Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2021 RX 450h - what are the irritations?

I’ve now owned my 2021 RX 450h Premium with Tech and Safety packs for three months, and I’ve covered 1500 miles. I thought I’d go through some of the things that irritate me about it - there aren’t many, but I’m sure other members have things about their RX that similarly just frustrate on such a fantastic car. For me, those things are;

- the rear parcel shelf. I’d much prefer a proper fitted shelf as in my previous NX. The retractable version in the RX feels cheap and is a bit of a faff to use;

- the forward view. I find the windscreen pillar is in a very awkward position based on where I sit;

- the location of the ‘brake hold’ button, and the climate controls. Too low down for easy use on the move;

- practicality. The boot (with seats up) isn’t as big as you’d think and the sloping rear screen really cuts practicality. With the rear seats folded, it can take a LOT of stuff though.

I think that’s about it. The drive, the comfort and the build quality are all superb. I’m loving RX life, and the addition of the touchscreen combined with apple CarPlay has been a game changer for me in terms of using the tech.

• Like 3

I've had mine a little longer, few minor gripes I can think of:

• Cruise control goes up / down in 5mph increments, I'd prefer 1mph increments
  • Tailgate too slow to open / close (I'd be quite happy with a manual one)
  • Windscreen demist button just sets the fan to warp speed and is very loud, I'd prefer electrically heated windscreen
  • On the HUD the outside temperature flashes up for a few seconds when you turn the ignition on, why can't it be displayed all the time as selectable option
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

Tailgate too slow to open / close (I'd be quite happy with a manual one)

I’m not convinced I’m tall enough to be able to reach and pull it down if it was manual…😆

I agree with most of what has been said.

A couple from me:

The materials on the dash (in particular the bit that cylindrical bit that sticks out just above the glove box) are very nice and soft, but mark very very easily.

The surround camera side view (second press of the panoramic view monitor button) is a composite of images (as is the top down view) and it is less useful and accurate that the slightly older system which just showed a straight camera view down the each side of the vehicle.  This is one of those advancements which looks fancy but is actually pretty useless.  The old system was way way better for navigating width restrictors. 

...And a bunch of software bugs detailed elsewhere on this forum.

Paul

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spock66 said:

Cruise control goes up / down in 5mph increments, I'd prefer 1mph increments

That's probably on radar cruise. Switch the radar off and you'll get your 1mph increments back.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

After just over 4 years

1. That bloody awful SatNav

2. Seat memory buttons disabled once in drive mode. I like 2 positions for driving, one in town and another on the open roads so I have to fiddle with the seat adjusters rather than just pushing one button

3. Slow boot operation

4. Not being able to turn off the headlights all together. I’ve had the finger salute on many occasions when the auto lights trigger for a second or so when going under motorway bridges on roundabouts, other driver thinking I’m flashing him/her

• Like 1

I've had mine just over 2 years, no major complaints but my gripes are:

- As mentioned above, the fairly slow electric tailgate, with loud beeping (but resolved the beeping by adjusting the volume);
- The sat nav isn't great, but I've got used to using it;
- As Ed mentions above, the parcel shelf is a bit flimsy;
- I too miss the heated front windscreen of my previous Jag XF, but only a proper for a relatively few days per year.

1 hour ago, mikey2001 said:

- I too miss the heated front windscreen of my previous Jag XF, but only a proper for a relatively few days per year.

Is it only JLR and Ford who offer heated front windscreens? You’d have thought other manufacturers would have started to offer them by now, given how effective they seem to be when compared with the ‘fan’ alternative.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Is it only JLR and Ford who offer heated front windscreens? You’d have thought other manufacturers would have started to offer them by now, given how effective they seem to be when compared with the ‘fan’ alternative.

I think Lexus offer heated windscreen wiper areas in other markets around the world, that would be a partial solution at least for me. Shame this isn't offered in the UK as far as I'm aware.

