Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Who's on what mobile network and how's its coverage?

Mr Vlad

Hello folks. Not sure if this topic has been done before but if it has it'll probably be out of date. I'm wondering who is on which mobile network but most of all how is the signal where you are. I've been with Vodafone more years than I care to remember but it fails me when I'm in parts of Denbighshire (ok this parts are basically in the middle of nowhere up a mountain and in a valley, I deliver to schools there btw) and I'd like to know how folks network providers fare particularly in Denbighshire and other mountainous areas.

EE - provided by work, so I don't care too much. Network coverage is spotted as well, seems to work mostly ok, but for some reason fails in our office in Canary Wharf which is weird. I always thought Vodafone had best coverage, but I might be wrong.

26 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Hello folks. Not sure if this topic has been done before but if it has it'll probably be out of date. I'm wondering who is on which mobile network but most of all how is the signal where you are. I've been with Vodafone more years than I care to remember but it fails me when I'm in parts of Denbighshire (ok this parts are basically in the middle of nowhere up a mountain and in a valley, I deliver to schools there btw) and I'd like to know how folks network providers fare particularly in Denbighshire and other mountainous areas.

I've been using giffgaff (02) since it started with no complaints. They have an active user community so you could ask them the question, someone will undoubtedly know 👍

On iD mobile (Carephone Warehouse MVNO) - it runs on the 3 network, clearly throttled, Internet often barely useable. It's cheap. Six quid a month for 5GB data and unlimited minutes and texts. I don't really care if it doesn't work, I'll admit.

There are too many variables to give any meaningful answer really.

The best thing (insomuch as there is a best thing) is an app called Network Cell Info. I don't know if it's available for apple (spit, cough) because I hate apple and wouldn't give any of their devices house room, but you can get a Lite version for Android that's free, or the pro version that costs £2.79/year, both from the Google Play Store.

The biggest downfall is that, obviously, it can only connect to the network you currently use. If you have a specific bad spot and you want to know which network handles it best, you'll either need a bunch of SIMs from other operators or get a bunch of your mates on different networks to stand in the same spot.

image.thumb.png.864cb7fb3b389d0c6fc1c991ed0c9dab.png

I'm a Londoner but moved out about 6 months ago (thank you pandemic and WFH!) and have realised how poor it can be when you're not in the main area of a town or city. 

This was the case when I worked in the industry 20 years ago and so was surprised that it's still the same today. 

Whether it's just poor coverage or network congestion it seems that all of the networks are iffy at times. 

At home I have 1-2 bars of 4G on EE so calls work fine but actual data use is crap due to network congestion and them prioritising voLTE. Had a 20% discount running since I moved but it hasn't improved so I'm unsure what I'll do when my contract ends in April. 

Got PAYG sims for the other networks and Vodafone and Three seem to be the same, with O2 only having 3G here but with a full signal mostly but low throughput.

23 minutes ago, Caspa said:

I'm a Londoner but moved out about 6 months ago (thank you pandemic and WFH!) and have realised how poor it can be when you're not in the main area of a town or city. 

This was the case when I worked in the industry 20 years ago and so was surprised that it's still the same today. 

Whether it's just poor coverage or network congestion it seems that all of the networks are iffy at times. 

At home I have 1-2 bars of 4G on EE so calls work fine but actual data use is crap due to network congestion and them prioritising voLTE. Had a 20% discount running since I moved but it hasn't improved so I'm unsure what I'll do when my contract ends in April. 

Got PAYG sims for the other networks and Vodafone and Three seem to be the same, with O2 only having 3G here but with a full signal mostly but low throughput.

Welcome to being in the sticks (if you are?) it's not just loss of people it's also footpaths, street lighting, wide roads, public transport, garages and shops. And of course, consequently a loss of people 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳, what a joy 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳. I'll gladly ignore the former for the latter 👍

• Like 1

Not the sticks, but a newer (15-20 years old) suburb of a city in Cambridgeshire so I'm not really missing anything apart from a decent signal!

I do love the fact that everything is 15 minutes away now, regardless of what time of day or week. 

