariel Atom and he didn't like it much.

The LC is a grown up cruiser which has very good acceleration for the occasional blast past slower cars. It is not a racer and is not intended to be. If you remember the Top Gear test of the LC, they compared it on the track with a Civic Type R. They are idiots as well. 

Sorry about the semi-rant but people don't seem to get the market that the LC is aimed at. Lexus understand this and that is why they progressively softened the suspension over model years and did not release an LC-F higher performance model.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2021 at 5:39 PM, malcolmw said:

I found the review a bit schizophrenic. 

I agree about the two characters of the car. In traffic a quiet cruiser but on less crowded roads the performance is quite surprising. His criticism of the warning "bongs" is a bit paranoid. For example, he criticises the seat belt warning. I never get this because...  I always put my belt on. He also says the car is "too big". This from an American. In fact, the LC is almost identical in dimensions to the Aston DB9 and a lot of other cars in this class. 

My main criticism is that, despite saying that the LC is not a track car, he then spends a lot of time modifying it for the circuit and complaining that it lacks a transmission cooler which it needs on the track! Why didn't he buy a track car to start with? Oh yes, he did - the Ariel Atom and he didn't like it much.

The LC is a grown up cruiser which has very good acceleration for the occasional blast past slower cars. It is not a racer and is not intended to be. If you remember the Top Gear test of the LC, they compared it on the track with a Civic Type R. They are idiots as well. 

Sorry about the semi-rant but people don't seem to get the market that the LC is aimed at. Lexus understand this and that is why they progressively softened the suspension over model years and did not release an LC-F higher performance model.

I agree with you, there have been a lot of reviews of Lexus cars that have had me scratching my head wondering if they are actually describing the car I own. Although Savage Geese do a very well informed review of everything they test and are significantly more intelligent with their content than dim witted presenters doing it for ratings or dramatic effect.

I feel an awful lot of these reviews harp on about track performance which seems to appeal to what people seem to believe is important. When I had a desire to go on track I bought a proper little track day car, that way I could go on track as many times as I wanted. It provided decently priced proper insurance cover and if I did have an off it would not ruin my much more expensive pride and joy. Although some cars do both jobs very well the Porsche Boxster I had did road and track very well indeed.

On today's roads with unmarked police cars,  hand held camera operatives and vans there's not a great deal of scope to exploit the power our cars produce so having a car that can do smooth comfortable cruising then at the press of a couple of buttons turn into a hooligan for those rare moments is something both the LC 500 and the RCF do perfectly well for me at least.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2021 at 5:39 PM, malcolmw said:

I found the review a bit schizophrenic. 

My main criticism is that, despite saying that the LC is not a track car, he then spends a lot of time modifying it for the circuit and complaining that it lacks a transmission cooler which it needs on the track! Why didn't he buy a track car to start with? Oh yes, he did - the Ariel Atom and he didn't like it much.

 

I have to disagree with your analysis of the video ever so slightly, more so than not is the part of your text that I chose not to purge out of the above quote. He loves the car and even openly admits that once his Lease has ended he is planning on purchasing one outright. But regarding his track comments the way he is phrasing it is that, Yes it is NOT a track car but the car itself keeps drawing him back to the track and he loves that about it. That's a very positive statement which I believe you may have misunderstood. 

If you can buy a non track car and enjoy it on a circuit that's only good. I couldn't see where he actually modified it I thought that he hasn't modified it he mentions about how Lexus have evolved each production type of LC 

----

Personally I agree with him in regard to a couple of things though, The LC external dimensions vs accessible space it is a tad boaty. Lexus Beeps are bloody annoying as are the hold your hands safety features that are almost impossible to fully disable without a peddle dance. And it is a bloody nice sounding machine. 

