Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A FOND FAREWELL

I am very sad to say that I am having to part company with my 2008 Lexus RX400H after 3 1/2 years.  It has honestly been the best car I have ever had and an absolute dream to drive, but electrical problems have become a major issue.

The car would not start 4 weeks ago and my mechanic replaced the Hybrid Starter Relay circuit as per the diagnostic check, but it still wouldn't start so he replaced the Battery and it still wouldn't start.  I had the car taken to LEXUS Glasgow who diagnosed a leak with water getting into the electrical circuits and their advice was that it would not be cost effective to try and repair.  They managed to get the car started and it was fine for a couple of days then on Tuesday the Battery was completely flat.  I managed to jump start it and left it running for a while but on Wednesday it was the same, however when I went to jump start it again the alarm went off and it would not start.  I removed the Battery and bought a charger as I need to get it to the showroom to trade it in as I need a reliable car urgently, then I get the Corona Virus and have not been able to leave the house to trade the car in as arranged for Thursday past (all I need to do is get it 4 miles to the dealer), so I still don't know if the car will start .  As the saying goes, if it wasn't for bad luck......

It has been great gleaning knowledge from this site, you have all been fantastic.  Who knows I might return in a few years with a different Lexus, but for now I am downgrading to a top of the range Qashqai!!

Take care, stay safe.

• Sad 1

Sorry to learn you are one of the growing number affected by Covid.  I hope you only have it mildly and do not suffer long term effects. You have also been unlucky with the electrical problems apparently caused by water ingress in your RX.  I can well understand if you want to forget the experience, however, it may be of interest to others to learn whether the car will be broken for spares or a purchaser with good auto electrician will sort the problem and sell the car on on. If the later is the case, It might also interest you to learn what the repaired car would cost, although it might be too late for you to purchase it with guarantee, even if you would consider this. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Burroo 67 said:

...then I get the Corona Virus and have not been able to leave the house to trade the car in as arranged for Thursday past (all I need to do is get it 4 miles to the dealer), so I still don't know if the car will start .  As the saying goes, if it wasn't for bad luck......

Get better soon! 🎄 💊

Brian, how terrible for you .  get well soon .  cars can be replaced ............ silly Q really, did the RAC or AA help you in any way ? They have a knack of getting you going you know ! ...  and to a forward destination even by towtruck !

Malc

Hope you get better soon Brian.

There's a fuse box located in the passenger footwell, just about where the left foot would rest. This often gets soaked because there's a drain pipe also in the same location. Somewhere on here there's an entire topic including pictures but I find the search facility on here absolutely abysmal and can't find it right now. 

It's well worth a look before you get rid of the car - it may just need drying and cleaning up.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for all the responses and good wishes re the Corona Virus.  I have very mild symptoms - a cough is all - and I am back in the world of the living at the end of the week.

Re the car: -

• Lexus Glasgow said the passenger side floor was soaking (Herbie has probably got this one spot on) and they reckoned the water ingress was down the A pillar.  I sanctioned 3 hours labour (£110 PH + VAT) an they said they could probably find the leak within that time but that the cost of repair could be many hours and possibly a new windscreen .  They could have taken my money but were extremely honest and i commend them for it.
  • I got £3550 trade in for the car and I have been completely honest with the salesman throughout
  • If a car minded person buys my RX at market he will be buying a cracker of a car.  It has only 126K miles on it, FSH since I bought it, Hybrid warranty, 2 x new shockers on the back, 4 x new discs and pads within the last 2 years, a new exhaust 20 months ago, refurbished alloys and is immaculate inside as I look after my cars.  A mechanic could buy himself a great machine here - just a pity I need a car right now or I could have possibly thought of keeping it and £3550 was too good to resist.  I was offered £5125 by WeBuyAnyCar so there is money to be made on it.

I'm really gonna miss it.....

• Like 5

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links