Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Why are folk selling their is250's

On 9/16/2022 at 8:25 AM, H3XME said:

Imprezas are also fugly in my opinion. I only like the VAB, the latest 2015+ shape. Otherwise I'd pick a legacy over other imprezas. I also really like the Levorg, but shame they never put a decent engine in it..

Subaru has long stopped making any intresting cars, Levorg's look to be CVT only, even the new Impreza look CVT.

Here are nice Legacy models and would go like a bat out of hell

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2007-subaru-liberty-gt-tuned-by-sti-4gen-manual-awd-my07/SSE-AD-13447759/?Cr=10

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2008-subaru-liberty-gt-tuned-by-sti-4gen-manual-awd-my08/SSE-AD-12791247/?Cr=12

11 hours ago, markeyszoo said:

Having passed three score and 10 some years ago, I consider myself qualified to speak on the subject of old men and "stick" or manual gear change as we used to call it.

What you forgot is that my generation hardly saw any automatic gearboxes and nearly all learned to drive manual cars.

We may not choose to drive manual now but it is like riding a bike, you never forget, and anyway is not that great a skill.

I think people who can drive a manual gearbox have a better understanding, empathy even of how a car works in general - my missus is from Asia and only uses Auto - she has no clue how a manual stick works -- she says she can drive one but she is not using my car to try out her skills.

There is nothing wrong with autos and my next car will probably be one but manual’s will always have a place in the automotive world and some of the most expensive cars ever are manual

On 9/17/2022 at 11:33 PM, toffee_pie said:

I think people who can drive a manual gearbox have a better understanding, empathy even of how a car works in general - my missus is from Asia and only uses Auto - she has no clue how a manual stick works -- she says she can drive one but she is not using my car to try out her skills.

There is nothing wrong with autos and my next car will probably be one but manual’s will always have a place in the automotive world and some of the most expensive cars ever are manual

i have driven manuals where the "stick" was on the column and had only 3 gears, a vauxhall and a hillman. I have driven where the "stick " was sticking out of the dashboard, Renault and many where it sat on the floor. None was as good as the auto on my Lexus.

38 minutes ago, markeyszoo said:

i have driven manuals where the "stick" was on the column and had only 3 gears, a vauxhall and a hillman. I have driven where the "stick " was sticking out of the dashboard, Renault and many where it sat on the floor. None was as good as the auto on my Lexus.

Yeah, no wonder.. it's because they were 50 year old manuals. Try today's manuals in some sports cars with close ratio gearbox and short throw shifters. MK4 MX-5, 370Z, GT86, Cayman, all good examples. Driving a manual even in a car like MK7 golf still cannot be compared to the nice heavy, short, straight shifts of a RWD car. Even then, those are great manual boxes but it's down to the preference, so if you don't like manual, you'll still pick the IS250 auto box over them. There are also much better automatic gearboxes in modern cars, IS250 is an early 2000s tech. 

40 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

WOW where did you get it from Matt and how much if you don't mind me asking. What spec is it?

I got it from a person who personally imports cars from Japan. It's a 2007 SE-L equivalent with some added JDM extras. Currently got 46k miles so very low (just like my IS250). 

Here's a picture of it. You can follow my Instagram page for it if you wish @jdm_is350_uk 

20220917_150023.jpg

20220917_150012.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

Does it have ML system? I don't do Instagram or facebook etc.

You should post on here as your posts will be read with great intrigue. 

No it doesn't have ML, thats about the only. After some research before buying it I've found two things that are rare on JDM 2nd gen IS... Mark Levinson and Sunroof. 

My IS250 SE has ML and comparing it to my IS350 it's not that great of a difference in my opinion.

Thinking about it that's a good idea, I'll start a new thread about the IS350

• Like 2

Well that's a pity about the 350 not having ML. Since your 250 has is there a difference between the two on the rear shelf? That's where the sub speakers are. I'm surprised that there's not much difference between ML and none ML cars. I've had 2 is300h premium. Identical cars but oh so different. The ML in the first was rubbish compared to the second one which was superb. 

Looking forward to reading your 350 posts.

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

Well that's a pity about the 350 not having ML. Since your 250 has is there a difference between the two on the rear shelf? That's where the sub speakers are. I'm surprised that there's not much difference between ML and none ML cars. I've had 2 is300h premium. Identical cars but oh so different. The ML in the first was rubbish compared to the second one which was superb. 

Looking forward to reading your 350 posts.

If I'm honest after comparing the two for about a month I'm hard pressed to notice much difference. The two speakers on the rear shelf are identical in size. Only difference would be the amp from my experience. 

Picture with the rear shade is the IS35020220924_125343.thumb.jpg.edcfa8ded6506c9228902e4bea8565c1.jpg20220924_125157.thumb.jpg.49e0070eb4ca3d5b37ce35e5308d7623.jpg

Yes very similar indeed. Those are the sub speakers. The ML has 2 more speakers nearer the rear window. Anyway I'm sure you're going to thoroughly enjoy your 350. Looking forward to the thread about it on here.