1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

I understand that Ford have either a patent or exclusivity on heated windscreens in the U.K. which has been extended to JLR due to the patent/exclusivity being in place when JLR was under Ford ownership 

• Like 2

My annoyances match a good few above. I'd really prefer to have a jog dial like the BMW iDrive as well as the trackpad.

12V Battery drain - I wouldn't trust leaving it for more than a couple of weeks.

HUD control from a phone would be nice (Android in my case) although screen in between the dials seems to show directions.

14 minutes ago, PeterI said:

I'd really prefer to have a jog dial like the BMW iDrive as well as the trackpad.

Trackpad is far from perfect, but with the addition of the touchscreen things are far better. I’ve owned a car with iDrive since 2004 (from new) and hate it with a passion. We have lots of BMW company car drivers in my organisation and broadly those over 50 years old hate iDrive and those under 40 love it. I’m not sure why that should be the case, but I’ve certainly never found it intuitive at all.

43 minutes ago, RXtoNX said:

I understand that Ford have either a patent or exclusivity on heated windscreens in the U.K. which has been extended to JLR due to the patent/exclusivity being in place when JLR was under Ford ownership 

Yes I believe that's the history but either the patent has expired or other manufacturers have paid a license as now available on VW Group, BMW and Mercedes amongst others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

Trackpad is far from perfect, but with the addition of the touchscreen things are far better. I’ve owned a car with iDrive since 2004 (from new) and hate it with a passion. We have lots of BMW company car drivers in my organisation and broadly those over 50 years old hate iDrive and those under 40 love it. I’m not sure why that should be the case, but I’ve certainly never found it intuitive at all.

So what about those of us in the 40-50 bracket, are we indifferent lol 😉

• Like 2

There are a few annoyances,

Cruise control will run away downhill then complain about it

The beeping from tailgate, why it beeps to tell you when you pressed the button I don’t know, if it was from inside the car I could understand.

That the stereo goes off with the ignition (previous Volvo would stay on until the door was opened)

Whilst the hybrid system is far from rubbish I would love to see the version IV hybrid system with the V6, having seen it in others cars it is far superior

My main dislike is the infotainment which is clunky and the scrolling down a list just awful.

• Like 1

Some of the sat nav pronunciations are pretty weird on my 2018 model, for example:

• Lundun for London
  • Cheapstow for Chepstow

A colleagues BMW sat nav amuses me because it always says please, eg please turn left at the roundabout

• Haha 2

Noticed on my test drive that the new NX has the classic Lexus female voice, but there's a different one for the actual road names... 

Sounded more Google maps like. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Caspa said:

Noticed on my test drive that the new NX has the classic Lexus female voice, but there's a different one for the actual road names... 

Sounded more Google maps like. 

My RX has two female voices too, with certain road names being spoken by the 2nd voice. I've nicknamed the main voice on my sat-nav as Doris 😄 Sometimes she seems to pronouce 'High Street' as 'Higher Street', but again that might be my hearing 😄

7 minutes ago, mikey2001 said:

My RX has two female voices too, with certain road names being spoken by the 2nd voice. I've nicknamed the main voice on my sat-nav as Doris 😄 Sometimes she seems to pronouce 'High Street' as 'Higher Street', but again that might be my hearing 😄

I haven’t used the Lexus navigation on my previous NX or my new RX for ages. Using apple CarPlay, on Waze I used Red Fraggle as the voice for ages, but have recently switched to Boy George…😆

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, mikey2001 said:

I think it was different from the old system, but not 100% as haven't used mine in a while and turned the sound off anyway!

She sounds a little forceful lol...

39 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

I haven’t used the Lexus navigation on my previous NX or my new RX for ages. Using Apple CarPlay, on Waze I used Red Fraggle as the voice for ages, but have recently switched to Boy George…😆

Ah, Fraggle Rock... Now that takes me back!

• Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 8:07 PM, Spock66 said:

I don't believe that option is available on any UK spec car.

We have it in our 2007 IS250, 2012 RX450h and 2017GSF, so I’m surprised if it is not available on the 4RX. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links