Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So my last topic discussed how super smooth and faultless I was finding the waft-mobile as my current daily. However, trouble was just around the corner 😞

Drove to my destination without issue, finished up for the day and went to come home, car started but ALL the dashlights were on. Thought maybe the cluster itself was up the blink, had an on/off backlighting issue that would occasionally play up, so I proceeded to drive home. As I drove, all the lights went back to normal, but then throughout the 30min journey home, random lights would come on whenever they fancied and about 10mins from home, I completely lost headlights. Sidelights, brake lights and indicators all still worked without issue and dash lights continued their party.

Parked up at home, drove the GS for past few days and went to move the LS today from in front of the house to the back and its dead, extinct, kaput, nada, not even an acknowledgement from the steering column that the key is in the ignition, turn of the key does nothing!

Investigation wise, I have unfortunately done nothing, going away for a week tomorrow and not enough time for fettling. I would put money that it isn't Battery related as that is essentially brand new and of good quality, did have an intermittent starter issue that lasted 2 days and then never showed itself again but can't see how that would cause said issue. Alternator? Cluster itself? Dreaded ECU death?

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

So my last topic discussed how super smooth and faultless I was finding the waft-mobile as my current daily.

Fear not .........  all that bliss will return .  it's your Ls400 ........... that sodding gremlin needs taking out and remorselessly spanked

Dash lights having a Party and alternator failing to charge the newish Battery seems quite likely .......  and worn with age cabling, damp, undue wind ..  too many greens no doubt ...  so just chill and remember that these cars never fail in totality and respond well to tlc

You'll have her for many years to come :yes:

Malc

• Like 2

when mine went, alternator,  there was some confusion over the correct part number for my specific car so double check what's offered to you

Also a sometime premature failure with the alternator could be the power steering reservoir etc leaking into the unit ..... so maybe check that out as a possible cause 

Good luck with it

Malc

• Like 2

Delayed response apologies on my part, took a week off being online 😄

Back in the country tomorrow and will be lugging it down to workshop to have a faff with it, handy knowing people with trailers!

I shall definitely give the alternator a thorough look over.

When I purchased the car, it came with a PS leak, albeit very minor, fixed that immediately as I had heard about the 'ol contamination happening with the alternator but it hadn't seem to have progressed that far.

I'll get the old unit out (if found to be culprit) to double check part no.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well it was the alternator in the end, just been too busy so finally got to it yesterday!

I was just wondering before I go ahead and order one, the ones on offer in UK are 100A, but the rockauto ones are 80A, will that make much of a difference? Also I keep coming across 'option 2' but never an 'option 1' 😆

The alternator I have, unfortunately has 0 markings, part number etc to state wtf it is, any pointers on what is/ isn't the correct one?

TIA 🙂

Not from me I'm afraid ........  my indy sourced the replacement alternator from somewhere in the UK  ( not Lexus, they wanted about £900 rings a bell ) and that cost about £400 I believe + easy fitting I believe

AND as I say, there seemed to be an assortment of the correct one's for my 95 Mk3 car 

later .......

Just tracked down a little info on mine .  it came from Auto Electric Co and at £298.48 January 2020 some 10k miles ago

I've no idea what the supplier is apart from the info here now

Hope maybe some of this might assist you

Malc

• Like 1

If you go on eBay and search ls400 1996 there are an host of options including a used one for comparison with fit requirements.

From what I can deduce the original oem part is not available from overseas suppliers so you will probably end up with a reman regardless as where you source it.

Just buy the cheapest they are a pretty standard manufacturing standard after all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

The alternator I have, unfortunately has 0 markings, part number etc to state wtf it is, any pointers on what is/ isn't the correct one?

Why not take away the uncertainty by having your own alternator refurbished? Everything will be like brand new when the work's completed anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Herbie said:

Why not take away the uncertainty by having your own alternator refurbished? Everything will be like brand new when the work's completed anyway.

So then my next question 😆 how many times can you refurb an alternator?

I have a receipt that came with the car to show the one that has just died on me was refurbished, smidge of a noob so can you refurb a refurb? 😄

1 minute ago, hockeyedwards said:

So then my next question 😆 how many times can you refurb an alternator?

I have a receipt that came with the car to show the one that has just died on me was refurbished, smidge of a noob so can you refurb a refurb? 😄

I don't really see any reason why not, although I'll admit that I've never done it so can't say for sure.

not sure what your mileage is right now, nor at what stage your refurbd alternator was installed .  presumably to replace the original at that time ?

My replacement in 2020 was of the original at 25 years young and at 228k miles

Malc

19 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

I was just wondering before I go ahead and order one, the ones on offer in UK are 100A, but the rockauto ones are 80A, will that make much of a difference? Also I keep coming across 'option 2' but never an 'option 1' 😆

according to epc data it should be 100A

image.thumb.png.4b2c2ea9979f001f196d46c4362a0c3d.png

• Like 1

100A Recon Alternator from EuroCarParts for £180
https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/lucas-alternator-401820111

Most recons are like this, where you buy and fit the recon part, and then ship your old alternator back to be remanufactured.
When they remanufacture, they fit new bearings, brushes, rectifier/regulator, and any other wear parts, and then rewind the coils if needed.
It then goes into stock to be sold to the next guy.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 3:25 PM, Malc said:

AND as I say, there seemed to be an assortment of the correct one's for my 95 Mk3 car 

just reiterating this conundrum .........  all the suppliers approached offered the correct replacement they said   BUT    when it came to it the minefied proved just how taxing actually getting the correct one could be

Best wishes with it all

Malc

• Like 1

Smidge of an update, it was about £20 more to get a new one over reconditioning.

I ordered from autodoc, matched the plug to mine and made sure it was 100A.

Got a phonecall 2 days later 'the part you've ordered is wrong'

Had a good chinwag with the most helpful guy ever, I stated my problem in finding a 100A with correct connector and had done my best to get the correct part, annoyingly the one that came out the car didn't have any markings on it in the slightest!! However, it seems they double checked the part against my reg and then VIN, as reg brings up different options, assured me it had the correct plug and was 100A.

So I've trusted them and had to cough up another £13!! That's like 1L of petrol in todays climate 😆 Was notified it was dispatched yesterday, so we'll see what happens!

Scrolling back through, missed a few Q's, car is at 145k (ish) miles, paperwork file that came with it shows a receipt for a recon alternator but cannot remember if it was 2005 or 2015 on the date. It most definitely had a mixed and tough life before me, still has a drift bar welded in on the rear 😆

Just waiting on H&S to come sign off the workshop and once the money tree at the end of the garden starts to sprout, we'll be good to tear her down 😄

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links