3 hours ago, dking22 said:

rip out the ML and swap to 350. Nobody cares about that 250 anyway not having the ML

never heard the IS without ML so cant speak for difference. Avoided cars without ML/NAV because first owner was probably too cheap to buy that new so the car may be badly maintained also.  

Just sold the IS250 today. If I wanted better speakers I'd upgrade them and it's on the bottom of my list for mods. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Yes very similar indeed. Those are the sub speakers. The ML has 2 more speakers nearer the rear window. Anyway I'm sure you're going to thoroughly enjoy your 350. Looking forward to the thread about it on here.

I've counted 14 speakers in my IS350, and it was my understanding the ML has 14 speakers and the standard has 13, strange haha. 

Anyway, here's the thread I created for the IS350, not sure if I've done it in the correct place. I rarely use this website and I'm more active on the Facebook groups 

27 minutes ago, MattDH said:

I've counted 14 speakers in my IS350, and it was my understanding the ML has 14 speakers and the standard has 13, strange haha. 

I believe it depends on age. After the facelift the non-ML systems had the extra centre speaker by the windscreen but didn't previously. Most of the speakers themselves are different quality between normal and ML.

Colin. How would one find out the specification of the speakers in a ML system when upon inspection of such speaker there are no indicators at all?

I've looked at mine with a view to renew but there again my home speakers are over 40 years old and still sound class 1. 

On 9/24/2022 at 8:35 PM, MattDH said:

If I wanted better speakers I'd upgrade them and it's on the bottom of my list for mods. 

You're better off without ML if you was to upgrade to better sound system. I wanted a better subwoofer hooked up to the stock amp, and it's not possible without changing the amp and head unit as well. It's a bit complicated for some reason. Yours would be open to aftermarket solutions easier than any ML cars.

Lucas since you've already has sub issues and sorted them with replacements. I can't remember if you investigated your amp. I'm assuming the amp has a separate sub output. If that's the case then adding a separate sub should be easy as the sub signal is there and also an amp trigger 12v supply. 

I must look at mine out of curiosity. 

9 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Lucas since you've already has sub issues and sorted them with replacements. I can't remember if you investigated your amp. I'm assuming the amp has a separate sub output. If that's the case then adding a separate sub should be easy as the sub signal is there and also an amp trigger 12v supply. 

I must look at mine out of curiosity. 

I went through 2 or 3 subs and then late last year the amp died too. I think it just over heated as a lot of rubbish collects in the breather hole behind the rear bumper. I've got a "new" junk yard amp and it's working fine now. I love the sound system. I don't need more bass or loudness but it just seems that it doesn't like playing heavy bass songs on full volume. It just breaks over time. Longevity is the issue rather than performance.
See, this is what I thought but I took it to a sound system shop by me and they said I'd need new amp to be able to run an aftermarket sub as this one won't generate enough power for it. But then changing an amp wouod result in needing an aftermarket head unit too because it's all so connected. Normally you'd be able to listen to radio still if your amp dies, but when mine died I had nothing. Not even the volume indicator on the screen would come up. It's very much interconnected. 

6 hours ago, H3XME said:

You're better off without ML if you was to upgrade to better sound system. I wanted a better subwoofer hooked up to the stock amp, and it's not possible without changing the amp and head unit as well. It's a bit complicated for some reason. Yours would be open to aftermarket solutions easier than any ML cars.

Yeah I'm not that fussed to have ML. And the speakers in my is350 are adequate for now and sound decent enough 

Lucas as for an aftermarket sub I'm suspecting you were after a 10" 12" or 14" sub. Then yes a fair bit of trouble. However the Alpine 815sw is a self powered 8" boxed sub which I can tell you nearly had the rear windows out of a mk3 focus and 2 mk4.5 mondeos I had. Dead simple to wire. Just needs a signal a ignition feed to start the amp and a 12v fused supply. Small yet ruddy mighty. Food for thought. And yes Radio 1 drum n bass show played very very well on the very very lows.

2 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Lucas as for an aftermarket sub I'm suspecting you were after a 10" 12" or 14" sub. Then yes a fair bit of trouble. However the Alpine 815sw is a self powered 8" boxed sub which I can tell you nearly had the rear windows out of a mk3 focus and 2 mk4.5 mondeos I had. Dead simple to wire. Just needs a signal a ignition feed to start the amp and a 12v fused supply. Small yet ruddy mighty. Food for thought. And yes Radio 1 drum n bass show played very very well on the very very lows.

Yeah i had a 12 or 14” box sub ready. Can’t remember as i sold it now i cant use it

On 9/23/2022 at 11:58 AM, markeyszoo said:

They are not close ratio gearboxes, you need to drive performance cars to get a feel for the variety of gear sticks out there - Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Ford - apples and oranges to most other types

On 9/24/2022 at 8:37 PM, MattDH said:

I've counted 14 speakers in my IS350

Did you import from Japan? congrats on owning such a rare vehicle

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links