 

Theres some pretty nice prices on AT atm for the LC.... 😅

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Arnett said:

Theres some pretty nice prices on AT atm for the LC.... 😅

Depreciation seems to be quite high from reading those prices BUT so what, when you're spending nigh on £100k what's the odd £25k a year depn to worry about😵

Malc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another video well worth watching from Savagegeese. He definitely knows all about the LC500… Having owned a Coupe and a Convertible, I can appreciate his views…

I have just bought a MB 1886 EQC, and I am having an Elap modified passenger seat fitted, for my wife to be able to get in and out of it…

When my 2nd garage is emptied of building materials, I am living next door to a building site... I will probably buy another LC 500 Convertible to go in my 2nd garage, and use it when I can… It was a great car…!

The MB EQC Forum isn’t as good as the Lexus Forum, so I will stay as a member…!

04.09.21.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2021 at 5:39 PM, malcolmw said:

I found the review a bit schizophrenic. 

I agree about the two characters of the car. In traffic a quiet cruiser but on less crowded roads the performance is quite surprising. His criticism of the warning "bongs" is a bit paranoid. For example, he criticises the seat belt warning. I never get this because...  I always put my belt on. He also says the car is "too big". This from an American. In fact, the LC is almost identical in dimensions to the Aston DB9 and a lot of other cars in this class. 

My main criticism is that, despite saying that the LC is not a track car, he then spends a lot of time modifying it for the circuit and complaining that it lacks a transmission cooler which it needs on the track! Why didn't he buy a track car to start with? Oh yes, he did - the Ariel Atom and he didn't like it much.

The LC is a grown up cruiser which has very good acceleration for the occasional blast past slower cars. It is not a racer and is not intended to be. If you remember the Top Gear test of the LC, they compared it on the track with a Civic Type R. They are idiots as well. 

Sorry about the semi-rant but people don't seem to get the market that the LC is aimed at. Lexus understand this and that is why they progressively softened the suspension over model years and did not release an LC-F higher performance model.

I think he's not really pointing out the lack of track capability as a flaw, rather he's pointing out how capable it is even though it's not a legit track car. His personality is just quite pessimistic so he'll always find stuff to complain about even when he likes a car. Tbh that's what I like about his videos since it's not all super positive and upbeat like most youtubers.

To be fair the warning beeps annoy me too on my RCF, especially when I can't even tell why it beeps - for example if I turn the engine off, then open the door, it sometimes beeps continuously until I close the door again. I still don't know why. It just comes across as a bit patronising, especially with how persistent all the different warnings are. You click them away, they come back a few seconds later. I know why they exist for liability etc, but I should be able to turn them off in a menu somewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Being completely honest. While I owned the LC 500 Coupe, it was Savagegeese’s youtube review of the LC 500 Convertible, that influenced me to buy one.

I buy my cars after reading the car mags reviews, and watching you tube reviews… Because of my accident, I don’t go far, and drive only a little. I also look after my wife.

I have been googling, and watching reviews of the RC F. My thinking, is that when my 2nd garage is emptied of building materials. I will buy an RC F. I will ask Forum members who have an RC F, how easy the foot operated hand brake is to use…? I cant drive manuals because of injuries to my left leg. I will need to be sure that I can operate the foot operated hand brake…

I will probably keep the RC F, because it will become a car worth keeping. As it, like other V8’s, will become a collector’s car…

My favourite cars of all time are my two LS 400’s, but this car is bigger than I need…

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Kevin Williams said:

Being completely honest. While I owned the LC 500 Coupe, it was Savagegeese’s youtube review of the LC 500 Convertible, that influenced me to buy one.

I buy my cars after reading the car mags reviews, and watching you tube reviews… Because of my accident, I don’t go far, and drive only a little. I also look after my wife.

I have been googling, and watching reviews of the RC F. My thinking, is that when my 2nd garage is emptied of building materials. I will buy an RC F. I will ask Forum members who have an RC F, how easy the foot operated hand brake is to use…? I cant drive manuals because of injuries to my left leg. I will need to be sure that I can operate the foot operated hand brake…

I will probably keep the RC F, because it will become a car worth keeping. As it, like other V8’s, will become a collector’s car…

My favourite cars of all time are my two LS 400’s, but this car is bigger than I need…

Pretty certain there isn't a foot handbrake at all in the RCF, there isn't in the GSF (saloon version). I'm 99.99% certain It's the same.