In London I would never contemplate shopping at the weekend but around here no problem at all!

Useful links

EE Mast Maps

Vodafone Mast Maps

O2 Mast Maps

3 Mast Maps

if you go to these it will show you where the cell masts are, and if you click on a green dot (mast), it will show you how  the cell radiators beam.

It is not totally accurate, but I use it at work to gauge where to point 4G routers aerials towards. 

We had one client near the M5, and only half mile from the mast, but this site showed me that the mast in question was beaming up and down M5, not across it, so we ended up point the 4G across the river Severn to Lydney and got a better signal.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone. I too hate iphones Herbie, wouldn't touch em with an extra long barge pole. 

Linas, your works building probably has a shield sort of thing that won't let mobile signals through. Morrisons supermarkets do to. Vodafone score best for talk in London according to their website. 

It's strange how there are dead spots all over the place. A section, only a few hundred feet, of the M62 about 15 Mike's from Manchester going to Leeds. None of the providers signals are picked up. Aliens 👽  ? 

I'll look at the links. Thanks again 👍🍻

• Like 1

Im with Tesco mobile Vlad its piggybacking the O2 network. I dont think its too bad can struggle when we go to Cornwall (Crantock). Over the years ive found Tesco mobile have the best customer service.

Technically the Vodafone network is near true 4G, so where available gives better data speeds.  The others have 4G masts, but a mix of 3G and 4G backhaul links, which is why you can get good signal but naff speed.  So EE, O2 and 3 going about upgrades slowly but surely. 

• Like 1

I'm with 3 and been with them for a very very very long time

Don't think I've ever had a problem anywhere .  but not been up too many mountains with it I must admit 

Isn't it that these providers just piggyback off the local best provider when they don't themselves have coverage ?

Malc

On 2/21/2022 at 2:42 PM, Cotswold Pete said:

Useful links

EE Mast Maps

Vodafone Mast Maps

O2 Mast Maps

3 Mast Maps

if you go to these it will show you where the cell masts are, and if you click on a green dot (mast), it will show you how  the cell radiators beam.

It is not totally accurate, but I use it at work to gauge where to point 4G routers aerials towards. 

We had one client near the M5, and only half mile from the mast, but this site showed me that the mast in question was beaming up and down M5, not across it, so we ended up point the 4G across the river Severn to Lydney and got a better signal.

I know there's been a number of cell site sharing agreements over the years so it's interesting to see how many that actually works out to, which appears to be most in my area. 

This thread reminds me of my telecommunication days and reminisce about 1999-2004...

1 hour ago, Malc said:

I'm with 3 and been with them for a very very very long time

Don't think I've ever had a problem anywhere .  but not been up too many mountains with it I must admit 

Isn't it that these providers just piggyback off the local best provider when they don't themselves have coverage ?

Malc

No, but as above there's been a number of cell site sharing agreements over the years which has allowed them to save on backhaul and maintenance costs.

• Like 1

I'd say that mobile masts are shared still. I've noticed whilst looking for a new 'contract ' that company A actually uses the EE network. Company B uses O2 etc etc. Thing is tho none of the network providers have the balls to get signals to out of the way places where people do live. Also for visitors who go on drives out to the middle of nowhere etc. 

• Like 1

I changed from O2 to Sky (which still uses O2 network) and reduced my monthly bill from over £21 with O2 to £8 with Sjy for more data.

As for the coverage, I think both O2 and EE have the most coverage BUT th e% goes on the % of population rather than % of countryside.

The other thig to remember is, as they go from 3G to 4G to 5g then the more masts/ transmitters they require as the distance each covers reduces, eg whereas 4G will cover a distance of around 10km in and not severly distrupted by trees etc 5G only covers around 1km and can be distrupted by trees as well as buildings etc.

It will take a lot of time and money to upgrade the majority of the UK to 5G with masts having to be close and everywhere in a similar way that it will take a lot of money and work to get Fibre to Home to more people in the UK (outside cities).

I remember when I was last house hunting some 9 years back a most important consideration was my mobile phone signal

There's a mast close by ....  I can see it across the creek

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links