Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cyclists, new Highway Code rules

mdj8

4 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

I refer my honourable friend to the answer I gave a moment ago

to which I felt might have been a tad disingenuous .............. lucky we live in a ( free ! )  society to be able to  " beg to differ " :wink3:

Malc

3 minutes ago, Malc said:

to which I felt might have been a tad disingenuous .............. lucky we live in a ( free ! )  society to be able to  " beg to differ " :wink3:

Malc

"But Maurice, you should know by now in today's world my personal needs, desires, opinions, thoughts and actions take priority over every other persons . 🤠

Disingenuous? How so Malc? 

7 minutes ago, Twellsie said:

but back then it has a metre from the curb..... 

new rules I'm afraid to say ... and what if there's no distinguishable kerb, nor appreciable width to the " road " ............  and in any event they're now encouraged to hog the centre of the damned road ................ it seems :whistling:

1 minute ago, Phil xxkr said:

Disingenuous? How so Malc?

coz you're now advocating purposefully breaking the Law and must be prepared to suffer the consequences therefore ....... to the Tower methinks :yes:

Malc

1 hour ago, Phil xxkr said:

But Maurice, you should know by now in today's world my personal needs, desires, opinions, thoughts and actions take priority over every other persons . 🤠

Disingenuous, maybe? It does reflect however, a level of frustration felt by people over the lack of Respect and Tolerance clearly in place in the world today.

A frustration I share. 😔

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Moleman said:

Disingenuous, maybe? It does reflect however, a level of frustration felt by people over the lack of Respect and Tolerance clearly in place in the world today.

A frustration I share. 😔

When I wrote "my" it did not mean me personally, perhaps I should have written "ones" 😎

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Malc said:

and why on earth not ........."  road  " tax must surely give priority to those who pay ..  those who don't then please go to the bottom / back of the Q :thumbsup:

Malc

But wait I pay VED, so I have the 'right' to get ahead of the Q, I lost count the number of cars I passed stuck in traffic on the commute home, must in three figure+ 😎.

My commuter bike is now 'complete', first time ever I've had panniers on any bike.  Absolutely love it🥰

52070806268_e14f848dc7_k_d.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Malc said:

on your bicycle ?

Malc

I pay £0 for our EV but still can use the road, the IS300H is £20........so what point are you trying to get to? May be all EV drivers should give way to you because you pay more VED 😆.

Anyways have a good weekend, hope you weren't stuck for too long in a traffic jam on the way home from work today 😀.

14 hours ago, ganzoom said:

hope you weren't stuck for too long in a traffic jam on the way home from work today 😀

^^ There’s surprisingly little traffic disruption these days, as I shut my laptop down and walk downstairs from my office to my living room…😆

Once a week in the office is how it is now. Others don’t even get that much time.

Most of the time my car is nothing more than a sculpture (of sorts) on my driveway. 😶

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ganzoom said:

I pay £0 for our EV but still can use the road, the IS300H is £20........so what point are you trying to get to? May be all EV drivers should give way to you because you pay more VED 😆.

Anyways have a good weekend, hope you weren't stuck for too long in a traffic jam on the way home from work today 😀.

Ah! The J&J maths at work again 😅. As an EV costs significantly more than a similar ICE let's say £10k. As a 40% + NI taxpayer that equates to 20k of earnings before tax. Assuming that you keep the car for 5 years that's 2k a year in tax or not far off a Bentley 🤯

15 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Anyways have a good weekend

Gang you lost the plot here a little .  you intimated, said , you didn't pay VED on your bicycle ............. and on that basis yes, you're quite correct ........ generally however.  I think those who actually PAY to use the roads with road tax should get priority to use them ......  why not  ??          the chancers scrounging road use off the backs of those who directly pay should somehow be differently charged .  or even penalised for avoiding their, to my mind, financial obligations whilst wearing out our hard paid for roads 

Malc

• 7 months later...

@Malc Just to make your start to the year better, I thought I'll let you know I've added to my fleet with another addition. Astounding bit of engineering, and amazing way to enjoy the country roads and still VED free I believe 🙂

Happy 2023!!

52599133577_ec70bf54b6_k_d.jpg

52599882629_ced57ceff8_k_d.jpg

52596991857_27bcf5e0e6_k_d.jpg

I'm really looking forward to getting back out on my bike with the Cheam & Morden cycling club. It's been a good number of weeks now since I went, the bike has had a £300 service in the meantime (needed a bunch of stuff) and I have some nice new warm winter cycling clothes.

Cycling is a great activity. It's unfortunately sometimes let down by the bad cyclists who sail through red lights and generally behave badly, but that's really just humans in general and motorists aren't any better.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, ganzoom said:

@Malc Just to make your start to the year better, I thought I'll let you know I've added to my fleet with another addition. Astounding bit of engineering, and amazing way to enjoy the country roads and still VED free I believe 🙂

Happy 2023!!

52599133577_ec70bf54b6_k_d.jpg

52599882629_ced57ceff8_k_d.jpg

52596991857_27bcf5e0e6_k_d.jpg

Presumably, as an EV owner you need one of these impediments to progress in order to avoid the 3 hour, waiting to charge queues? 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, m4rkw said:

I'm really looking forward to getting back out on my bike with the Cheam & Morden cycling club. It's been a good number of weeks now since I went, the bike has had a £300 service in the meantime (needed a bunch of stuff) and I have some nice new warm winter cycling clothes.

Cycling is a great activity. It's unfortunately sometimes let down by the bad cyclists who sail through red lights and generally behave badly, but that's really just humans in general and motorists aren't any better.

Motorists aren't any better at what may I ask? Sailing through red lights, riding on footpaths, impeding the progress of other road users, imperious to horses and pedestrians, going as fast as possible through rural villages, going two or three abreast worst of all shouting to one another as they go along 🤯😎

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, m4rkw said:

the bike has had a £300 service in the meantime (needed a bunch of stuff)

For £300 I can only hope that the ‘bunch of stuff’ needed was a frame, pedals and two wheels! Good Lord, that’s a lot of money - my RX service at Lexus cost less than that!

1 minute ago, Phil xxkr said:

Motorists aren't any better at what may I ask? Sailing through red lights, riding on footpaths, impeding the progress of other road users, imperious to horses and pedestrians, going as fast as possible through rural villages, going two or three abreast worst of all shouting to one another as they go along 🤯😎

Sure, pick all the bad things you've ever seen a cyclist do and tar them all with the same brush. I could do the same with motorists but it's not productive.

Most of the cyclists you've seen doing something silly probably own cars.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

For £300 I can only hope that the ‘bunch of stuff’ needed was a frame, pedals and two wheels! Good Lord, that’s a lot of money - my RX service at Lexus cost less than that!

It was one wheel, new cassette, new pedals, chain and some other stuff

6 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

I hope it has Dolby B at the very least…😆

I think they also said "sprocket", which I think might be the cassette, either that or it's just bike shop word for "we added £50 to your bill sir"

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, m4rkw said:

Cycling is not a great activity. It was invited as a form of exercise for people without the mentality to walk a dog 🤣

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links