So the main concern you may have is intact not one to worry about. 😇

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My 2015  RCF has a foot operated parking brake. Maybe it was discontinued in facelifted models? I find it very easy to use, but I have no injuries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mine is a 2017 and that still has the foot operated handbrake, but there was a model update after mine.

not that I ever bother to use it, I know you’re supposed to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks MNMJ and B1RMA, It looks like its more leg than foot…! The video below is a good description…? I think it should be ok. I have watched several YouTube reviews of the RC F, and have more to watch. I think the RC F will be my next Lexus in about six to eight weeks time. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwvvDWl7u6Q 

How long have you both owned yours…?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2021 at 1:57 PM, Kevin Williams said:

Being completely honest. While I owned the LC 500 Coupe, it was Savagegeese’s youtube review of the LC 500 Convertible, that influenced me to buy one.

I buy my cars after reading the car mags reviews, and watching you tube reviews… Because of my accident, I don’t go far, and drive only a little. I also look after my wife.

I have been googling, and watching reviews of the RC F. My thinking, is that when my 2nd garage is emptied of building materials. I will buy an RC F. I will ask Forum members who have an RC F, how easy the foot operated hand brake is to use…? I cant drive manuals because of injuries to my left leg. I will need to be sure that I can operate the foot operated hand brake…

I will probably keep the RC F, because it will become a car worth keeping. As it, like other V8’s, will become a collector’s car…

My favourite cars of all time are my two LS 400’s, but this car is bigger than I need…

Would the GS F not be better suited ...no foot operated hand brake, auto hold, on the very late examples admittedly  same glorious V8 soundtrack and plenty of space, also rarer than rocking horse 💩 ....just a thought if it wasn't on your radar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Kevin Williams said:

Thanks MNMJ and B1RMA, It looks like its more leg than foot…! The video below is a good description…? I think it should be ok. I have watched several YouTube reviews of the RC F, and have more to watch. I think the RC F will be my next Lexus in about six to eight weeks time. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwvvDWl7u6Q 

How long have you both owned yours…?

For me the RCF is an all time record holder as far as length of ownership is concerned. In the past I have been a serial car changer in most cases I just got bored with them after 12 months and sold them, although my monster twin turbo V12 AMG did stay around for 14 months. I'm coming up for my third year of ownership of my RCF and plan to keep it until either the Corvette C8 RHD or the new Lotus Emira have been around a while,  I never buy the first run of a new model car just in case they use me as a Guinea Pig to find the faults.

Of all the reviews the one done by Chris Harris on the RCF stuck out and he is someone who's opinion I respect more than most. It's not a track type car and there are many others that can do that task better (although I just went out and bought a proper little light track day car) so in the part of the review where he takes it on the road his comment about it growing on you over time worked for me. I really like the Jekyll and Hyde characteristic of the car it can do smooth and comfortable then at the press of a couple of buttons be a hooligan. I like the later cars 2017 onwards adjustable suspension it is very good indeed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Duggie B said:

Would the GS F not be better suited ...no foot operated hand brake, auto hold, on the very late examples admittedly  same glorious V8 soundtrack and plenty of space, also rarer than rocking horse 💩 ....just a thought if it wasn't on your radar.

Thanks for your post Doug. The GS F will no doubt become a collector’s car. The RC F’s YouTube reviews, and several of the posts on the Forum about RC F’s. Influence me towards buying one when my 2nd garage is clear… Anything longer will be tight to put in my garage. A 2+2 is fine with me. If I need to take passengers I will have my MB EQC… The picture attached is because I had a camera there before the garage was built. I just pointed it down a bit…!

 

Screenshot 2021-09-09 at 07.51.01.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, B1RMA said:

For me the RCF is an all time record holder as far as length of ownership is concerned. In the past I have been a serial car changer in most cases I just got bored with them after 12 months and sold them, although my monster twin turbo V12 AMG did stay around for 14 months. I'm coming up for my third year of ownership of my RCF and plan to keep it until either the Corvette C8 RHD or the new Lotus Emira have been around a while,  I never buy the first run of a new model car just in case they use me as a Guinea Pig to find the faults.

Of all the reviews the one done by Chris Harris on the RCF stuck out and he is someone who's opinion I respect more than most. It's not a track type car and there are many others that can do that task better (although I just went out and bought a proper little light track day car) so in the part of the review where he takes it on the road his comment about it growing on you over time worked for me. I really like the Jekyll and Hyde characteristic of the car it can do smooth and comfortable then at the press of a couple of buttons be a hooligan. I like the later cars 2017 onwards adjustable suspension it is very good indeed.

Thanks for your honest comments David. My mind is definitely made up to have a RC F. The RC F Carbon looks good…! I have been trying to find on the net what differences the later cars have. I see that Castle Motors have one…

https://www.castlemotors.com/used-lexus-rc-f-liskeard-cornwall-3719980

I have been buying and selling cars with them for 30 years. I know the owners and Directors well. One of my quarries was two and a half miles away. I will ask them about the foot/leg operated parking brake. They know me well enough to let me know that it should be ok. I think it will be ok… When my 2nd garage is empty I will probably ask Castle Motors to find and buy a 2020 one for me. I will then have one very quiet car, and a very noisy Lexus again…!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, B1RMA said:

For me the RCF is an all time record holder as far as length of ownership is concerned. In the past I have been a serial car changer in most cases I just got bored with them after 12 months and sold them, although my monster twin turbo V12 AMG did stay around for 14 months. I'm coming up for my third year of ownership of my RCF and plan to keep it until either the Corvette C8 RHD or the new Lotus Emira have been around a while,  I never buy the first run of a new model car just in case they use me as a Guinea Pig to find the faults.

Of all the reviews the one done by Chris Harris on the RCF stuck out and he is someone who's opinion I respect more than most. It's not a track type car and there are many others that can do that task better (although I just went out and bought a proper little light track day car) so in the part of the review where he takes it on the road his comment about it growing on you over time worked for me. I really like the Jekyll and Hyde characteristic of the car it can do smooth and comfortable then at the press of a couple of buttons be a hooligan. I like the later cars 2017 onwards adjustable suspension it is very good indeed.

The Lotus Emira does look nice, and has a good price. If Shmee 150 has ordered one, it must be good…! Probably also a good track car...

If I was younger, I would probably also have one…!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9pfPLAxI3A

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Kevin Williams said:

Thanks MNMJ and B1RMA, It looks like its more leg than foot…! The video below is a good description…? I think it should be ok. I have watched several YouTube reviews of the RC F, and have more to watch. I think the RC F will be my next Lexus in about six to eight weeks time. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwvvDWl7u6Q 

How long have you both owned yours…?

Yes that video is pretty much accurate for the RCF.

I've had my RCF for over 6 years, I picked it up at 3 months old, with 1500 miles on the clock. Previously I kept my ISF for nearly 5 years. Before those two, I changed every 2 years. I can see me running the RCF for another few years; there is no reason to change and I adore it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kevin Williams said:

The Lotus Emira does look nice, and has a good price. If Shmee 150 has ordered one, it must be good…! Probably also a good track car...

If I was younger, I would probably also have one…!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9pfPLAxI3A

 

It does look to be a good car at last. I didn't watch the Shmee video I hate him for some reason, he has a face and mannerism that wants punching and looks to me like the sort of chap who got well and truly buggered  at private school (if he went to one) but I could be wrong. Him and Dug the Manure or Doug Demuro or whatever he calls himself are on my don't watch list.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership